6 replies to this topic

#1 cliffey272

cliffey272

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:13 PM

Hi,
i had a problem with my old xbox 360 "3 red lights", so i bought one from ebay which had a faulty dvd drive.
I put my old dvd drive from the nackered xbox into the new one and it plays dvd's, but when i put a game in the drive it says "put this disc into a 360 console", the dvd drive used to work before my old console died.

Does anyone know if i was supposed to do something to make the drive work after i changed the dvd drive?

Thanks for you help!! smile.gif

Cliffey

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,785 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

You can't just swap DVD drives in the 360, each one is keyed to it's motherboard. You need to get the key from the original drive, inject that into your drive as well as spoof it if it's a different model/version than what was originally in it. All of the tutorials an info you need are in the Newbie Chat pinned topics, unless the DVD drive problem in that new 360 is a lost or corrupted FW and the key is gone, in that case you bought a good, but completely useless , new motherboard.

Edited by RDC, 22 October 2007 - 02:38 PM.

#3 cliffey272

cliffey272

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:45 PM

The drive that was originally in it wouldnt even power on, so it was pritty nackered and useless so i chucked it in the bin.
The DVD drive thats in it plays films but wont play games, is there any way of getting the DVD drive to play games again?

Thanks

#4 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(cliffey272 @ Oct 22 2007, 10:21 AM) View Post

The drive that was originally in it wouldnt even power on, so it was pritty nackered and useless so i chucked it in the bin.
The DVD drive thats in it plays films but wont play games, is there any way of getting the DVD drive to play games again?

Thanks

Only if you got the drive that was in the console you got off ebay still. You need to get the firmware off the drive you got in the ebay xbox. If you can recover it from the trash, I highly suggest you do, or else you just bought a nice new paperweight from ebay.

If you get the drive out the bin, I can help you recover the key and put it on your drive that works, so that the console you got on ebay will work again.

Edited by BoNg420, 22 October 2007 - 02:57 PM.

#5 cliffey272

cliffey272

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

pants......

oh well, looks like im going to have to buy a new xbox 360 when ive got the cash....

Thanks anyway.

#6 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(cliffey272 @ Oct 22 2007, 10:32 AM) View Post

pants......

oh well, looks like im going to have to buy a new xbox 360 when ive got the cash....

Thanks anyway.

so let me guess your garbage is gone. Always good to not throw something out unless you know for sure you dont need it anymore.

#7 cliffey272

cliffey272

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

it seemed to be working when i put it together as it played a film, i never even thought of testing a game with it, at least now i know for the future,

Thanks anyway guys...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users