• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Felix the Bat

Felix the Bat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:19 PM

I've been looking to mod my xbox for some time now, but only after having bought my x360 have I finally decided to do it. I will *only* be using this box for playing video files (divx, xvid, etc) and maybe music. If I want to play games I'll just use my 360. I'd also want to put in a larger HDD. I have a 250gb HD that I'd want to load up with my videos so I'm not fiddling around with a ton of different discs or having to burn a new disc anytime I want to watch something. I know I want to get XBMC for the stuff, though. I know that much tongue.gif

I've read a ton of these tutorials and whatnot, but I'm still not quite getting it and most of the examples given are for all these different chips or something and as I'm a complete novice as it is it's all Greek to me.

So I'm looking to mod my xbox using this Hyper X Modchip just because it's cheap and doesn't require me to solder stuff. I'm not really opposed to soldering, but if I can avoid it, all the better. I haven't ordered the chip yet because I want to understand what I'm doing at least a little bit beforehand so I don't waste the money. I have a v1.0 console, if that helps any.

So I get how to open the case, remove all the stuff and install the chip. The problem I start to get to is flashing a bios and the putting on a dashboard. If anyone could point me to a tutorial for flashing a bios and loading a dashboard when dealing with a Hyper X chip and what to do there, that would be great. Or if there's a simplified way of telling me what to do, that'd be great.

#2 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

I'm not much of a chip person. I have a solderless one used to recover Xboxes, but then I remove it and do a softmod.

Solderless chips are great if you don't plan on moving the Xbox much. If you are looking for a simple solution, try a softmod with Krazie's Ndure 1.1.1.

Now for the chip, where you order it from should have a link for a tutorial on flashing the BIOS. After that, put in the new HD and use Slayer's to format it. It will put the dashboard on there too.

#3 Felix the Bat

Felix the Bat

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

Yeah, I won't be moving the box after it's done, but I'm not opposed to a soft mod if it's stable and costs less than a chip solution. I'll check that one out.

For Slayers do I find that in the xbins channel as well? And will it boot up after I install the chip and flash the bios? Basically, is it pretty much easy-mode? haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users