Masterguns

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

Hey guys!I was wondering if anyone out there on the internet would be interested in making a port of UT GOTY edition(game of the year edition) to xbox?I just thought that it would be really cool playing UT on xbox instead of unreal championship.UT is so much better than UC because there is just so much detail that you can put into matches without having to unlock mutators,maps, etc. and the bot system is much better than that of UC.And if this really goes far think of how cool multiplay would be.And the multiplay is better than UC as well because well lets face it......UC is dead.I dunno if anyone is gonna pursue this or not or maybe there is already a port of UT to xbox?But whatever.Just throwing that out there.Thanks! biggrin.gif

#2 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(Masterguns @ Oct 24 2007, 07:50 PM) View Post

Hey guys!I was wondering if anyone out there on the internet would be interested in making a port of UT GOTY edition(game of the year edition) to xbox?I just thought that it would be really cool playing UT on xbox instead of unreal championship.UT is so much better than UC because there is just so much detail that you can put into matches without having to unlock mutators,maps, etc. and the bot system is much better than that of UC.And if this really goes far think of how cool multiplay would be.And the multiplay is better than UC as well because well lets face it......UC is dead.I dunno if anyone is gonna pursue this or not or maybe there is already a port of UT to xbox?But whatever.Just throwing that out there.Thanks! biggrin.gif

I agree, the orignal 1999 Unreal Tournament is, to my mind, the best Unreal game, far better than UT2003 and UC, and even better than 2004 and UC2. UT is my joint favourite PC game, along with Deus Ex. And if the XBox had (good) ports of Unreal Tournament, Deus Ex, Carmageddon, Alien vs. Predator, and Thief 1 and 2, plus ports of the N64 games Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and others, and a few other games ported from other systems, then the XBxox would be my favourite gaming platform ever.

The trouble is, the source code for none of these games, except for Alien vs. Predator, has been released. And without the source code, there's no ports. Of all the games I've mentioned, only AvP currently can be be ported, as the source for that was released about three years ago. And yet we're still waiting for a port (it's aparently very difficult to port, as would be UT, Deus Ex and others).

n.b. The term "Source" in this post has nothing to do with Steam or Valve's Source system, source is the program code written by the programmers, before it's compiled to run on a computer (or console).

Sadly, although we all want games x, y and z to be ported, unless there is available source code then there's no port. And very few companies release the source code of their commercial produces (iD and 3D Realms being almost unique in doing so). Every month or two, someone asks for a port of Half-Life, but since Valve have not released the source, then there's no chance of a port. Even if the source did become available, then it would still depend upon someone having the skill, time and knowledge to port the game, and as AvP (a great game) has shown, available source code does not gaurantee an available port.

#3 Masterguns

Masterguns

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

Hmmm....I had figured by now at least one of the UT games would have the sourcecode released.Maybe we should try and ask for it?It's worht a try.It's one of the best PC games of all time.It MUST be ported to xbox!Even if it's not GOTY edition it would still be really cool.I have all of the UTs and love all of them equally and all of them have excellent replayability.I don't see a reason that they don't have the sourcecode released.They no longer have a use for it seeing as all of the new Unreal games are all new gaming engines.

#4 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Masterguns @ Oct 26 2007, 11:23 PM) View Post

Hmmm....I had figured by now at least one of the UT games would have the sourcecode released.Maybe we should try and ask for it?It's worht a try.It's one of the best PC games of all time.It MUST be ported to xbox!Even if it's not GOTY edition it would still be really cool.I have all of the UTs and love all of them equally and all of them have excellent replayability.I don't see a reason that they don't have the sourcecode released.They no longer have a use for it seeing as all of the new Unreal games are all new gaming engines.

Epic won't release the source code, they've never done anything like that, and they've nothing to gain from it.

I e-mailed them once giving a detailed, reasoned argument for UT's release on the XBox, but recieved no reply. There was also an Internet petiton for UT's XBox release, but Epic didn't take any notice, as far as I can tell. And even if it was released, who'd port it? The few porters left seem mostly to ignore FPSs, sadly. And UT would be difficult to port, given it's complexity and flashy effects.

I did think that maybe we could run it under Linux; there is a Linux version of UT available for free download (though you need the UT data files from the original CD to play it), and the XBox apparently runs Linux very well. UT does not need 3D hardware to run, so that's one problem out of the way (Linux on the XBox doesn't have a 3D driver, at least not a couple of years ago, when I looked), but since I know nothing about Linux I asked on the Linux forum here if someone could create a Linux distro that would run UT, or at least provide instructions on how to do this. I asked several times over a few years, but received no help.

