• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tehDiceman

tehDiceman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

i've read until my eyes started bleeding and now i'd like some opinions. i purchased an elite around 3 days ago, not even an hour into play i decided it was time to open it up and tinker. (warranty? pfff.)

i've read quite a bit about X clamp replacement but don't know if i should or need to do this. my xbox has the "new" heatpipe section that attaches to the GPU. that being said, i graphed my outlet temps last night and they were around 115 degrees at load. obviously the inside of the case is much hotter.

opinions. with this console being brand new, is it worth replacing the x clamps or just leaving it stock with the "upgraded" cooling that M$ thinks should work?

#2 I_Solar_I

I_Solar_I

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

well if it was me, i wouldnt have opened it! but since you have put it back together and leave it alone and PRAY it doesnt rrod on you! cause then your SOL! but no, M$ should have worked out the problem (hahaha laughs inside! lol) yea right, but they warranty is worth it, if it messes up? they fix it, but now your warranty is out

sad.gif

#3 brandogg

brandogg

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

Do the thermal paste and X-Clamp replacement. Also do the fan shroud mod, and do the 12v if you feel inclined to do so. All of this may prevent the 3 red lights from ever appearing, because the added heat pipe/sink alone will not.

#4 superbee

superbee

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Xbox 360,Xbox,PS2 repairs for Canadians EH!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

As brandogg mention xclamps and thermal paste as a minimum should prevent red lights.

#5 feldiasa

feldiasa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

Do it, your box will be more reliable.

#6 tehDiceman

tehDiceman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:35 PM

sounds like i should do it before i put it back together.

do you prefer lawdawgs method or the method where you have to cut some of the GPU heatsink away for bolts/washers to come through the top? i think the second way would be better, but there is more modification involved.

should i bother with the 12 cent mod?

#7 Tortuga2112

Tortuga2112

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Interests:refs: <br />toraxe<br /><br /><br />scammers:<br />none
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:51 PM

I think cutting away anything from your heatsinks is a bad idea. it'll reduce the surface area and your capacity to dissipate the heat.

The 12 cent mod is usually only used after you get the 3RLOD , so that shouldn't be necessary either since you say its a brand new box.

just replace the x clamps and put some good thermal paste , and crank up the fan speed.

and as mentioned before , you should have just left it with a 3 year warranty, now if anything goes wrong you'll have to deal with it yourself. but since you didn't you may as well keep it cooler and get rid of those shitty clamps.

#8 massivevoid

massivevoid

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

I wouldn't.

I'm sitting right here with the x-clamp replace on my 360 (which I did a few months ago) and it just died on me. I turned it on 4 minutes ago and now the screen went blank (which is something new, usually it will freeze with a picture). The only thing I was doing is just browsing the dashboard. Turning it off and on gives a RROD (1,3,4).

And this isn't the first time. After the 4th week of replacing the x-clamp, nothing but freezes and RRODs out the nose. By the way, this is a launch system and it started having problems first part of 07.

I'm in the process of selling everything I got on Ebay and never going back!

So, in my opinion, no.

#9 tehDiceman

tehDiceman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE(massivevoid @ Oct 21 2007, 05:36 PM) View Post

I wouldn't.

I'm sitting right here with the x-clamp replace on my 360 (which I did a few months ago) and it just died on me. I turned it on 4 minutes ago and now the screen went blank (which is something new, usually it will freeze with a picture). The only thing I was doing is just browsing the dashboard. Turning it off and on gives a RROD (1,3,4).

And this isn't the first time. After the 4th week of replacing the x-clamp, nothing but freezes and RRODs out the nose. By the way, this is a launch system and it started having problems first part of 07.

I'm in the process of selling everything I got on Ebay and never going back!

So, in my opinion, no.

my first question would be, how many hours were put on the system before you did the x clamp replacement? im thinking it was quite a few and the damage to your system may be "irreversible". since my system has probly less than 10 hours on it, i would probably have a little better luck with it.

looking for tasteful mod's to maximize cooling. i'd rather not cut a hole in the side but i've seen some good looking installations so it might not be so bad.

#10 elocin671

elocin671

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

id replace the clamps, thermal grease, add the fan shroud mod, replace stock fans with talismoon whisper fans, and do a 12v fan upgrade. you should use AS5 thermal paste. on 4/5 360'sd that i have repaired the stock paste was melted all over the gpu chip, and more than likely causing it to overheat and give it 3 red lights. i personally went with lawdawgs method. recommend you use spring washer instead of flat for under the motherboard side, if not use locktite. cause ive heard of the screws getting loose after a while. just take your time and do the job right the first time and i dont think youll have any problems. and dont ever use a heat gun.

#11 tehDiceman

tehDiceman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:55 PM

i can throw some loctite on there. someone might want to see if we can get the tutorials updated to include the loctite or spring washer idea.

building computers is nothing new to me so i dont think i'll have any problem with this. im just so picky when i do it so it will probably take me 2 hours to get done. biggrin.gif

Edited by tehDiceman, 22 October 2007 - 09:56 PM.

#12 Eddie_the_Hated

Eddie_the_Hated

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Modding... Duh.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

Putting Loctite on the machine-screws? I personally wouldn't. I'd like to be able to adjust them if the need arises.

do you prefer lawdawgs method or the method where you have to cut some of the GPU heatsink away for bolts/washers to come through the top? i think the second way would be better, but there is more modification involved.

Lawdog's method is quite reliable, & less time consuming than the latter method. (I'm assuming, I've never actually drilled heatsinks before).

should i bother with the 12 cent mod?

I wouldn't.

#13 tehDiceman

tehDiceman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

i was also looking at some small heatsinks for the two chips that are not covered by the GPU heatsink. if anyone has put some on, what dimensions were they?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users