• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:50 PM

Dean Takahashi's 800 USD Halo 3 Schwag Bag
Posted by XanTium | September 27 13:50 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From next-gen.biz:

This is perhaps the schwag bag to end all schwag bags...
Game journo Dean Takahashi with The San Jose Mercury News showed off his big $800-plus bag of Halo 3 propaganda sent to him by Microsoft.

He's sending back the free stuff, which he called "nothing less than a bribe to try to get me to be favorably inclined to accepting the idea that Halo 3 is 'the entertainment event of the year.'"

Full Story: next-gen.biz | blogs.mercurynews.com

#2 xess

xess

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

He can send it to me if he likes!

#3 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:29 PM

He could of made $1800 on Ebay, oh well his loss.

#4 Deihmos

Deihmos

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

This guy must be the biggest idiot of all time.

#5 TexT

TexT

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

Welcome to the industry, doesn't sound abnormal. Every (larger) publisher does this, sends you cool shit, sends you to exotic locales, expensive hotels, etc. to preview games.

So, nothing new.

#6 stevenalvarado

stevenalvarado

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Location:Costa Rica PlayStation3 Version: none Nintendo Wii Version: v4.1u
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

So what... he likes what he likes. He´s no idiot. I respect his preferences.
Besides he must know what 'the real entertainment event of the year' is.

If it isnt Halo 3 then what is?

#7 cloudyimpulse

cloudyimpulse

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

I listened to the actual podcast, and he mentions that they aren't allowed to accept "gifts" so that's why they are sending it back. I'm sure if he could of kept it, he would of. It's not like he gave it an unfavorable review. What's funny is that he played it for 12 hours straight, and at around hour number 11 he got motion sickness and ended up throwing up. LOL!

I thought what was funny, is that in the Halo bag was a First Aid Kit... Was microsoft planning on people needing that? In the case of the reviewer, he should of used it after throwing up. Anywhot, that is all.

--Sarah

Edited by cloudyimpulse, 27 September 2007 - 08:53 PM.

#8 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(stevenalvarado @ Sep 27 2007, 02:59 PM) View Post

So what... he likes what he likes. He´s no idiot. I respect his preferences.
Besides he must know what 'the real entertainment event of the year' is.

If it isnt Halo 3 then what is?

i agree somewhat about the "gift acceptance" issue - as a physician i have to be careful about how much "free" stuff i accept from the pharmaceutical industry - not that it would truly cause me to change my prescribing habits, but it can cast a negative shadow on my practice. i assume that it could be the same with him causing others to see his journalism as "less than legitimate."

but, seriously, with Halo 3 being the biggest release in US entertainment history (of all time), and the year almost over, what would the real entertainment event of the year be?

#9 noxious1

noxious1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:05 AM

800 USD bribe from microsoft... pretty sure if they wanted to bribe someone, they would throw a little more cash than that.

#10 MartinC

MartinC

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE(TexT @ Sep 27 2007, 07:58 PM) View Post

Welcome to the industry, doesn't sound abnormal. Every (larger) publisher does this, sends you cool shit, sends you to exotic locales, expensive hotels, etc. to preview games.

So, nothing new.

What is abnormal is the extent that Microsoft goes to compared to other companies.

I live in Australia & the other day I was listening to the radio & the entertainer was telling a small story of how his son wanted an XBOX 360 so bad now Halo 3 was coming out, I thought nothing of it, just a story but then when the next day he went on about the same story & I noticed the XBOX & Microsoft were put in after every 5 words or so he spoke I starting to think something was fi$hy.

#11 baghnah

baghnah

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:28 AM

this always happens with every new game coming out. they always say it causes the 3 red lights. it happened with forza2 and guitar hero 2 as well.

#12 Hopeful

Hopeful

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE(Xbox-Scene @ Sep 27 2007, 07:26 PM) View Post

From next-gen.biz:

This is perhaps the schwag bag to end all schwag bags...
Game journo Dean Takahashi with The San Jose Mercury News showed off his big $800-plus bag of Halo 3 propaganda sent to him by Microsoft.

He's sending back the free stuff, which he called "nothing less than a bribe to try to get me to be favorably inclined to accepting the idea that Halo 3 is 'the entertainment event of the year.'"

FINALLY! Someone with some reason and honor! I salute this guy for seeing through the obvious bullshit, unlike most people. This actually made me smile.

It's sad how blind most of us are. Marketing shit and popularity OWNS most of us, no matter HOW bad or plain the product is. The halo series is a HUGE testament to that. But finally, here's a story of someone being smarter than that.

