Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:55 AM

The FOV has been increased back to 90 degrees in the Halo 3!

Bungie has seen fit to extend the FOV to 90 degrees, or thereabouts, at least in MP. Haven't played the SP yet, so don't know if it is the same for it. There is no question about it, the FOV has drastically been increased. This is the single best thing that could have ever been fixed with halo 3. I had a 15 page long thread in the bungie halo 3 beta forums on the 70 FOV subject, and maybe Bungie seen this and thereby fixed the FOV. Not only that, but the over all feel of halo 3's mp is back to the original halo MP. This is a great change for all of the halo 1 die hard fans out there.

Halo 1 players unite, and welcome back a familiar friend!

The graphics are amazing. The MP graphics have been improved over the beta's quite a bit. The soldiers in the SP are the only thing that do not look great, but they at least look good. IMO, halo 3 has the best overall graphics on the 360. Better then GoW (I was not overly impressed with the grainy graphics, and the crappy up-close textures). The colors are vibrant and rich, and everything is extremely detailed. The only thing that bothered me was the shell casings. They look horribly textured and fake like yellow straw. If they only look like the real, brass color of the shell casings in halo 1, and stayed on the ground longer like they did in halo 1, it would be perfect.

Anyway, to sum it up:

- FOV has been increased back to 90 degrees

- MP feel like the original halo 1 (not just a direct effect from increasing the FOV (of which it did a lot), but they tuned it considerably from the beta)

I came in expecting Bungie to blunder another halo game, but came away very pleased.

Edited by Foe-hammer, 27 September 2007 - 04:58 AM.

#2 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:00 AM

you got that right man. halo 1 loved it and xlink/kai multiplayer owned. halo 2 blunder job inbalanced mp and cheating noobness so mutch so i refused to ever own a copy even thow one was given to me for free by a hardcore fan that knew i would not buy it. it was a sad attempt to get me to play never did work.

halo 3 so far i have been inpresed with it and i have played mp and single and co-op modes. i have ran across some cheating aruldy mostly the classic couse alot of leg trick but even with there cheating we still owned the noobs in the ground. i do own halo 3 bought it on launch day i knew when all the noobs where screaming the mp beta sucked couse they couldent be noobs i knew it was gonna be a good one.

yes i suck but i havent played a halo game in years im quickly getting better thow. matchmaking is still annoying. you should be able to set the game mode you whant to play like big team multiflage ctf or whatever you like like 99.99% of xbox live games. yes thers custom modes where you can invite your frends but still. and as i said launch day and noobs where aruldy trying to cheat i hope it does not become a huge issue like it did with halo 2 to the point ill refuse to play it online ever again.

#3 Maverick0984

Maverick0984

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(luther349 @ Sep 27 2007, 01:36 AM) View Post

you got that right man. halo 1 loved it and xlink/kai multiplayer owned. halo 2 blunder job inbalanced mp and cheating noobness so mutch so i refused to ever own a copy even thow one was given to me for free by a hardcore fan that knew i would not buy it. it was a sad attempt to get me to play never did work.

halo 3 so far i have been inpresed with it and i have played mp and single and co-op modes. i have ran across some cheating aruldy mostly the classic couse alot of leg trick but even with there cheating we still owned the noobs in the ground. i do own halo 3 bought it on launch day i knew when all the noobs where screaming the mp beta sucked couse they couldent be noobs i knew it was gonna be a good one.

yes i suck but i havent played a halo game in years im quickly getting better thow. matchmaking is still annoying. you should be able to set the game mode you whant to play like big team multiflage ctf or whatever you like like 99.99% of xbox live games. yes thers custom modes where you can invite your frends but still. and as i said launch day and noobs where aruldy trying to cheat i hope it does not become a huge issue like it did with halo 2 to the point ill refuse to play it online ever again.

"aruldy"

is that supposed to be already? in the future can you read through your posts. It is kind of hard to follow. I think you need like 1 or 20 commas tongue.gif.

#4 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

Good post and its the same feeling I got when I booted it up. Feels like Halo all over again.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#5 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:47 PM

what is FOV

#6 Himura

Himura

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Sep 27 2007, 10:23 AM) View Post

what is FOV

Field of Vision/View

Edited by Himura, 27 September 2007 - 10:13 PM.

#7 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:19 AM

I agree 100% they nailed this shit out of this one. My only minor quible is you can't have saved stats on guests in halo 3 but it is very minor.

Way to go bunjie biggrin.gif

#8 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

Upon further investigation, sadly the single-screen widescreen MP Field Of View (FOV) is not 90 degrees FOV. It is 70 FOV. But...the split-screen widescreen MP FOV is 92 degrees.

Here is a run-down and comparison of the FOVs:

Halo 3's FOV:

Widescreen: 70 FOV

Standard screen: 55 FOV

Split-Screen, Widescreen: 92 FOV

Halo 2's FOV:

Widescreen: 80 FOV

Standard screen: 65 FOV

Splitscreen Horizontal: 75 FOV (w/severely reduced vertical FOV)

Halo:CE's FOV:

Standard screen: *70 FOV

Splitscreen: 110 FOV

*Surprised that Halo 1 was only 70 FOV? I was. I thought it was 90 FOV. But keep in mind that is for a standard 4:3 screen. So even though Halo 3 is also 70 FOV, that is only in Widescreen. So in effect, you are getting Halo 1's 70 FOV and chopping off the top and bottom of the screen... the Vertical FOV is severely reduced compared to Halo 1. In comparison, Halo 3's standard 4:3 FOV is a horribly narrow 55 FOV.

Bungie should make the standard 4:3 screen 70 FOV, and then from there increase the Horizontal FOV for Widescreen 16:9. For Hell's sake, the widescreen splitscreen is 90 FOV, why not have the widescreen for single the same? Why Bungie loves to have less FOV then any other FPS, is beyond me... and very annoying.

Edited by Foe-hammer, 17 November 2007 - 12:55 PM.

#9 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

yeah I was going to say, it didn't feel much wider than Halo 2.

#10 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:40 AM

I first played it on a 19" computer monitor in split-screen, and it look and indeed had a larger FOV (92 degrees) then Halo 2. I didn't realize at the time that single screen FOV was reduced to 70 FOV. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users