Photo

Halo 3: Does Success Push Bungie Out Of The Game?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene

Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:38 AM

Halo 3: Does Success Push Bungie Out Of The Game?
Posted by XanTium | October 4 21:38 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From cnbc.com:

Buried beneath all this success is word that Microsoft and Halo creator Bungie Studios may part company. Be still my heart! Rumors about this began circulating earlier this week when the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and Game Informer started writing about a rift of some kind between the two. Game Informer suggested that Bungie was no longer interested in creating any new Halo games; Microsoft, its parent, had different ideas.

But here's the rub: if the two do split, Microsoft retains the rights to the Halo franchise, and will also have first refusal on any future titles that may come from Bungie. That could be interesting if Bungie ever wants to design games for Sony's PS3 and Nintendo's Wii, or if Hollywood gets involved and finally produces and releases Halo as a feature film.

This is certainly worth watching: Microsoft snapped up Bungie back in 2000 and the partnership has been key in generating excitement and interest in the various versions of the Xbox. With the Halo trilogy at an end, this might be a perfect time for the two to party company. Me? From the two people I'm talking to inside Bungie, I'm expecting a new kind of partnership between the two and not a wholesale break-up.

Full Story: cnbc.com

#2 GamerBR

GamerBR

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:20 AM

Halo is for Microsoft what Mario is for Nintendo,I doubt they will stop with the series,and maybe anytime soon we will be seeing Master Chief Kart,Super Chief Strikers,Super Halo melee and all that stuff laugh.gif

#3 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:22 AM

they will both realize that splitting up is not in the future interest of either company and reach some kind of "agreement" in due time...

#4 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:22 AM

LMAO @ ^

#5 pholly

pholly

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:25 AM

It doesn't matter, Bungie is a one trick pony. They say they won't make any more halo games and that's the only thing they've done well. I won't miss Bungie at all if they never make another 360 game.

#6 BasicAir

BasicAir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Everything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:33 AM

If they do split, it will have a LOT more to do with than somthing simple like "Bungie doesn't want to make more Halo games." Because if Bungie didn't want to, but MS offered a 100's of millions of dollars, well of course Bungie would change their minds. And of course MS would offer that if they -had- to.

So if they split, it will have to do with other issues. And I don't think there could be any other huge issues that MS couldn't "buy" their way out of to change Bungie's mind.

I conclude that their partnership continues. I would guess there may be a new contract on the line, and who could blame Bungie for asking for one, but nothing more.

And, to be honest, I think Bungie will continue to make Halo games. Maybe not sequels, but more Halo games. Let's face it:

A) Bungie makes a ton of money making Halo games.
cool.gif Bungie remains one of the top dev. teams in video gaming as long as they make Halo games.
C) Bungie enjoys making Halo games and Halo fans.

I don't want to see Halo Golf, or Master Chief Kart, but I'd love to see:

- Halo XBLA titles. Something along the line of a Prince of Persia XBLA or something that was a Halo XBLA series would be great!
- New Halo titles that are 100% multiplayer without a campaign.

You don't have to have sequels to make more fantastic Halo games.

Anyway, I am really getting tired of this Bungie/MS split rumor. It's been 4-5 straight days now that news sources are reproducing this rumor as an article and it's getting old. I would like to know the truth but I really don't see them splitting ties. That would be like the New York Yankees moving to a new city. It just won't happen.

#7 darkmike57

darkmike57

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE(pholly @ Oct 4 2007, 10:01 PM) View Post

It doesn't matter, Bungie is a one trick pony. They say they won't make any more halo games and that's the only thing they've done well. I won't miss Bungie at all if they never make another 360 game.

I agree. Who the hell wants to play Oni 2? Nobody.

Stick to halo bungie.

#8 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE(pholly @ Oct 5 2007, 04:01 AM) View Post

Marathon,Myst,Oni?

Halo was just the Biggest money maker they have had. Bungie did ok before Halo shot them to superstar status.

#9 SueMiBlitch

SueMiBlitch

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:41 AM

as a big halo fan i hope that many more games come featuring master chief (hopefully as good as the trilogy)

now...

i hope bungie is the one making the new halo games, but no studio really wants to be limited to one franchise. a new IP from bungie will generate interest and i'm sure solid sales, just look at id and gears, it worked

just hoping they for the 360

Edited by SueMiBlitch, 05 October 2007 - 03:42 AM.

#10 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:44 AM

Ummm since when was bungie a separate entity from MS? It was to my understanding that MS literally owns bungie. Bungie doesnt have option to leave MS, the employees do but not the company cause they are not separate.

#11 pholly

pholly

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE(Master Reefed @ Oct 5 2007, 04:16 AM) View Post

Marathon,Myst,Oni?

Halo was just the Biggest money maker they have had. Bungie did ok before Halo shot them to superstar status.

OK, sucks, sucks!
biggrin.gif

#12 steveju

steveju

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:26 AM

Why did they make news out of this? It all began with one guys blog and now they're releasing it as news...

#13 Odb718

Odb718

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:26 AM

80% is some kinda rift

#14 DevilDave

DevilDave

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:58 AM

What if we get Halo MMORPG jester.gif

#15 21cwSpanky

21cwSpanky

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

Money isn't an issue, Bungie has enough of it to live nicely for the rest of their lives. They want to have FUN, and I can safely say that if I were them, Recreating the same game 8 times over would not be fun for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users