• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

Halo 3 Records More Than 300 Million USD in First-Week Sales Worldwide
Posted by XanTium | October 4 11:44 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From the press release:

Microsoft Corp. today announced that "Halo 3" has officially become a global phenomenon, garnering more than $300 million in sales in the first week alone. The critically acclaimed Xbox 360 exclusive, which was released worldwide on Tuesday, Sept. 25, is the fastest-selling video game ever and already one of the most successful entertainment properties in history.

Initial reports from retailers worldwide show console sales have more than doubled compared with the weekly average before the launch of "Halo 3." With games such as "Halo 3," "Madden 08" (EA Sports), "Mass Effect" (Microsoft Game Studios) and "Rock Band" (Harmonix), Xbox 360 has the greatest lineup in the history of video games and is the only console where consumers can play all the year's biggest blockbusters.

"Halo 3" is quickly staking its place as the most popular Xbox LIVE game in history with members gathering in record numbers to play on the world's largest online gaming and entertainment network on TV. More than 2.7 million gamers have played "Halo 3" on Xbox LIVE in the first week, representing nearly one-third of the 7 million Xbox LIVE members worldwide. Within the first day of its launch, "Halo 3" players worldwide racked up more than 3.6 million hours of online gameplay, which increased more than elevenfold to 40 million hours by the end of the first week, representing more than 4,500 years of continuous gameplay. Since "Halo 3 launched," gamers have unlocked nearly 30 million achievements. In its first week alone, "Halo 3" drove a record number of Xbox LIVE Gold Memberships as hundreds of thousands of new members gathered online with friends, family members and other gamers around the world to collectively compete and complete the game.

Developed by Bungie Studios and published by Microsoft Game Studios, the "Halo" franchise is exclusive to the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system and optimized for the Xbox LIVE online entertainment network. "Halo 3" was released in 37 countries and 17 languages. To date, more than 20 million copies of the games in the "Halo" trilogy have been sold worldwide.

Record week-one sales come on the heels of the previously announced $170 million in sales in the U.S. within the first 24 hours of the game's release, which marked not just the biggest video game launch, but the biggest entertainment launch in history. The Xbox 360 title beat previous U.S. sales records set by blockbuster openings for entertainment events such as the release of "Spider-Man 3" and "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." In addition, more than 1.7 million copies of "Halo 3" were pre-ordered in the United States, making it the fastest pre-selling game in history, surpassing the previous record-setting pre-sales of "Halo 2."

#2 jonny_eh

jonny_eh

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

Who could've predicted that the makers of Myth and Oni would hit it so huge? I hate to say it, but MS buying Bungie was really good for gamers.

#3 newmemphis

newmemphis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:32 PM

Cool...but I am getting sick of it when MS has to report every single detail about the games ...the time people play online...achievement???...for god sake...it a games it should record how many game sold...

#4 Tiuk

Tiuk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(newmemphis @ Oct 4 2007, 12:08 PM) View Post

Cool...but I am getting sick of it when MS has to report every single detail about the games ...the time people play online...achievement???...for god sake...it a games it should record how many game sold...

They do report how many games sold. The other details are just fun trivia facts. Lighten up.

#5 elmo_sni

elmo_sni

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 04 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

halo 4 anyone?

#6 metalcoat

metalcoat

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:09 PM

People still content that MS is selling bungie even after this and retaining the Halo name..Very Hard to believe after this

#7 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:32 PM

they payed big bucks to make sure this was at least as BIG as it could be, can you say hype?

Bungies cost ? not enough I'm sure.. probably way less than 50 mil, to be shared amongst 100+ Employees (just guessing here)

Marketing for 2 years ? (100,000 million probably)

No doubt that this game is great, and that they will make LOTS of profit off of it... but honestly, have you ever seen anything so hyped?

And as far as M$ selling Bungie... I think it would be in Bungies favor, cause now M$ is just holding em back! (taking their money)

on a side note... I love the game, it is not perfect, but it is a halfass satisfying conclusion to the story, and online is a blast without people having traingers/cheats yet.

It is a damn shame that M$ holds the rights to the name though... movies,cartoons,toys,shirts hats, and anything else that can be branded (roller coasters), proceeds all go to the allmighty M$.\

so in short (lol) no I am not content if M$ owns the Halo name

Edited by Master Reefed, 04 October 2007 - 06:34 PM.

#8 pingrr

pingrr

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(metalcoat @ Oct 4 2007, 01:45 PM) View Post

People still content that MS is selling bungie even after this and retaining the Halo name..Very Hard to believe after this

I think there is almost no chance of MS selling bungie. If by some crazy chance they did sell, I can't imagine how much it would sell for. It would probably be cheaper to by an NFL team.

#9 jer_stud56

jer_stud56

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

Well the hype lived up to its name.

&& I like reading those fun facts.

Well off to play Halo 3...

#10 yourM0M

yourM0M

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(metalcoat @ Oct 4 2007, 06:45 PM) View Post

that is a rumor you know....nothing confirmed yet

#11 metalcoat

metalcoat

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE(yourM0M @ Oct 4 2007, 09:33 PM) View Post

that is a rumor you know....nothing confirmed yet

Yeh thats why I said hard to believe, it's on the main page now from cnbc

#12 xmods

xmods

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE(metalcoat @ Oct 5 2007, 01:54 AM) View Post

Yeh thats why I said hard to believe, it's on the main page now from cnbc

The best part is its pushing consoles out the door, the 360 was starting to sag in overall sales numbers since the ps3 and wii made their debut. But with halo 3 they seem to be flying off the shelves. Most of the stores around here don't have any stock. I sure hope they get more systems in soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users