10 replies to this topic

#1 uberkarl

uberkarl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

Hello,

I have a launch Wii with the first chip in it (DBA? The one before D2A)

I bought a Wiikey with the hologram sticker (Canadian mod site listed on Wiikey.cn as a reseller)

I had a small amount of soldering experience so I thought I would be OK with my install...

I did the quicksolder technique with small wire pieces to ensure a connection. Everything was going OK except on one of the points on the circuit board the contact broke off the board. The wire actually peeled off the board itself so I just soldered that to a piece of wire and then directly to the chip. Covered it all up with electrical tape and gave it a shot.

The good news was that it actually worked. And worked for a couple of weeks even. Then suddenly no disks were playing at all. Sometimes an original would play but for the most part everything was returning the cannot read disc error, eject disc and reset your Wii. I hadn't dropped it or moved it or anything.

I thought that the small circuit wire had broken off the piece of wire connected to the Wiikey so I pulled it all apart. I checked the connections and they all seemed to be intact. I decided to pull it off and restart. Upon doing the install again I pulled a 2nd point off the circuit board, this time the wire wasn't usable so I referred to the D2B install where you connect the wire right off the main chip on the drive.

I connected 2 wires to the main chip after making sure I got the right ones. I checked with a continuity tester to make sure nothing was connecting where it shouldn't. I took 4 more wires and connected the circuit board points still attached to the chip. All wires are 30 gauge. Then tucked the Wiikey away in a nook..and covered everything up with tape again.

I turned on the Wii but it still wouldn't read any discs at all (backups or originals) and kept giving me the read disc error. I decided to remove the Wiikey and test without it to make sure I could still use my Wii...I left the wires attached to the circuit board because it took me forever to get them attached to the small chip wires. I turned on the system and it was able to read originals no problem.

So I think I've determined that there's a problem now with my Wiikey but I'm not 100% sure. Could I have put some solder somewhere bad? Is my Wiikey just dead? I need some help because I'm not sure where to go from here...

Thanks,
Karl

#2 blame canada

blame canada

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

It's probably the chip, and that one of the wires wasn't soldered good enough and came loose. Try re-soldering it back on or having a professional modder do it for you wink.gif

#3 uberkarl

uberkarl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

I've actually removed it and put it back on 3 times now and I get the same result.

I'm thinking that either the chip is no good now or I've soldered something that shouldn't have solder on it. Anyone else have similar results as me?

#4 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:17 AM

Put up some pics. Solder splash?

I NEVER do quicksolder because if you ever want to remove it....good luck.

#5 uberkarl

uberkarl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:31 AM

Here's a fuzzy photo of the current install. I cover it all with black tape when I close up the unit. I'll try to get a better photo because you can't really tell anything from this...

Thanks.

IPB Image

#6 l4r5

l4r5

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

Hello!
Have u tried different media?
I had the same problem with my cyclowiz chip and verbatim dvd+r.

I now use verbatim dvd-r and all games work perfectly!

#7 uberkarl

uberkarl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:45 PM

I use Verbatim DVD-R. I had previously been playing games no problem. I don't think it's media though because even originals aren't working when the chip is in---but when the chip comes out all originals start working again.

#8 l4r5

l4r5

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

hmmm...

I would try a new chip.
personally i recomend cyclowiz, works every time. biggrin.gif

#9 uberkarl

uberkarl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:17 AM

Noticed a post by gMODZ on here (system modder in Toronto). Took it over to his store tonight, he pulled my chip out and tried a new one (very professional install btw) and the new chip worked. He then put the old chip back in to test with his wires and it didn't work. So basically had a working chip that ended up dying while in the Wii (verified to be a genuine Wiikey--had hologram too).

Not sure whether it was my install that caused the issue or whether the Wiikey was a dud (even though it had been working).

Moral of the story---don't do it yourself!! And if you're in Toronto get all your modding done with this guy. He did it while I waited (and I was able to watch the whole thing) and was totally professional. Here's the site if any other Torontonians are interested: http://www.gmodz.ca/. He said he's going to be doing the 30-wire D2C chips as well so I would suggest going there if you've got one of these chips.

Thanks for all those that posted. Happy to have my Wii back...

#10 Robotboy1

Robotboy1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

If its DBA Try a V1 Wii key the Wii cant stand the newer version probably or the Wii key isn't meant for DBA

#11 modz360

modz360

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(uberkarl @ Oct 18 2007, 02:53 AM) View Post

Noticed a post by gMODZ on here (system modder in Toronto). Took it over to his store tonight, he pulled my chip out and tried a new one (very professional install btw) and the new chip worked. He then put the old chip back in to test with his wires and it didn't work. So basically had a working chip that ended up dying while in the Wii (verified to be a genuine Wiikey--had hologram too).

Not sure whether it was my install that caused the issue or whether the Wiikey was a dud (even though it had been working).

Moral of the story---don't do it yourself!! And if you're in Toronto get all your modding done with this guy. He did it while I waited (and I was able to watch the whole thing) and was totally professional. Here's the site if any other Torontonians are interested: http://www.gmodz.ca/. He said he's going to be doing the 30-wire D2C chips as well so I would suggest going there if you've got one of these chips.

Thanks for all those that posted. Happy to have my Wii back...

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users