• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

Wal-Mart Offers Toshiba HD DVD Player for Under 200USD
Posted by XanTium | October 26 16:30 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From cnn.com:

The battle for the future of the high-definition DVD has taken an intriguing turn: For the first time, mega-retailer Wal-Mart has begun selling a player for less than $200.
In various online forums, enthusiasts have reported seeing the Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player available in stores for $198, significantly less than its common price of $230-$280.

"We reduced our HD DVD Toshiba player, the generation-two, to $198 earlier in the week," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien confirmed. "It's happening now, and that's really all I can tell you. We don't give any information on what we're planning to do for the holidays. We know HD DVD and Blu-ray are going to be popular items this holiday season for some of our customers. ... They will be more popular this year than they were in previous years."
O'Brien said rumors that each Wal-Mart store would stock only 18 units of the Toshiba player were false. "There are no limited quantities for stores or purchases."

Full Story: cnn.com

#2 jer_stud56

jer_stud56

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:22 PM

Saw this on engadget yesterday too. Idk if I'd rather go for this, or the HD DVD add on for the 360 with like what, 8 movies free from amazon?

#3 sirsmacketh

sirsmacketh

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

Wow. a sub-$200 standalone HD-DVD player. I just did a quick search and the cheapest Blu-Ray player I could find was at $377 at RefurbDepot.com for a REFURBISHED ONE.

I think this holiday season could be a deciding factor in this format war. I feel like hitting the border and picking up a cheap VIZIO LCD and a HD-DVD player!!

#4 iLLNESS

iLLNESS

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:computers, video games, my gf, movies, drinking
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:49 PM

the price of the player wont be the factor. itll be the movies..
but with transformers, i think it could really help this holiday

#5 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:22 PM

you know I always here people talk about the movies, but when you look at the shelves most of the time they get equal shelf space, they each have some good exclusives, and most of the really popular movies have come out on both formats.

but for $200 it's an easy buy to go along with your new HDTV during the busiest HDTV shopping season of the year.

This new low price for a stand alone player COULD provide the boost HD-DVD needs to take the market... or it could just not sell and spell certain doom for the format since they've been banking on hitting this price point first as their main advantage.

#6 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

im still crossing my fingers that my 360 that i send to get fixed comes back with HDMI, then ill buy the 360 one heh.

#7 haroonie

haroonie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

Now Circuit city has Toshiba HD-A2 for $197. Buy some batteries for $3 and then the recent 40 off $200 coupon, then you got it all for about $165 w/ 5 free hd dvd's too.

worked for me. love the player in the living room.

#8 moddingswede

moddingswede

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:35 PM

I'm going with the Xbox 360 HD DVD. At Best Buy you get Heroes Season 1, plus the other free movies. Thats the best deal.

#9 iLLNESS

iLLNESS

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:computers, video games, my gf, movies, drinking
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(moddingswede @ Oct 27 2007, 12:11 AM) View Post

I'm going with the Xbox 360 HD DVD. At Best Buy you get Heroes Season 1, plus the other free movies. Thats the best deal.

until u get rrod and u cant watch hd movies

#10 HotKnife420

HotKnife420

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:05 AM

This is great, and all, but how is it xbox news(for front page)?

#11 BasicAir

BasicAir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Everything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:40 AM

The bad thing about these standalones on sale for $198 is that they don't do 1080p.

I was shocked to find that out, but apparantly it's true.

I don't understand why it is, but at least my 360 HD-DVD addon does 1080p and over HDMI, too. As much as people criticize the 360 addon, it's really a steal of a deal and always has been. It continues to be a better deal than the A2's on sale for $198 since, like I said, these A2's don't do 1080p. Then again, the 360 addon is -only- a better deal as long as you've already got a 360 (and can take advantage of 1080p like me).

Now then, most consumers won't see a difference between 720p/1080i/1080p. People like me will, though. So 1080p is still a big deal to me. smile.gif

#12 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:10 AM

^ 1080p isn't commonplace enough yet. $200 is the barrier for the bargain shopper. Bargain shoppers as a rule don't have the latest technology, ie 1080p. If they own an HDTV, then most likely it is only capable of 720p or 1080i.

Movie buffs that want 1080p, will spend the little extra money to get it.

Even still, most movie buffs cannot tell the difference between 720p and 1080i or p. They just own the best so that they can say they do.

This price break is a good thing for HD in general.

Edited by throwingks, 27 October 2007 - 03:11 AM.

#13 0794

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Interests:medicine, engineering, Jeeps, technology, automobiles, and just about everything...

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

for those that are interested, this is an amazing price point and should be able to make a bigger dent in the Hi-Def sales this holiday season than last

videophiles don't make trends in the market, consumers as a mass do and they as a whole don't really care about HD resolution but more on price and ease of use and with the HD media still so expensive, I can't really see even cheap players causing much of a trend away from the original DVD format...

personally, i say screw optical media and give me more HD on demand (like what can be obtained on the 360) - i won't buy either format for a good while

#14 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

I've found the HD-DVD drive for 100 here in the UK though most out of stock for 360.

#15 bob_barker

bob_barker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

Discount retailers like Wal-Mart move a LOT of units, and can bring enormous pressure to bear on suppliers.

Also, moving more units means economies of scale that benefit us all?

Me? I'm sick of the equivalent HD-DVD costing more than Blu-Ray, and significantly more than standard def. I only own about 4 HD movies so far and have rented the rest from Netflix. Bring on the $9.99 bargain bin HD-DVDs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users