I take it you don't know Linux, either?

Failing that, just do what I ended up doing - buy a used PS2 and UT for that. It's a good version, although you can't disable the auto-aim, and of course there are no user made mods, maps or mutators. I don't think it playes on-line either, and it's a fairly slow loader (like all PS2 games), and I'm not too keen on the PS2's controller. Plus it lacks many of the PC version's options. Still, at least I can play UT on a console now, and it does play very well. Plus I can play Deus Ex on the console, too (I bought the PS2 only for Deus Ex and UT, which are my favourite PC games, but I don't like playing games on a PC much), as well as Quake 3.

#5 Masterguns

Masterguns

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:14 AM

Well I'm very fluent in linux, in fact it was the operating system i used before i started using windows (i still have linux on my pc, Dual partitions) and i thought about running it on linux as well.Linux is the foundation of all xbox modding and is the most adaptable operating system conceived by man (Linus Torvalds) and it can be manipulated around many problems that it may have but the problem this time is the source code and even if it was released, who the hell is gonna do it?Porters have no time for FPS games just like you said but if it was made wouldn't that be the cat's ass?Well anyways if nobody comes up with a logical way of porting this in the next month, I'll close the topic.

#6 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE(Masterguns @ Oct 29 2007, 04:50 AM) View Post

...but the problem this time is the source code and even if it was released, who the hell is gonna do it?

I don't understand what you mean?

Anyway, since you're fluent in Linux, can you not try to run UT on your Xbox under Linux, and let us know the results? I think memory might be a problem, but it would be *great* if you could get UT to run on a Linux Xbox.

Have a look at:

http://www.lokigames.com/products/ut/

they did offer the Linux version of UT for free download (although you still needed the Windows version's CD for the game's data files), I downloaded it a year or two ago - if it's no longer there I'll try to find it on my backup CDs.

#7 Masterguns

Masterguns

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:58 AM

What I meant was that nobody has time to port UT they stay away from FPS games but anyways......
Yeah I'll definately give it a try,watch this thread closely for updates and such.It should only take a day, tops.

#8 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(Masterguns @ Oct 31 2007, 05:34 AM) View Post

What I meant was that nobody has time to port UT they stay away from FPS games but anyways......
Yeah I'll definately give it a try,watch this thread closely for updates and such.It should only take a day, tops.

If you could get it running on the XBox, that would be FANTASTIC!

Please do everything you can, and let us all know what results you come up with.

UT on the XBox, that's amazing.

#9 Masterguns

Masterguns

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:11 AM

Ok i got it to run on the xbox in a window and at the starting cinematics it just chops to shit and then i went to the main menu it took approximately 30 seconds to move an inch on the screen.If this was ported there would have to be a way to make up for the ram that the xbox doesn't have but severely needs.64 megs of ram is just retarded.That just shows how cheap bill gates really is.I figured it would work because UT isn't really that much of a demandinmg game.I did however try to divert processing power into ram with a boot diskj that was made a long time ago but it did nothing.It STILL ran like shit.Either the linux is acting retarded or it's the ram.And I'm sorry it took so long for my reply but i had to try many different things to make sure there was no other way of running it.One way i want to tryu is wqith windows 98 on the xbox.It may show results, it may not but I'm going to try it.I highly doubt it will work but it's worth a try because UT is a beautiful game that deserves it's place on the xbox.If ANYONE has any ideas, for the love of god please post them!I will keep this thread open for the completion of the attempt of UT on 98 on the xbox.Keep your stick on the ice and don't lose hope!Miracles CAN happen!

#10 VampX

VampX

X-S Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(Masterguns @ Nov 4 2007, 04:47 AM) View Post

Miracles CAN happen!

No they can't, not in the way you're hoping for anyway.
NO SOURCE, NO PORT.

praying for miracles won't solve that.

#11 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(Masterguns @ Nov 4 2007, 04:47 AM) View Post

Ok i got it to run on the xbox in a window and at the starting cinematics it just chops to shit and then i went to the main menu it took approximately 30 seconds to move an inch on the screen.If this was ported there would have to be a way to make up for the ram that the xbox doesn't have but severely needs.64 megs of ram is just retarded.

