• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:21 PM

It's coming: Bungie is getting the Halo 3 ban-hammer ready
Posted by XanTium | October 22 17:21 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From arstechnica.com:

If you're a cheater or an online trouble-maker in Halo 3, Bungie has it in for you. Last Friday they posted a message--more of a threat, really--saying that they know who you are, and they're not happy.

"There are those of you doing things you shouldn't be in Halo 3. Some of you have gotten a little too famous for your own good. This ain't a church and there is no redemption or salvation once you have been judged. Apologies are now officially too late to save you.

The storm approaches.
Love, Bungie"

Full Story: arstechnica.com

#2 BionicGeoff

BionicGeoff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:56 PM

lol good stuff... no more cheaters...

#3 dylan_snyder09

dylan_snyder09

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:05 PM

Is there really cheats for halo 3? Or are people modding it already..hmm im kind of curious to know what they're basing this ban on.

#4 millio007

millio007

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE(dylan_snyder09 @ Oct 22 2007, 10:41 PM) View Post

Is there really cheats for halo 3? Or are people modding it already..hmm im kind of curious to know what they're basing this ban on.

There are several GLitches in the game but why ban just patch the damn glitches someone mentioned an example of warhawk for ps3 they are patching glitches not banning PEEPS for that .....to find out what are the glitches google SEARCH people

Edited by millio007, 22 October 2007 - 10:16 PM.

#5 Tiuk

Tiuk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:17 PM

Now they just need to get rid of the people who join ranked and say "Anyone wanna get some achievements?"

#6 gabe681

gabe681

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:17 PM

They could also be banning people for being upleasant to play with too. I do have to say there are some real A**Holes on live these days.

#7 SomeoneX

SomeoneX

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

At higher levels, various attacks like DoS attacks are becoming increasingly commonplace, as well as other means of attacking users' connections.

I've been bridged out of the game before it started, lagged out once the game is in progress, and so on (it's not my connection, and it's very hard for me to suffer a DoS attack as the bandwidth required would stop most users)

#8 IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:21 PM

While it's not nice to cheat, it's an entirely different thing to abuse a glitch, and a whole different pile of shit to be banned for doing so.

Glitches are IN THE GAME, FIX THEM!
If I was banned for using a glitch in the game, I'd definitely be having my lawyer give Bungie a call. I paid for the game (That so called glitch is in), I pay for Live and I am entirely in my rights to play it on Live. If you don't want people using glitches.....FIX EM YOU LAZY BASTARDS!

With that said, I don't even own a 360, let alone Halo 3. I jut hate lazy developers that would rather ban people than fix their own mistakes. I'd sue.

#9 silentbob343

silentbob343

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(millio007 @ Oct 22 2007, 05:51 PM) View Post

There are several GLitches in the game but why ban just patch the damn glitches someone mentioned an example of warhawk for ps3 they are patching glitches not banning PEEPS for that .....to find out what are the glitches google SEARCH people

Actually they'll be doing both in Warhawk just like I'm sure they'll do for H3.

Warhawk's 1.1 patch is hitting by the end of the month and along with it a new form of in-game judge and jury: The Arbiters.

First the patch info though, 1.1 looks to be mostly about dealing with ping issues, stability and stat problems. Hit the jump for all of the mumbo-jumbo. What I really find interesting is Warhawk's advent of the arbiter. The Warhawk arbiters are members of the online services groups in the US and Europe who will be keeping an eye on the leader boards, community stats and in-games, all undercover.

Essentially these men and women will be on the hunt for griefers and cheaters and will be armed with the ability to warn players or "call a player out to prove his or her skills." Their Judge Dredd like judgment can take the form of an email warning, forum post, a kick from a game, a full stat cleansing or banning. Pretty interesting idea for an online shooter I think, typically this is more something you see with MMOs.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:29 PM

There are a number of glitches in the game the game that if a player knows about they can be exploited for an unfair advantage

Standby cheating still works
DoSing your opponents works

And then there are those that boost in ranked maches by way of dummy accounts as well as the alternative language method.

on a whole though it's a lot better than Gears or Halo 2.

I'm guessing they're going after glitchers and rank boosters.

just because they haven't patched the game doesn't mean it's ok to shoot through walls, double melee or standby.

#11 dpr99

dpr99

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:45 PM

i guess they are going to ban Gilbert Arenas since he admitted to doing the dummy account thing.

#12 JimmyGoon

JimmyGoon

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

1. I HIGHLY doubt that Bungie is going after glitchers. It is soo much easier for them to push out an update to fix that stuff rather than deal with the rash of angry users who are banned or not banned or who are falsely banned, etc...

2. How are players getting the IP Addresses of opponents to DoS them? Are they threading their inet connections through their pc and getting ip connection info in real time or what? Are there really specialized programs for this stuff?

3. Where are they coming up with enough bw to dos a bunch of players

4. I wish Bungie could remotely fry those peoples' xboxen...

Anyhow...

#13 Flashelek

Flashelek

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(IJTF_Cinder @ Oct 22 2007, 11:57 PM) View Post

While it's not nice to cheat, it's an entirely different thing to abuse a glitch, and a whole different pile of shit to be banned for doing so.

Glitches are IN THE GAME, FIX THEM!
If I was banned for using a glitch in the game, I'd definitely be having my lawyer give Bungie a call. I paid for the game (That so called glitch is in), I pay for Live and I am entirely in my rights to play it on Live. If you don't want people using glitches.....FIX EM YOU LAZY BASTARDS!

With that said, I don't even own a 360, let alone Halo 3. I jut hate lazy developers that would rather ban people than fix their own mistakes. I'd sue.

Definetly +1, best post that describes my opinion..

#14 leorimolo

leorimolo

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

But I'm Japanese so I play Lone Wolves with my language selected so I can play with my Japanese buddies >_<

Edited by leorimolo, 22 October 2007 - 11:03 PM.

#15 peter0328

peter0328

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(SomeoneX @ Oct 22 2007, 05:56 PM) View Post

At higher levels, various attacks like DoS attacks are becoming increasingly commonplace, as well as other means of attacking users' connections.

I've been bridged out of the game before it started, lagged out once the game is in progress, and so on (it's not my connection, and it's very hard for me to suffer a DoS attack as the bandwidth required would stop most users)

What do you mean about bandwith for DoS attacks? I don't know anything about them, probably because it has never happened to me. Is having high bandwith good or bad or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users