• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kldalrymple

kldalrymple

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

OK guys, I need some help. I have a softmodded xbox with UnleashX as the dash. I have used FTP on this box for a long time with no issues using a crossover cable to my PC's NIC. However, I have changed my original setup to include two PCs and a wireless network and now need some help to make everything work like I want. Here we go....

I have a TrendNet wireless router connected to my DSL modem. One PC ( let's call it PC-A ) has a wired NIC which is connected to the router with an ethernet cable. A second PC ( call it PC-B ) has a wireless NIC that is connected to the router (wirelessly of course). PC-B also contains a wired NIC that is connected to my xbox via a crossover cable. Now, I would like to be able to FTP to the xbox from both PC-A and PC-B if possible. Right now, I can only FTP from PC-B. I would also like to use the xbox ( via XBMC ) to access shared folders from both PCs ( for music, pix, vids, etc. ) I don't really care if I can get to the internet from the xbox, but that would be an added bonus if possible. These are my IP addresses:

Router WAN: 192.168.1.100
Router LAN: 192.168.0.100
PC-A wired NIC: 192.168.0.101 (assigned by router via DHCP)
PC-B wireless NIC: 192.168.0.105 (assigned by router via DHCP)
PC-B wired NIC (to xbox): 192.168.2.100
Xbox: 192.168.2.101
Subnet mask for all is 255.255.255.0
PC-A is running Vista Home Premium
PC-B is running XP Pro

As you can see, I have PC-B's wired NIC and the xbox on a different subnet from the wireless network. Using this setup, I have no problem using FTP to my xbox from PC-B. I have no problems sharing files between PC-A and PC-B. I have no problems connecting the internet on PC-A and PC-B. However, I cannot figure out how to FTP to the xbox or share folders from PC-A. I tried using the software bridge in XP Pro on PC-B to bridge the wired and wireless connections, but it doesn't work and I also lose my internet connection on PC-B when I do it. No matter what I do, I cannot get PC-A and the xbox to "talk" at all. I thought this would be simple but I am obviously in over my head and need some help. I know I can run a wired connection from my xbox to my router and I know I can get a wireless adapter for the xbox and all that stuff, but I really want to make this work. After all, I already have all the necessary cables in place and it won't cost me a dime extra if I can get it working. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Thanks!

Edited by kldalrymple, 15 October 2007 - 04:00 PM.

#2 ahero4heor

ahero4heor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:26 AM

Wireless bridging has always given me the same effect in the past. But to the point, I have never been able to connect to anything unless it was connected to my hub or connected wirelessly (which would include bridging). I think you're pretty much screwed unless you bridge your connection.

#3 kldalrymple

kldalrymple

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

OK, I finally got things working...mostly. Here's what I did....

1. I did not change any settings on my router or PC-A. Router was set to assign IP addresses in the 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 range. My router LAN IP address was 192.168.0.1 (incorrectly reported as 192.168.0.100 in my original post).
2. I left my wireless NIC in PC-B set to obtain an IP automatically via DHCP (assigned by router).
3. I changed my wired NIC settings in PC-B to obtain an IP automatically via DHCP (assigned by router).
4. I bridged the two NIC's in PC-B using Windows XP Pro's network bridge feature.
5. I set the network bridge up to obtain an IP automatically via DHCP (assigned by router). NOTE: I have read some places that the bridge doesn't have to have an IP at all. I did not test this yet, but I might try it later. If anyone can comment, please do.
6. I checked to see if my NICs in PC-B were in forced compatility mode or not. You can google to find out how, but here's what I did:
Open a command prompt (click Start, Run, put cmd in the dialog box, click OK).
Type netsh bridge show adapter
This will give you a list of your NICs on the bridge and show if forced compatibility mode is enabled or not.
If not, type netsh bridge set a 1 e where 1 is the number of the NIC you want to enable. You will need to do this for each card that is disabled.
After this, check to make sure both are enabled by typing netsh bridge show adapter again.
7. After this, I rebooted PC-B again and verified that it connected to my wireless network.
8. I turned on the xbox and changed by dash network settings to the following:
IP address type: Static
IP address: 192.168.0.200 (must be on same subnet as router range)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (same as router LAN IP)
DNS servers not used
NOTE: I tried to set the dash to get an IP via DHCP but could not get it to work. If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, please let me know.
9. I saved my dash settings and rebooted the xbox.

After all of that, I can now FTP to my xbox from either PC (which was my most important goal). Both PCs have full internet and sharing functionality just like before. However, I cannot figure out how to use XBMC to grab files off the network. If anyone has any pointers, please let me know.

Thanks!!!

#4 ahero4heor

ahero4heor

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:21 AM

I can not set my EvolutionX dashboard to assign an IP that is DHCP, and figured out that it was my router consuming that workload and therefore the xbox was happy with it's current state and did not need to place itself into DHCP status. As for XBMC file streaming I have no clue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users