I've heard it said that lack of memory is the only thing (other than Microsoft's refusal to press more XBox discs) that holds the XBox back from another few years of commercial life.

That just shows how cheap bill gates really is.

Well to be fair (even though I detest Gates and Microsoft) I imagine that the memory was enough for the time that the XBox was launched.

I figured it would work because UT isn't really that much of a demandinmg game.I did however try to divert processing power into ram with a boot diskj that was made a long time ago but it did nothing.It STILL ran like shit.Either the linux is acting retarded or it's the ram.

Don't forget, the XBox's 64MB of RAM *includes* the video memory. There's no seperate video RAM, the XBox uses part of the 64MB for the screen, so you have to take that into consideration. Perhaps Linux on the XBox can use as little memory as possible both for itself and the (required by UT) screen display data? What was the minimum required RAM for the Linux version of UT? If it was 32MB, then surely XBox Linux has that amount free, in which case UT should run fine, albeit with lots of hard disc access to load all of the data when required (since there'd be no free memory for caching data). Are you sure that UT was using software mode for the display, and not some healf-hearted 3D display that was *terribly* slow?

Sadly, since I know no Linux, I can't offer any help, but might it be worthwhile you posting any questions in the Linux board on this forum?

And I'm sorry it took so long for my reply but i had to try many different things to make sure there was no other way of running it.One way i want to tryu is wqith windows 98 on the xbox.It may show results, it may not but I'm going to try it.I highly doubt it will work but it's worth a try because UT is a beautiful game that deserves it's place on the xbox.If ANYONE has any ideas, for the love of god please post them!I will keep this thread open for the completion of the attempt of UT on 98 on the xbox.Keep your stick on the ice and don't lose hope!Miracles CAN happen!

I really REALLY REALLY hope that you manage to get UT running fine on the XBox, but I doubt that Win98 will be the way to go, as it will eat up memory, to say nothing of the speed drain. From what you've said, it seems unlikely that such a drastic speed problem is down to lack of memory, more likely the display mode, or a problem with your Linux/UT installation (could you not first try UT under Linux on a PC to see if it works OK, especially in software display mode?).

QUOTE(VampX @ Nov 4 2007, 12:41 PM) View Post

No they can't, not in the way you're hoping for anyway.
NO SOURCE, NO PORT.

praying for miracles won't solve that.

He's not asking for the source code, nor for a port - he's trying to get the original binaries to run under Linux or Windows.

Maybe it's not possible (I really hope that it is), but it's worth a try, and you never know rolleyes.gif

#12 Masterguns

Masterguns

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:57 PM

Well I tried but to no avail.There will never be a way for this to work unless we upgrade it's ram and yes i did check if i was using software rendering and i wasn't.So There will be no other way but i will continue to keep this thread open to anyone who gets an idea.Peace out clockface.

#13 Jangaboo

Jangaboo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(Masterguns @ Nov 26 2007, 09:33 PM) View Post

Well I tried but to no avail.There will never be a way for this to work unless we upgrade it's ram and yes i did check if i was using software rendering and i wasn't.So There will be no other way but i will continue to keep this thread open to anyone who gets an idea.Peace out clockface.

i have a 500mhz, 64mb, intel onboard graphics chip that can run Unreal tournament so the xbox should be able to do it

the game isn't that graphically intensive

#14 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

Masterguns, thanks for trying, at least now we know that it's not viable on a standard XBox. And personally at least, I can't really see myself getting a RAM upgrade, as apart from the price and hassle, who knows if the presence of unexpected RAM would adversely affect other games and programs.

QUOTE(Jangaboo @ Nov 26 2007, 10:49 PM) View Post

i have a 500mhz, 64mb, intel onboard graphics chip that can run Unreal tournament so the xbox should be able to do it

the game isn't that graphically intensive

Yes, but the problem is that whereas but your 64MB PC had 64MB of system RAM, and a graphics card that contained it's own video RAM, the XBox's 64MB of system memory is also used for the video RAM, the XBox has no seperate video memory, the XBox has to use some of it's 64MB for the screen display, leaving UT starved of RAM for it's main program. As Masterguns implies, a memory upgrade is probably the only way to run UT, but I don't think that I, for one, am going to go down that road.

#15 ganjatron

ganjatron

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

Doesn't the "Intel onboard graphics" part mean an integrated graphics chip with no AGP card? You know, like the kind of computers they sell at walmart, etc. where the system and graphics memory are shared. I could be wrong, but that's the way I interpreted it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users