• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bo0m3r

Bo0m3r

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

Went yesterday for a new xbox arcade. There was a benq drive installed.
After flashing the xbox, it gives me an error code that there is a wrong or no firmware installed on drive.

I don't know what to do now.

This is what I've done:

- checked the first I/O memory bank of my 6421 VIA chipset, it is CC00.
What I found strange is that the last memory bank is C000, this looks like a smaller number than CC00.

-booted in DOS, turned console on wich is connected to VIA chipset.
-gave the command: dosflash r cc00 1 a0 1 4 a:\origin.bin 0.
-it starts reading immediately without turning on/off xbox.... (very strange)
-booted in Vista, used the make_firmare.bat for ixtreme-benq. copied the fresh made ixtreme.bin to my diskette.

-than again the same as for reading but with paramater w for write and ixtreme.bin in stead of origin.bin. Again it starts writing without turning off/on xbox.

-after writing bank4...ok! it gives me +-10000 errors writed.

-when testing xbox, down right light is red!!

I think I'm really screwed cause I've wrote something on the xbox drive cause it doesn't work anymore so maybe the reading was faulty to and my original firmware is probably lost now sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif.

Help?

#2 lpetersen

lpetersen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE(Bo0m3r @ Oct 31 2007, 11:31 AM) View Post

Went yesterday for a new xbox arcade. There was a benq drive installed.
After flashing the xbox, it gives me an error code that there is a wrong or no firmware installed on drive.

I don't know what to do now.

This is what I've done:

- checked the first I/O memory bank of my 6421 VIA chipset, it is CC00.
What I found strange is that the last memory bank is C000, this looks like a smaller number than CC00.

-booted in DOS, turned console on wich is connected to VIA chipset.
-gave the command: dosflash r cc00 1 a0 1 4 a:\origin.bin 0.
-it starts reading immediately without turning on/off xbox.... (very strange)
-booted in Vista, used the make_firmare.bat for ixtreme-benq. copied the fresh made ixtreme.bin to my diskette.

-than again the same as for reading but with paramater w for write and ixtreme.bin in stead of origin.bin. Again it starts writing without turning off/on xbox.

-after writing bank4...ok! it gives me +-10000 errors writed.

-when testing xbox, down right light is red!!

I think I'm really screwed cause I've wrote something on the xbox drive cause it doesn't work anymore so maybe the reading was faulty to and my original firmware is probably lost now sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif.

Help?

I had the same thing! I also freaked out, but got it to work. What I did was use the auto version of dosflash. At the dos prompt just type dosflash and follow the instructions, but you should erase the firmware first. Then flash it.
I first erased the bad firmware, then flashed it with orig.bin and then flashed it with the benq fw.
Hope this works for you, don't forget to use the auto version of dosflash!

#3 scott076q

scott076q

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

using a via card you have to delete the firmware on your drive before flashing

after you have read your orig.bin

boot to dos and then use the dosflash.exe e XXXX (<---your port number) 1 a0 1 4 D8

Then reboot and then write the firmware.

Its all in the .txt file you get in the benq firmware zip (ps I recommend 8x speed)

#4 noztradamus

noztradamus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

had the exact same problem with a friends box. No problems reading the firmware but ereasing and writing gave me like 14000 errors. Tried all tutorials, also tried just using dosflash and then follow the instructions onscreen as suggested in this thread. Nothing worked

So this is how i finaly got it to work.

Used ntfs4dos to get into dos.
Once in dos i started the 360 with the sata cable pluged in only to the pc (not connected to the 360)
Used the same standard command line for erease that i used before
Pressed Y when i got the question to proceed but i didnt press enter.
Plugged in the sata cable in my 360, pressed enter.
As soon as i saw the green ring starting to flash on the box (happens like 5sec after you plug in the sata cable) i turned the 360 off and then on again as soon as i could.
Voila perfect erease with no errors.
Rebooted pc, shut down the 360 and unplugged the sata cable from it.

Did the exact same thing to write the new firmware. Key is to plug the sata cable in the 360 right after you pressed Y, but before you pressed enter.

Hope its helpful to somebody.

/noz

#5 EvilGenius102

EvilGenius102

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(noztradamus @ Nov 19 2007, 08:52 PM) View Post

Pressed Y when i got the question to proceed but i didnt press enter.
Plugged in the sata cable in my 360, pressed enter.
As soon as i saw the green ring starting to flash on the box (happens like 5sec after you plug in the sata cable) i turned the 360 off and then on again as soon as i could.
Voila perfect erease with no errors.
Rebooted pc, shut down the 360 and unplugged the sata cable from it.

so this is abit confusing.
when you select yes (without hitting enter)
then you plug in the sata from your computer to your benq drive?
Then after it started to flash (5 seconds) then turned it off then on again
And then you hit enter?

Just trying to clarify cause I tried just turning it on then leaving the sata unplugged then running the command and hitting enter then plugging in the sata and it starts right away but doesnt work in the end.

#6 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

Already posted above...

Edited by caster420, 20 November 2007 - 12:07 AM.

#7 noztradamus

noztradamus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

i will try to clearify as best i can. Long time since i tried to explain something in english so bare with me....Just want to say right away that i dont think this is a method that will work for everybody. Also want to say that i have the via6420chipset and i used dosflash16 1.3b.

Ok so after you typed in the command line, pressed enter and are faced with the yes/no question. Then press Y, plug the sata cable into the xbox and hit Enter. At this point you should se something like 0xD0 or something like that stuck on your screen. Wait for the ring of light to flash on your xbox, happens a few sec after you pluged in the sata cable, and as soon as you see it turn the xbox off and then on again. It should then start to erase/write.

Hope it helped to clear some questions for ya.

/noz

#8 xyexz

xyexz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, Xbox linux, Xbox CE, Xenium Chips and all things soldering...
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:51 AM

With my experience flashing the BenQ with nForce 4 chipset I had to erase as well, so I wouldn't just say it's a VIA only thing, also there are no adverse effects to erasing the fw with the nForce4 chipset so i'd recommend to just always erasing no matter what chipset your pc has.
Also in using iPrep to get the code of my sata controller it had two nForce4 sata controllers listed, I picked the first one in the drop down list thinking this would be the first sata port on my mobo, but oddly enough I couldn't get any response from DosFlash16 after turning the xbox on and off until I plugged the 360's sata cord into my 2 bank of sata connections.
Also, in my experience, I typed Y at the prompt and hit enter as the application says itself that it will continue to send out until detection is made so logically you should be able to hit enter before turning the xbox 360 on.
Also, at least with nForce4 chipset this is confirmed, you don't have to restart the 360 or pc after each command sent to the 360 with DosFlash16.

Process I followed to flash the BenQ with nForce4 chipset:
1) create dos boot usb thumb drive with iPrep, wrote down IO code for sata controller
2) booted to usb thumb drive after reboot
3) ran the DosFlash16 read command
4) pressed Y and enter at prompt
5) turned on 360 with sata connected in second set of sata connections.
6) read completed and ran ixtreme fw creator in dos
7) ran the erase command (never turned xbox off center green light flashing still)
8) ran the write command (never turned xbox off center green light flashing still)

I used DosFlash 1.3, iPrep 101 v0.0.2 with custom def file (def's don't matter in this case). Post link with info on creating your own defs here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users