11 replies to this topic

#1 pkizzz

pkizzz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

I have recently soldered a Duox2 modchip in my Xbox. It's the first time I have modded my Xbox so I don't know if I have done everything correctly.

The first time I tested it, it worked fine and booted up with the blue Xbox logo and the Xecutor text under the Xbox logo. I also installed Evox with the Slayers 2.7 disc and everything worked fine.

When I started the Xbox with the eject button the chip turned it self off as it should have done, and I could see the original Xbox logo.

The problem is that I can't turn the chip on again. The chip should be turned on when I start the Xbox with the power button, but all I see is the original Xbox logo. I have tried atleast 20 times and the Xbox wont boot in to Evox dashboard.

What should I do now?

#2 stepppp

stepppp

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(pkizzz @ Oct 21 2007, 09:18 PM) View Post

Hi,

I have recently soldered a Duox2 modchip in my Xbox. It's the first time I have modded my Xbox so I don't know if I have done everything correctly.

The first time I tested it, it worked fine and booted up with the blue Xbox logo and the Xecutor text under the Xbox logo. I also installed Evox with the Slayers 2.7 disc and everything worked fine.

When I started the Xbox with the eject button the chip turned it self off as it should have done, and I could see the original Xbox logo.

The problem is that I can't turn the chip on again. The chip should be turned on when I start the Xbox with the power button, but all I see is the original Xbox logo. I have tried atleast 20 times and the Xbox wont boot in to Evox dashboard.

What should I do now?

Had exactly the same problem with my cromwell chip. Installed it and it worked then it didnt then it did etc.

I ended up grounding the D0 point and it works all the time now. The only bad thing is you cant turn the chip off, so its not good if you want xbox live etc.

I have emailed the people i bought it from and will see what they say, but IMO it is a faulty chip.

Just double check all your solder points then if its the same id say its a faulty chip.

TBH i wont be buying one of these chips again.....too hit and miss for me

PS let me know if you find the problem, i spent hours checking mine and still couldnt figure it out.

Good luck and keep posting updates

Edited by stepppp, 21 October 2007 - 08:56 PM.

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

Is the box a V1.1 by any chance?
This is a known problem with this version. Certain V1.1 do not pull D0 low enough with the result That the chip does not enable. the only way round it is ground the D0 and fit a switch in the D0 line if you plan to use live with the original bios.

#4 stepppp

stepppp

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:49 PM

Thanks mate, at least i know why it was doing that. Yes mine is a 1.1, it was really frustrating me now knowing why it would work one minute then not the next.

#5 pkizzz

pkizzz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

My Xbox is also a V1.1.

So all I have to do is to connect the D0 to ground?

I don't plan on using live, I bought the Xbox just for XBMC so I don't need the switch.

Can I solder a wire from D0 on the chip, to pin 2 on the chip, look a the picture it says that pin2 is ground.

http://dragonslayer....ges/LPC top.bmp

Or should I connect the D0 on the chip to something metal on the Xbox to ground it?

I have also heard that I can make the chip always enabled by soldering the BT to pin 9, should I also do this, or should I do this instead?

What should I do?

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:21 PM

You need to connect Xbox D0 on the motherboard, directly to a ground point. If you already have Xbox D0 wired to the chip D0 point, then yes you can just jumper another wire from the chip D0 to Pin 2

#7 pkizzz

pkizzz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 06:00 AM

I already have installed the chip, so D0 on the chip is connected to D0 on the Xbox.

I'll try to solder a wire from D0 to pin2.

Thanks for the help.

#8 pkizzz

pkizzz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:17 AM

When I connected D0 to ground my Xbox wouldn't even start up, it just flashed red and green.

I tried many times, but it still wasn't working, I couldn't get a picture on the TV and the LED on the power and eject button was flashing red and green.

I then opened it up and removed the wire, and I could finally boot in to evox. But when I restarted I had the same problem, the chip wouldn't turn itself on.

How can I fix this?

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:46 AM

Unsolder the D0 from the chip. Solder that to ground. So the wire is from Motherboard D0 to ground.
Solder a link wire between BT on the chip and Pin 9 on the chip (Point G on the Duo diagrams)
Disconnect any wire that is going to the eject button from BT.
Frag with the chip on is usually poor soldering to the LPC.

Edited by Chancer, 29 October 2007 - 09:47 AM.

#10 VoDa

VoDa

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Oct 23 2007, 10:57 PM) View Post

You need to connect Xbox D0 on the motherboard, directly to a ground point. If you already have Xbox D0 wired to the chip D0 point, then yes you can just jumper another wire from the chip D0 to Pin 2

Chancer U are AVESOME!!!
Yesterday my friend gave me 2 XBOXes v1.1 to solder two Douchips. One working without any problem, second the same version doesnt working. I founding problems in my soldering. I resoldered D0 points, both pinouts and modchib blinking RED but not working and booting to original bios. I changed modchip from other xbox and its same and modchip from bad xbox working fine in the second xbox... sad.gif
But your help is right way to good working.

Thanks thanks thanks one more time... smile.gif
VoDa

#11 mal33

mal33

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:modding and hacking
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

Will this same install method work with a v1.6 box, which has an Lframe point instead of a DO point?

I understand that the DO point is a type of earth, where as the Lframe point is a "standard signal of the intel bus protocol", so at the end of the day can they be treated the same and both earthed to the mother board and so make the xbox look to the LPC for an alternate bios to boot from?

#12 litspliff

litspliff

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Interests:electronics, music, your sister.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:53 PM

great info chancer! i never realized what the issue was with 1.1.

in the past, i've just grounded D0 to bypass the problem, but i was never really sure that it was the D0 doing it as the issue was sporadic. i guess i did the right thing!

thanks chancer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users