• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Micjohvan

Micjohvan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Basketball, Computers, Street Racing. Friends and Family.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:32 AM

Ok guys. I havent asked this question in close to 2 years.

I want to mod my 360 to play burnt games but when I looked into it almost 2 years ago it seemed to complicated for me to bother with. I am hoping that over this time things have gotten easier/better?

Im not a n00b really. I mod xboxs, ps2, build computers, do hex editing, ect... you get the idea. My PC has sata so the DVD drive hookup is fine.

So, what is the easiest way for me to get my drive modded to play burnt games. I dont care about live to much, I have real versions for playing on live, so backups will be offline only.

My biggest gripe is that I have to pull my DVD drive to make a backup of each game, is this still the case or has another way been found. I would prefer to pull the drive only once to mod it then not have to EVER again. Back when I last checked the only way to do this was get a extra drive just for ripping or some add on adapter for the 360?

So please let me know and feel free to direct me to guides or anything. Thanks for your time.

#2 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:51 AM

There are plenty of guides and FAQ's on this forum..

A good place to start is the pinned sticky up top called.. "Please read before asking questions..."

#3 Reaper527

Reaper527

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(Micjohvan @ Oct 21 2007, 09:08 PM) View Post

My biggest gripe is that I have to pull my DVD drive to make a backup of each game, is this still the case or has another way been found. I would prefer to pull the drive only once to mod it then not have to EVER again. Back when I last checked the only way to do this was get a extra drive just for ripping or some add on adapter for the 360?

look in the backup section for information about kreon dvd drives. its a custom firmware for a few select samsung pc drives that allows it to read xbox and 360 discs in your pc.

#4 Micjohvan

Micjohvan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Basketball, Computers, Street Racing. Friends and Family.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:41 PM

ok I have been doing some reading and other then the ripping of the games I have everything under control.

Is the method with a dvd drive and hotswapping difficult to do? Can I use any old PC DVD drive and can it be USB?

I have a Toshiba-Samsung Drive but how do I tell which of the two it is without voiding my warrenty? My xbox was a core system from back in March of 2006 (Date of manufacter)

I have never had a problem with my 360 (no red ring or anything) is there a chance that it may develop if I open it up to do this?

Thanks again for the help guys, I really appricate it.

#5 Havok

Havok

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

For backups.. the best method is to just get a Kreon drive.. (they are pretty cheap) and leave it installed in a CD.

I don't think you can swap and get the security sectors properly... (I honestly dont know as that method has fallen out of favor.. even backing up with a Hitachi is unrelaible)

I would guess you have a MS28 if its a '06 box.

The boxes do up and die pretty frequently.. MS is giving a 3 year warranty (you would be covered until '09) as long as you dont open the box.

Once you do that if it by chances dies tomorrow you are on your own...

Its a personal choice you have to make weither to risk voiding the warranty. I have a feeling most 2006 and earlier boxes will have a problem within 3 years. Most are fixable by an xclamp replacement.. others just are not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users