Photo

Did Blu-ray score a goal in its own net with BDplus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PS3Scene

PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:43 AM

Did Blu-ray score a goal in its own net with BDplus?
Posted by XanTium | 3-10-2007 23:43 EST

From dvdtown.com:

Reports of people having trouble with the new BD+ copy protection are starting to surface. The movies in question are Fox's Blu-ray releases of "The Day After Tomorrow" and "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."

BD+ is an extra layer of copy protection. With it, Sony should be able to change the keys used to unlock it. In short, this means that if a BD+ disc is hacked and copied, Sony can change the keys that secure future discs from being copied.

Here is what we know so far:
Some Samsung players may be unable to play the discs, but a firmware upgrade should be available or in works. However, other people say they will not play on the latest firmware from the company. Panasonic players will play the discs but load times are high. Again, Playstation 3 seems to be the safest bet when it come to Blu-ray. It seems to play BD+ without problems.

Full Story: dvdtown.com

#2 zest

zest

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:42 AM

Yes this IS a score in its own net for sure. Im for one would be realy pissed if my discs would not work in my bluray player and i had to wait for a firmware upgrade.
I do not understand this. Well Accualy i do. If Sony can show there clients that "Hey guys our protection is the best, chose us" then of coz more companies will favor BR over HD-DVD. The thing is that it WILL be cracked anyway and the movies will be spread.
Get this for ONCE: Lower the price on the discs, let ppl take control over there material a.k.a if i want to make a backup copy of Donald Duck coz i know that my kids will scratz the disc after 10times in the player let me do that if i want!

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

I agree with you, however the bean counters that make these decisions are so far removed from reality that it will be a very long time before we see DRM disappearing.

They see it more like a lock on your home to protect from buglers rather than the lock on your CD cabinet to protect you from yourself, that is it.

It would seem that DRM-Free music downloads are starting to take hold. A few record labels have realized that people like downloads for the convenience and that convenience is lost when DRM is involved. The price of music downloads is low enough to act as a test bed too.

There are a few DRM free stores, Apple is starting to offer it and MS's Zune store will have DRM-free music as well. A few notable PC games have gone DRM free as well. If music goes whole hog-DRM free then maybe there is hope yet for movies... I wouldn't hold my breath on games though.

#4 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Oct 4 2007, 11:22 AM) View Post
There are a few DRM free stores, Apple is starting to offer it and MS's Zune store will have DRM-free music as well. A few notable PC games have gone DRM free as well. If music goes whole hog-DRM free then maybe there is hope yet for movies... I wouldn't hold my breath on games though.
I know this is for an entirely different topic, but I don't think games should be DRM free, until they are 2 generations old. PS1 and N64 ROMs should be DRM free, and free to distribute. Maybe new games should be DRM free for single player, but not for multiplayer.

Musicians should make their money from their shows (Concerts, TV appearances, etc.), not their demo disks. And, movies should make their money from their shows, (Theater, TV, public viewings, etc.). If money is to be made at a memorabilia store for either, it should be from the added values (Art, books, posters, etc.) DRM is stupid, because it defeats the purpose of demoing their stuff. People cannot even put the song or movie they own in multiple formats. Why would an artist limit their ability to be seen and heard? Less publicity equals less ticket sales. *See Trent Reznor's and Radiohead's latest albums.

Games are not the demo, it is the content. If there were gaming theaters or game concerts, that would be different. Games are not there to relive the moment, they are supposed to be the moment.

Edited by throwingks, 04 October 2007 - 06:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users