• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:35 AM

Halo 3 Disc Read Errors Rampant *Updated*
Posted by XanTium | September 27 19:35 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From kotaku.com:

A storm is brewing in both the Xbox and Bungie forums, where over a hundred posters have now verified that their copies of Halo 3 are causing disc read errors. lockups, and even the dreaded RRoD on their Xbox 360 consoles. From what I can glean from skimming through the 22 pages of replies to the original poster's problem, most of the people affected purchased the standard edition, though a few are reporting having the problem on both the standard and the LE version of the game.

*Update* From teamxbox.com:

Added a user submitted video. The user shows that his disc has no scratches at all...

Full Story: kotaku.com | forums.xbox.com | bungie.net | teamxbox.com

#2 TexT

TexT

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:10 AM

Wow, over 2 million sold and we have a few people getting read errors lol

SDF

#3 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:14 AM

Yea sound a litle wierd to me, like those systems were destined for failure. And why would it happen to only one version they are all the same game.

Whatever i haven't had any problems so i can only speak for myself.

#4 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:15 AM

It happens with all games really, usually a certain percent are bad. With halo 3 selling millions, there are many more cases of this and since bungie is such a big site/forum, I'd bet that all the little 10 year olds are crying blody murder because their copy of halo 3 mommy just picked up for them doesn't work and want to bitch about it on bungie's forum, awwww sad.gif

jester.gif

I also find it humerus when people blame updates/specific games for causing the RLOD, like "oh, hey man, don't play halo3, it gives you the 3 red lights of death I hear!!"

Edited by blame canada, 28 September 2007 - 12:17 AM.

#5 Anonnos

Anonnos

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:23 AM

Someone is trying to sabotage the greatness that is halo 3. Oh dear. blink.gif

#6 miggidy

miggidy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:27 AM

I have a gut feeling that many of these people's consoles are on the verge of bricking due to the RROD.
And the sudden prolonged playing of Halo 3 is the nail in their coffin.

With that said, many of them say that other games work fine....
This reminds me of the errors I used to get from Oblivion.
Every now and then the game would lock up.
But not to the point where it was frustrating....

Edited by miggidy, 28 September 2007 - 12:29 AM.

#7 dvsone

dvsone

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:36 AM

Only problem I've had is falling over a cliff just as I just hit a checkpoint. Execute infinite loop, haha.

Sucks that these people are having problems, hopefully they can get swift replacements.

#8 fullmore

fullmore

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:37 AM

I have one of those copies. Luckily, I have a 2nd 360 that does play the disc. I posted and looked everywhere with little to no help. I knew something was wrong, just didn't know what.
I can understand the problem when pressing so many copies, however Microsoft should give more than just I'm sorry, we'll fix it. A free month of Xbox live or some MS points. Something to make amends for the unfortunate fans who bought Halo3 and were shot down.
In retail, the customer is always right.

#9 snkbte

snkbte

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE(fullmore @ Sep 27 2007, 08:13 PM) View Post

I have one of those copies. Luckily, I have a 2nd 360 that does play the disc. I posted and looked everywhere with little to no help. I knew something was wrong, just didn't know what.
I can understand the problem when pressing so many copies, however Microsoft should give more than just I'm sorry, we'll fix it. A free month of Xbox live or some MS points. Something to make amends for the unfortunate fans who bought Halo3 and were shot down.
In retail, the customer is always right.

If the game plays fine on a different console why do you think the disk is the problem? It sounds like your disk is fine but your console is faulty.

I can also understand people having issues with the game not playing due to a pressing or scratching issue but not to be causing RRODs. I bet that is purely coincidence.

Edited by snkbte, 28 September 2007 - 12:54 AM.

#10 slipstream

slipstream

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:53 AM

of course, eveery time a big game comes out, everyone starts going on how it will cause the RoD (GoW, Dead Rising, ect).

I know what really causes it though - the power button! Think of it, every 360 that has ever had the RoD was turned on! so now I will make my own claim -

WATCH OUT! TURNING ON YOUR 360 MIGHT CAUSE RoD!

#11 unklejoe

unklejoe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(dvsone @ Sep 27 2007, 08:12 PM) View Post

Only problem I've had is falling over a cliff just as I just hit a checkpoint. Execute infinite loop, haha.

Sucks that these people are having problems, hopefully they can get swift replacements.

i had the same problem with the cliff thing. it gave me a checkpoint right after i fell and i had to restart the level.

#12 TexT

TexT

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE(snkbte @ Sep 28 2007, 01:26 AM) View Post

If the game plays fine on a different console why do you think the disk is the problem?

Its not the disk. 360 has 3 different DVD drives that varies in quality.

Hitachi, Samsung and Benq

Which one do you this is the root to this?

Its like the Thompson fiasco all over again.

#13 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:40 AM

some rod is gonna happon all these console probly where not even being played alot untill now and wala rod. as for damaged disk ms aruldy said that did happon and are replacing them for free. yea it sucks you gotta wait for your console to get fixed or a replacment disk.

#14 Skunky

Skunky

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:47 AM

I have the regular Halo 3.. I have not had any issues yet but when i got the game and opened it it was loose in the case.

#15 SueMiBlitch

SueMiBlitch

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:08 AM

i haven't had any problems running the game

i got the limited edition and the only problem was the loose scratched disk... it was always the essentials disk... when i returned it, it took four copies to find a non-loose essentials disk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users