• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

UK: Mr. Modchips Gets Convicted
Posted by XanTium | October 25 12:29 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From next-gen.biz:

A 'businessman' who traded under the name Mr Modchips has become only the second person in the UK to be convicted for distributing and selling chipped consoles.

39 year-old Higgs was found guilty of 26 offences: three counts of advertising, supplying and selling modification chips designed to enable people to play illegally copied games on their consoles, 12 counts of possessing 19 chipped games consoles and another 11 counts of possessing Executor modchips for Microsoft consoles, as well as Viper GC chips for Nintendo systems. He was cleared of a further four counts of possessing chipped consoles.

The jury at his trial voted unanimously against Higgs, whose lawyers requested leave to appeal which was granted by the Judge. A date for the appeal hearing has yet to be set.

Full Story: next-gen.biz

#2 lord^infamous

lord^infamous

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

Jesus christ....... does it ever stop? To me there isn't anything wrong what so ever with selling a "microchip". The people they should direct their attention to are those that abuse certain products that were meant for other uses. I mean what's next, owing a soldering iron and getting arrested for conspiracy to mod??

#3 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

This sucks..whats in it for homebrew sad.gif

#4 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

come on.. we all know this is the biggest problem our world faces.

#5 DeMoN_DARREN

DeMoN_DARREN

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

Don't worry kids! While a nasty mod chip sales man has been imprisoned and fined for giving people the tools to play illegal copies, but not endorsing it, your local twat down the market will be shipping out pirate DVDs by the ton!....

Saaaaaaaaaaaaad world

#6 Alkane

Alkane

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

Wasn't Divineo also recently raided? I think the owner is a wanted criminal in the United States.

#7 nikeymikey

nikeymikey

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(DeMoN_DARREN @ Oct 25 2007, 05:56 PM) View Post

Don't worry kids! While a nasty mod chip sales man has been imprisoned and fined for giving people the tools to play illegal copies, but not endorsing it, your local twat down the market will be shipping out pirate DVDs by the ton!....

Saaaaaaaaaaaaad world

I agree absolutely

#8 billy_no_mates

billy_no_mates

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:35 PM

you could always leave your comments with the sun newspaper too biggrin.gif

TO LEAVE COMMENTS ETC FOR THE SUN NEWSPAPER GO HERE http://www.thesun.co...ticle385761.ece

#9 DynaMight

DynaMight

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

I'm glad he got done, he was a complete arse hole.

#10 clogicgmather

clogicgmather

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Embedded systems/Programming,Games consoles,Biking & surfing. Running music events in Bristol UK

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(DynaMight @ Oct 25 2007, 06:15 PM) View Post

I second that, this guy gave truly awful service, just checkout the complaint thread in the bst section of xs forums to see quite how many people have been treated badly by him. There were so many reasons why this guy should have gone down, just a shame they didn't get him on a real crime.

Good Riddance.

#11 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:56 PM

Yep, what a scumbag. In with the murderers and rapists where he belongs, eh? blink.gif

Edited by Exobex, 25 October 2007 - 05:57 PM.

#12 wadsy

wadsy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(DynaMight @ Oct 25 2007, 06:15 PM) View Post

Totally Agree

normally i would agree with what the other guys and girls are saying, but unfortunatly i purchased a chip from this guy it took 2 1/2 months to arrive. it isn't that it took 2 1/2 months to arrive but the level of support from this guy when i asked what was happening, i got told to tuff luck write me a letter because i aint going to respond to your emails anymore.

i hope he gets the book thrown at him plus a lengthy jail term and butt fucked till his brown eye turns blue.

#13 sheepie

sheepie

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

i used him, always got good service from him. modded ps2 came back not working and he replaced it within 4 days.

when chips and things were outta stock hed reply thru his tickiting system that he is expecting em in a few weeks, sometimes this got delayed abit more but in the end it turned up

having said that the list of complaints is preety big on XS

#14 ppazz13

ppazz13

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

It's a shame that this kind of activity shines a light on modding that may make the public think poorly of the practice. Countless people will read about this incident and say, "Wow... good for him. He was helping people pirate games and steal from legitimate game developers." No one will stop to think about the positive aspect of modding.... homebrew, new product development, etc.

It's just unfortunate that so many people use the methods simply as a way of pirating games.

#15 Home Less

Home Less

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(wadsy @ Oct 25 2007, 10:33 AM) View Post

Totally Agree

normally i would agree with what the other guys and girls are saying, but unfortunatly i purchased a chip from this guy it took 2 1/2 months to arrive. it isn't that it took 2 1/2 months to arrive but the level of support from this guy when i asked what was happening, i got told to tuff luck write me a letter because i aint going to respond to your emails anymore.

i hope he gets the book thrown at him plus a lengthy jail term and butt fucked till his brown eye turns blue.

sleep.gif regardless of your personal feelings about him, no one deserves this. he wasn't selling pirated software, just chips. even if he did have horrible service, he still doesn't deserve jail, maybe just a letter from the Better Business Bureau.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users