Examining this game FACTUALLY SHOWS that it is one of the lowest quality recent games ever designed. I'm not talking opinion. I'm talking measuring the actual contents offered for admissible evidence of depth or epicness. (Epic - Surpassing the usual or ordinary)

-The controllable interface
Walking, moving by vehicle, or firing ammo of varying speeds, powers and graphic-effects, and a couple of melee bops. That's literally ALL the substance involved. sleeping.gif It lacks even the simplest innovations like diving, contextual actions or a cover button. This is an observable and measurable trait of the game, and has nothing to do with opinion. These facts demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that it has little to no substance on this level.

-The story
...is incredibly depth-barren and ordinary. It also has no real meaningful or even brain-phasing moments. It consists almost entirely of an ordinary and idiot-accessible type of story recycled in cheesy movies: Combating alien monsters trying to kill society. Yet another variation. rolleyes.gif Literally and factually, not much separates it from "Power Rangers" level material, other than higher quality voice acting. Everything is simple enough to be absorbed by most people who understand how to walk or talk. It is as "original" and "deep" as star 'gate','trek','wars' or anything else with combat-groups fighting aliens. It has a few measly backbones trying to add believability or depth, but they're flimsy and far between. About 5% of the story is backed, if that, and floats in about 95% unbelievable alien bs simply prompting you to pump more ammo. Again, when you look at these facts, you have to admit in all honesty, whether you like the game or not, that it has no substance or anything surpassing the ordinary on THIS level. It's the mental equivalent of a child's candy, having no real mental nutrition.

-The graphics/atmosphere
...Graphics are admittedly less important than how a game is layed out. However, they are responsible for a main part that no one discusses: The atmosphere. Because of that, there's simply no excuse for a game to look less than on-par today. Halo 3 doesn't look terrible, but most other recent next-gen games look a LOT better, having measurably more detailed textures, 3-D landscapes and objects in general. The fact that the game isn't other than ordinary in either control or story places EXTRA priority on atmosphere, where the game is measurably empty too. The fact that generally the stages are barren with mostly cold steel walls and almost no manned elements aside from weapons, vehicles and your own team makes it more barren. Where are the towns and citizens and building workers? Some of the light or particle based effects are beautiful, but in fact they are details and mostly handled by the graphics card. When looked at with an unbiased eye, the graphics are passable and balanced but don't really shine as exceptional. Measuring the graphics in proportion to other games would show lower res textures, blander pictures as a whole, and passable but not above par graphics.

When you consider these facts, whether opinion-wise you like the game or not, if you're being honest you have to admit that it never escapes or surpasses the ordinary. Ordinary controllable actions, ordinary vehicles, ordinary sci-fi ships, ordinary cliche'ed and depthless sci-fi story, etc.

Yet most of us STILL buy the hype and accept it as if it were some high quality masterpiece with depth. This is one more piece of the abundant evidence that most of us are as mindless as a herd of sheep and can't even see it because it's not obvious ENOUGH.

Hooray that there's an exception. It feels like hope. pop.gif

Edited by Hopeful, 28 September 2007 - 01:37 AM.

#13 ubernewb

ubernewb

now 58% uber'er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:31 AM

i could care less about him throwing the crap out the window.. if he doesn't want it then so be it... no big loss for me, so why should i care?

what i do care about is that this bag of douche took it upon himself to lash out at the fanboys with the spoiler.. problem is, it wasn't just the fanboys that saw it.. normal people like me who enjoy the game saw it.. that was just childish on his part. i for one will never visit that site again, unless that little brat lam is punished for his blatant disreguard for his readers..

#14 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Hopeful @ Sep 27 2007, 07:56 PM) View Post

FINALLY! Someone with some reason and honor! I salute this guy for seeing through the obvious bullshit, unlike most people. This actually made me smile.

It's sad how blind most of us are. Marketing shit and popularity OWNS most of us, no matter HOW bad or plain the product is. The halo series is a HUGE testament to that. But finally, here's a story of someone being smarter than that.

Examining this game FACTUALLY SHOWS that it is one of the lowest quality recent games ever designed. I'm not talking opinion. I'm talking measuring the actual contents offered for admissible evidence of depth or epicness. (Epic - Surpassing the usual or ordinary)

Walking, moving by vehicle, or firing ammo of varying speeds, powers and graphic-effects, and a couple of melee bops. That's literally ALL the substance involved. sleeping.gif It lacks even the simplest innovations like diving, contextual actions or a cover button. This is an observable and measurable trait of the game, and has nothing to do with opinion. These facts demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that it has little to no substance on this level.

