5 replies to this topic

#1 W-30

W-30

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:08 PM

Hey everyone,
Ok basically i've taken the console apart removed the clamps and cleaned the chips using alcohol&qtips (as per the instructions i have) replaced the thermal compound with "akasa artic silver", and as I placed the motherboad back and turned it on to let it overhea (again as per instructions) the xbox powers on for 2 seconds and goes straight the the overheat lights. i've tried undoing the bolts a little but still no joy so I was wondering if there was any advice out there to help maybe I put to much thermal compound on or shall i clean again and re-apply? any help would b greatly appreciated cheers guys!!!

#2 DeMoN_DARREN

DeMoN_DARREN

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

I had this problem, turned out to be too much paste, so i cleaned it all back off and then put only a tight ball on and it worked

still died in 4 weeks tho... but that was from thr GPU chip, don't worry!

#3 W-30

W-30

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:24 PM

Cheers for the reply m8.
ill give it a shot soon and let you know the results .
i'm not looking forward to putting those heatsinks back on tho, awkward bloody things

#4 W-30

W-30

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

Well i'm stumped I cleaned off the chips even the excess from around the side this time turned it on without bolting the heatsinks on and went straight to overheat lights again so any info from anyone at this point is a god send

#5 MarutiDriver

MarutiDriver

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

You need to bolt down the sinks to get a good contact with the dies, if they're not bolted down then overheating is the obvious outcome.

#6 **AMH - LP**

**AMH - LP**

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

First try tightening the bolts only snugly (about as much as you can go with your hand) Then power on with the stock fans unplugged and leave for about 2 minutes (it will turn to 2 red lights, then let sit for 2 minutes).
You need to then bolt down the heat sinks after it cools off completely, but in your case you may need to remove a washer or 2 so that you can get a slight board flex (which pushes down slightly harder on the GPU & CPU restoring contact between them and the motherboard). Make sure the bolts are good and snug (but not extremely tight!) Once you do that, if it doesn't work still, let it sit with no fans until it flashes to 2 red lights and let it sit for exactly 2 minutes again, then turn it off and let it completely cool down.

If that doesn't work (or even if it does) do the penny fix. Get you 8 pennies and some electrical tape and hot glue (or anything to make it stick) Make you 4 stacks of 2 pennies, and then wrap them completely in electrical tape, and then glue 1 to each of the 4 RAM chips on the bottom of the motherboard, then screw the board back in place and test it out.

If you are now free of 3 red lights, try adding in some extra fans if you can and look around the pinned topics for cooling tutorials.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users