Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

Confirmed: MS and Bungie to Evolve Relationship - Independent Company
Posted by XanTium | October 5 11:18 EST | News Category: Xbox360

Lots of speculation the last few days about the relationship between Microsoft and Bungie ... well here's the official story from the press release:

Microsoft Corp. today announced a plan for Bungie Studios, the developers of the "Halo" franchise, to embark on a path to become an independent company. Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie, at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned "Halo" intellectual property as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.

The critically acclaimed Xbox 360-exclusive "Halo 3" achieved $300 million in global sales in its first week. Released on Tuesday, Sept. 25, "Halo 3" is the fastest-selling video game ever and already one of the most successful entertainment properties in history.

"Our collaboration with Bungie has resulted in 'Halo' becoming an enduring mainstream hit," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. "While we are supporting Bungie's desire to return to its independent roots, we will continue to invest in our 'Halo' entertainment property with Bungie and other partners, such as Peter Jackson, on a new interactive series set in the 'Halo' universe. We look forward to great success with Bungie as our long-term relationship continues to evolve through 'Halo'-related titles and new IP created by Bungie."

"This exciting evolution of our relationship with Microsoft will enable us to expand both creatively and organizationally in our mission to create world-class games," said Harold Ryan, studio head for Bungie. "We will continue to develop with our primary focus on Microsoft platforms; we greatly value our mutually prosperous relationship with our publisher, Microsoft Game Studios; and we look forward to continuing that affiliation through 'Halo' and beyond."

Bungie Studios will remain in its current location in Kirkland, Wash.

The official PR is on microsoft.com and you can read Bungie's first reaction here.

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

well I'll be... ohmy.gif

...guess I was wrong

Edited by twistedsymphony, 05 October 2007 - 08:41 PM.

#3 seanread

seanread

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:05 PM

bungie unchained/unleashed?

#4 AcidLacedPenguiN

AcidLacedPenguiN

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

I hope this doesn't mean that MS is going to take the Halo intellectual property and kinda stagger along drunkenly with it. In short, I hope if there is another FPS Halo game that Bungie will be the ones to do it.

#5 downlowfunk

downlowfunk

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(seanread @ Oct 5 2007, 04:41 PM) View Post

bungie unchained/unleashed?

Hello Halo DS, Hello Wii, HEllo PS3.
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully they get some people from applications over there, because we need a good Browser for our consoles!!!!

#6 Software2

Software2

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Interests:Computing, gaming, and uh... is there anything else in life?

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:16 PM

There are four main positions you can take:
1.) No good can come of this. (I can't accept change!)
2.) Now they have the freedom to do what they want. (I'm desperately trying to justify why this is anything but bad.)
3.) Ha! Suck it M$! Even your best devs hate you! (I'm a [insert OS or game console here] fanboy and can't see things for what they really are.)
4.) Meh. (I can't understand the potential implications of this.)

#7 Lezlyte

Lezlyte

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(Software2 @ Oct 5 2007, 04:52 PM) View Post

2.) Now they have the freedom to do what they want. (I'm desperately trying to justify why this is anything but bad.)
3.) Ha! Suck it M$! Even your best devs hate you! (I'm a [insert OS or game console here] fanboy and can't see things for what they really are.)

Perfectly stated laugh.gif

#8 steveju

steveju

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(downlowfunk @ Oct 5 2007, 03:49 PM) View Post
Doesn't Microsoft own Halo? I mean that can Bungie even make ports to other systems without Microsoft's approval?

#9 Slag Bag

Slag Bag

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

All this means is that Bungie will be an separate company able to make its own profits not swallowed up inside the mess that is the MS gaming division. MS still controls the Halo IPR and its publishing rights as well as any future IP of Bungie. This enables MS to use Bungie as an investment tool that is profitable but doesn't stop them from makings games for other platforms Its moves Bungie's profits to a different division.

#10 wolfienuke

wolfienuke

X-S Member

• Pip
  • 129 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(Software2 @ Oct 5 2007, 08:52 AM) View Post

If any of you Halo/Bungie fans remember, Bungie used to be a Macintosh game developer until Halo was about to be released. Microsoft saw the potential of the game to release it with their new gaming console - The Xbox. Bungie was an amazing game developer. Halo was a game that was ahead of it's time until Microsoft pushed it's release back due to changing it's platform from Mac to the Xbox and parallel the Xbox release. Microsoft did a major injustice to the gaming community and Bungie at that time, but seems to be for the best in the long run. I hope Bungie remembers it's origins and creates more than just FPS's like Microsoft has made them.

Don't expect Halo on other platforms yet, or ever. Microsoft has made sure it still has it's grasp on that one.

#11 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(downlowfunk @ Oct 5 2007, 04:49 PM) View Post

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully they get some people from applications over there, because we need a good Browser for our consoles!!!!

Did you even read,

Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie, at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned "Halo" intellectual property as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.

#12 joemm210

joemm210

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:11 PM

Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie, at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned "Halo" intellectual property as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.

This part here tells me that Bungie will still only make xbox and pc games since they will all be published by Microsoft Game studios, I cant see Microsoft Game studios publishing a game for PS3. With that being said all this really means is Bungie has more control over what they make for games, they better get some more staff if they want to make more games tho cause Halo takes them forever to make!

#13 dvsone

dvsone

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

Really amazing/crazy news.

Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie [and MS will make a huge sum of money off loading shares] at the same time, continuing its long standing publishing agreement [hopefully longer than 5 years] between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft owned Halo intellectual property as well as other [other? but maybe not all?] future properties developed by Bungie.

I think short term it's great news for xbox owners. Long term in the next generations Bungie might just be another studio.

#14 Bubbalynch

Bubbalynch

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Gaming Consoles, PC's, Electronics, Music, Movies, Sports ect.
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

I don't see this changing a thing.

Bungie will still continue to take YEARS to craft one game, that will no doubt be as over rated and over hyped as the Halo Series.

Wooptie-damn-doo... sleep.gif

Edited by Bubbalynch, 05 October 2007 - 10:25 PM.

#15 CKwik240

CKwik240

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:50 PM

I see plenty of potential for this to be a good thing for both parties. MS has likely seen as much benefit as they will from the Halo series. Any further games from Bungie or even the Halo series are likely going to impact the 360 as much as any other AAA 360 title might. But for Bungie to maximize their future, they need to be able to act in the best interest of Bungie. At this point, if they can succeed, then MS will also succeed since they still appear to be retaining a tight relationship. In fact, if such a relationship can spawn greater success from Bungie, then MS will reap greater benefits. Of course execution is key, but with Bungie's huge successes through the Halo series and their relationship with MS, I doubt we'll see nothing less than great execution. Furthermore, this actually puts much more incentive and empowerment into Bungie's staff to create great products and succeed. In fact, from a time-line standpoint, it puts the responsibility back onto Bungie to try and meet their time-tables, so they can maximize profits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users