• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 12step

12step

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:38 AM

I am basically going to be using XBMC, AVALaunch, Xlink Kai, going to probably buy a universal remote to control it. If you can softmod, is there any real reason in getting mod chip (Xecuter 3 ?)

What are some cool things that I could do with an Xecuter 3?

#2 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:35 AM

Really about the only thing is that it makes it easier to upgrade the HD. All you need with a modchip is an upgraded IDE HD of any size and one of the auto-installer discs and it is a piece of cake.

#3 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:37 PM

wrong xbox section, but yes, any TSOP/modchip is easier to fix/upgrade stuff than softmods.

#4 icuubi

icuubi

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:59 PM

I'm normally a huge advocate of softmods over anything else. I really think they are easier to deal with once you know what your doing. (I've softmodded + added HD's in 3 boxes and counting).

However if you want to use a universal remote you will probably have to use a modchip w/IR reciever. Thats the only way I know to add a non-M$ remote to a modded xbox.

#5 12step

12step

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE(icuubi @ Oct 8 2007, 09:35 PM) View Post

I'm normally a huge advocate of softmods over anything else. I really think they are easier to deal with once you know what your doing. (I've softmodded + added HD's in 3 boxes and counting).

However if you want to use a universal remote you will probably have to use a modchip w/IR reciever. Thats the only way I know to add a non-M$ remote to a modded xbox.

Wait so which forum is this supposed to be in? I read all the stickies but they are really old (2003) and they are confusing, I figured newbie chat was for newbies like me so......

Um but question, I actually do want to be able to control my xbox via Universal Remote. Is that impossible with the xbox dvd kit?

Also, where exactly would I find one of these modchip w/IR receiver thingies? (preferably for Xecuter 3 but doesn't matter).

Yeah I'm pretty confused on just about everything, and a lot of these stickies only are making it worse with outdated information.... anyways, thanks for your help so far.

#6 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:09 AM

you could softmod it first and see what it does, it can be done for free
but if you can get ahold of one of the required games and a mem card it's a lot easer to do
the MS dvd kit works well in XBMC and and if you have a learning remote then no problems
i think that i have read that the remote uses standard codes, but don't know whos (RCA maybe)
maybe you could research it

#7 deadparrot

deadparrot

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(xman954 @ Oct 9 2007, 06:45 AM) View Post

i think that i have read that the remote uses standard codes, but don't know whos (RCA maybe)

Yeah, it uses the RCA codes.

#8 12step

12step

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Oct 9 2007, 08:03 AM) View Post

Yeah, it uses the RCA codes.

Believe me, if I can pass on the modchip and save 55 bucks + installation, I would do it, I just have a feeling that there is something that I haven't been mentioned, that I will be able to either do with the modchip, or do MUCH EASIER with the modchip, or some kind of feature I am not aware of.

I don't know much, but from what I heard, once the modchip is on, it's much easier to do things, like add a big hard drive (I want 250-500 gb), do different stuff........

I mean if you guys could help me understand why modchips are of no relevance I would definitely pass on it...... although I still see people frequently buying these things, and these are experienced people so I'm a little bewildered by this fact. Just keep in mind that I'm slightly nubbish when it comes to this stuff..... if there are any real good benefits of it I would really like to know though.

And yeah I was pretty sure the DVD Playback Kit had RCA codes...... but that also costs money and it looks awkward.

#9 12step

12step

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:28 AM

Also, I'm not willing to Softmod, maybe TSOP or whatever that is, but not softmod, for these reasons

http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4118856
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4114442
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4119995
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4120002
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4112190
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4112329

I have those links set up so they go to the specific post I am talking about.

#10 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

My opinion, but pretty much right:
-If you want a modchip you don't need anything better than a DouX2 unless you want to run an LCD screen.
-Softmods are fine and only limit you to more difficult hard drive upgrades and the stock flubber on boot. Just make sure you know what you are doing and be careful and there should be no poblem.
-TSOP flash is as good as a chip that can't be switched off (with an exception..)
-The ms DVD dongle doesn't use RCA normally, but XBMC will work with it and an RCA remote - easy to customise between the universal remote settings and the xml settings file in XBMC. Any add on IR sensor that I know of is for power on/off/eject only.

The X3 is a great chip, but it doesn't have anything the average user is going to really need. If you have the $$ go for it.

#11 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:28 PM

I double checked - the xbox remote does use the rca protocol. I think it's just that XBMC will recognise a lot more buttons.

#12 jimbobjim

jimbobjim

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Sniffing farts under the covers.

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:38 PM

I wrote this a while back for this very dilemma.

Hope it helps.

Edited by jimbobjim, 09 October 2007 - 09:39 PM.

#13 12step

12step

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE(Movax @ Oct 9 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post
The ms DVD dongle doesn't use RCA normally, but XBMC will work with it and an RCA remote - easy to customise between the universal remote settings and the xml settings file in XBMC. Any add on IR sensor that I know of is for power on/off/eject only.

As long as I can buy and use a universal remote with it, whichever way is fine. I'll probably stick with the dongle, if that is what people suggest. That IR receiver looks pretty ugly, so does the lcd (at least on most setups I have seen)

#14 ahero4heor

ahero4heor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:30 AM

You can internally wire the dongle so you have that, no ugliness, and four controller ports muhaha.gif .

#15 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:00 AM

Also, I'm not willing to Softmod, maybe TSOP
then most likely you can't do a TSOP flash
as you basically have to soft-mod or use a gamesave to get the flashing program to run

also once you have the EEPROM from that xbox you can build a new HDD
and put the original away (unmoded if wanted)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users