Photo

Selling My Modding Service In The Local Town, Legalitys ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 markfitz

markfitz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hi ive been modding 360's for the past 6 months and have done a fair few for friends and family somewhere in the region of 100 xbox's i have tackled all various drives and problems, including the 79fk and the benq and all the basic drives.

Now that i can pretty much do them all. With christmas coming up. I was thinking i might sell this as a service to people. I actually own my own business doing SEO & programming management systems so i could do it all above board but was wondering of the legalitys behind it. Is it illegal ?

I have a friend who works for the royal mail he hands out leaflets constantly given to them by various companys. I was going to print a load off, and offer to flash consoles for 35 a go. Getting him to drop them in peoples houses.

Also as far as backing games up goes. I would prefer to stay away from that side of things due to piracy laws etc. But if somebody actually brought a game they owned to me and signed a form or brough a reciept to say they did infact own it bla bla could i back it up for them, as i think it would be arkward tryin to explain how to do it to everybody.

Any advice on this would be great, Feel free to put me in my place if im suggesting something illegal :<

#2 scuba156

scuba156

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

it is a bit of a grey area as in some places it is illegal to hack a console, but some places it is completely legal. check your local law to find out

as for selling backed up games, it it illegal no matter what you do, period

#3 fred333

fred333

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

Sounds like nice idea, but I could see some legal issues with it.

#4 Shugster

Shugster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:13 PM

I assume by the Royal Mail mention, you are in Britain. I read recently that you can only be prosecuted if you earn financial gain from the modding, which in your case would be true. My favourite UK chip supplier's recently been busted & when reading about it on t'interweb, that was the interpretation of the law.

Here's a link to the story

http://www.reghardwa...odding_bristol/

#5 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

As mentioned above if you are in the UK, everything you mentioned is illegal. Regardless, DO NOT TOUCH THE MAKING OF BACKUPS WITH A 10 FOOT POLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! That will get you into more trouble than anything else. It doesn't matter what the circumstances are, stay away from any kind of backup production.

#6 thebroken

thebroken

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

Not a good idea.

#7 nicz888

nicz888

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:17 AM

can someone direct me to the right direction. i need to mod my x360 thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users