-The story
...is incredibly depth-barren and ordinary. It also has no real meaningful or even brain-phasing moments. It consists almost entirely of an ordinary and idiot-accessible type of story recycled in cheesy movies: Combating alien monsters trying to kill society. Yet another variation. rolleyes.gif Literally and factually, not much separates it from "Power Rangers" level material, other than higher quality voice acting. Everything is simple enough to be absorbed by most people who understand how to walk or talk. It is as "original" and "deep" as star 'gate','trek','wars' or anything else with combat-groups fighting aliens. It has a few measly backbones trying to add believability or depth, but they're flimsy and far between. About 5% of the story is backed, if that, and floats in about 95% unbelievable alien bs simply prompting you to pump more ammo. Again, when you look at these facts, you have to admit in all honesty, whether you like the game or not, that it has no substance or anything surpassing the ordinary on THIS level. It's the mental equivalent of a child's candy, having no real mental nutrition.

-The graphics/atmosphere
...Graphics are admittedly less important than how a game is layed out. However, they are responsible for a main part that no one discusses: The atmosphere. Because of that, there's simply no excuse for a game to look less than on-par today. Halo 3 doesn't look terrible, but most other recent next-gen games look a LOT better, having measurably more detailed textures, 3-D landscapes and objects in general. The fact that the game isn't other than ordinary in either control or story places EXTRA priority on atmosphere, where the game is measurably empty too. The fact that generally the stages are barren with mostly cold steel walls and almost no manned elements aside from weapons, vehicles and your own team makes it more barren. Where are the towns and citizens and building workers? Some of the light or particle based effects are beautiful, but in fact they are details and mostly handled by the graphics card. When looked at with an unbiased eye, the graphics are passable and balanced but don't really shine as exceptional. Measuring the graphics in proportion to other games would show lower res textures, blander pictures as a whole, and passable but not above par graphics.

When you consider these facts, whether opinion-wise you like the game or not, if you're being honest you have to admit that it never escapes or surpasses the ordinary. Ordinary controllable actions, ordinary vehicles, ordinary sci-fi ships, ordinary cliche'ed and depthless sci-fi story, etc.

Yet most of us STILL buy the hype and accept it as if it were some high quality masterpiece with depth. This is one more piece of the abundant evidence that most of us are as mindless as a herd of sheep and can't even see it because it's not obvious ENOUGH.

you obviously have some serious anger management issues that really need to be worked out with probably lots of counseling...

it is perfectly fine to not like the Halo series (everyone has personal choice) but it was the biggest US entertainment release in history and thus definitely has way more merit than you attribute to the series, the game and the depth of story. i hated everything that has to do with the lord of the rings, but i am intelligent enough to respect that it did make a huge impact across the globe and that many absolutely love the trilogy. your arguments are quite baseless and just seem laced with hate and anger...i hope that you can move on while the rest of the world enjoys Halo...

#15 PerfectGun

PerfectGun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE(Hopeful @ Sep 27 2007, 05:56 PM) View Post

-The story

-The graphics/atmosphere

Do you feel better now?? Did Master Cheif beat you up or something?? Guess what genious!? I loved the game and I feel the game has some serious depth. With the SP, Co-Op campaign, Multiplayer, Forge and the Theatre options this has more "meat" to it then any game of recent memory. Btw, you say you aren't talking opinion but your whole post is just that, an opinion, otherwise I would be agreeing with you.

It's HALO, what did you expect?? I don't go into a Die Hard movie expecting it to be the next Godfather/academy award winning movie. The game does what it does best and that's a straight up FPS with a decent story and some excellent multiplayer.

I will agree I expected more from the graphics, but again, it looks and feels like Halo.

I could go on but I wont.. You obviously set your expectations thru the roof or you are a jaded gamer. This seems like the kind of rant I would hear from a loser Sony fanboy. I'm not accusing you of being one but I can't fathom why someone who hates this game so much would waste the time whining about it in a forum post.

On Topic:
Dean T. is a bozo and he is doing this to get attention. How many go to this guy or the San Jose Chronicle to get your gaming news and reviews???? Yeah, thats what I thought... Nowhere did MS say, give this game a good score and you can keep this swag! Keep the stuff and give it a 0/100, nobody is forcing him(apart from company policy). I think someone needs to pick up a dictionary and read the defination of a bribe. Also, this is nothing new to the industry and reviewers often get products for free. All the stuff he received was Halo related, why didn't he review the whole package as maybe that was MS's intent. Funny thing is, he still gave it a great review.. But again who cares..

Edited by PerfectGun, 28 September 2007 - 02:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users