• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 November 2007 - 03:38 AM

My quest: (possibly wrong area to post)

I'm looking for the ultimate AV switch. The problem is I have way too much stuff to hook up. I am looking for a device that will let me hook up close to 20+ assorted consoles and audio/video inputs.

I have considered building the device myself but would prefer to purchase a ready made quality solution.

My situation:
I am currently using 5 av switches for various consoles, this is extremely unsiteful and a hap hazard means of accomplishing my goal.

What I have as of current:

5+ composite inputs
4+ component inputs
2 Dvi inputs
4 Svideo
1 VGA
1 Coax

I am hooking all this up to a 37" 1080p Westinghouse LCD. If at all possible I would like the ability to up convert.

If anyone knows of such a solution or suggestions I'd appreciate it.

#2 o The Drizzle o

o The Drizzle o

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:05 AM

daisy chain the av selectors haha.

#3 SICKdimension

SICKdimension

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:TO IM ME, STATE YOUR REASON, DON'T JUST SAY "HEY R U THERE?"
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:25 AM

Do you want an automatic switch, or manual buttons?

#4 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:17 PM

I'd prefer manual but automatic is fine also.

I am currently daisy chaining 3 of them for composite alone....

#5 Hoppy

Hoppy

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

I was just thinking about this myself today. I just hooked up an HD-DVR and need to figure out how to hook everything up nice and neat.

The joys of being a cable guy. I get paid to hook myself up, then get a bonus for selling myself a High-Def box. biggrin.gif

#6 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:24 AM

I'm afraid multiple switches are necessary, unless you want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on expensive matrix switchers. Unfortunately, there is no chance you will find a single switch that will handle all your input types.

I'd suggest the following:

1. a mid-to-high range home theater receiver that upconverts analog signals over component. (I like the Pioneer VSX-1017TX). This gives you the benefit of running minimal cables to the TV. You won't find one that will handle your 5+ composite, 4 component, and 4 S-video inputs though, so you'll then need:

2. A nice component switch that can handle 1080p bandwidth (cheaper ones cannot). You'll be able to find a 4-port one easily.

3. A cheap second switch to handle your composite and S-video inputs.

4. DVI-to-HDMI adapters

So you end up with:

5+ composite inputs: handled by composite/s-video switch
4 component inputs: handled by component switch
2 DVI inputs: handled by receiver (with HDMI-DVI adapters)
4 S-video inputs: handled by composite/s-video switch

One component cable running from receiver to TV
One HDMI cable running from receiver to TV
1 VGA input: direct to TV
1 coax: direct to TV

Many of these switches are rack-mountable or are a standard size and will stack and not be an eyesore.

Good luck!

#7 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:06 PM

Perplexer's got this on lock... I couldn't have said it better myself.

Unfortunately they don't expect consumers to have so many devices.

If you want to start talking specific model numbers and brands for switches I think we should take a look at what you're using today

What do you have for a TV, what resolution does it run, what inputs does it have
What do you have for a Receiver, what inputs does it have does it do video as well and does it offer any scaling features?
What do you have for switches? What inputs/outputs do they have?
Those DVI devices are they DVI-I, DVI-D or DVI-A?

Also if you could give specifics as to the devices your hooking up that might help. Often times it might be beneficial to use a different output mode of a device so knowing what you have will let us know if a certain device can also configured for a different output type.

I've got quite a few devices on my setup as well
wii -component/RCA
360 -component/Optical
ps2 -component/Optical
DVD player - HDMI/Optical
Xbox 1 - component/Optical
Dreamcast -VGA/RCA
PSOne - Svideo/RCA
Saturn - Composite/RCA

and I have 1 switch and 1 remote

you have to be crafty, daisy chaining is bad news for signal fidelity.

I guarantee you wont get out of this for less than $200

oh and I'm moving this to the HDTV forum.

#8 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:43 PM

Here Goes.

Screen:
Westinghouse 37" LVM-w1 1920x1080

Inputs on the Tv are:
2 Component
2 Composite
2 Svideo
2 DVI (One DVI limited to 720p)
1 VGA
No tuner - No coax in

My current receiver is more limiting than most. It's an Old VHS Dubbing receiver. ( It's really cool I swear!) ATM the only Composite and Svideo sources are run through this. Otherwise my audio is taken from the back of the TV to the receiver. I can switch 3 composite\Svideo sources here.

As for the switches I have a rather hodge-podge list of relatively inexpensive devices (not so great I know).

Component: Mad Catz 6132 HDTV component selector (Got for free)

Composite\Svideo\Coax: Pelican Universal System Selector + Some cheap Radio shack Av switch.

Dvi's are currently run direct to the TV

What I've got to plug in... (As of today) Both cable options listed if I had them

1 Sega Master System (Composite)
1 Sega CD/Genesis (Composite)
1 NES (Composite)
1 VCR (Composite) - use as a tuner for atari

2 Sega Saturn's 1 Jap + 1 US (S-video or Composite) I could sacrifice 1, but I use it for Netlink
1 PSX (S-video or Composite)
1 Goldstar 3DO (S-video)
1 N64 (S-video)
1 SNES (S-video)

1Gamecube (Component)
1 Wii (Component)
1 PS2 (Component)
1 Xbox (Component)

1 Dreamcast (VGA)
1 HTPC (DVI)

1 Atari 2600 (Coax)

That's just what I have as of today. I'm in the market for a PS3, and 360 for consoles and considering purchasing a tivo and service for HD content.

Dvi's and VGA are fine direct to TV, it's the others I am more concerned about.

#9 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:29 PM

Perp looking at the specs for the pioneer HERE

Edit: I think this is a dif. model VSX-1017TXV-K

It appears that the receiver has 5 Svideo, 5 Composite, and 3 component, in addition to the 2 hdmi ports.

It appears that the receiver only up converts to component output, or will it up convert over to HDMI?

Edited by EverestX, 03 November 2007 - 07:34 PM.

#10 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:38 AM

That Pioneer 1017 is a lot of receiver. I have the 1014 (no HDMI) and absolutely love it.

But you're right, the 1017 only upconverts to component. Not really a big deal if you are using the component ins on your TV set anyway. There is a nice Yamaha that upconverts all signals to HDMI, but it's $1000, and also it only converts to 1080i/720p. No 1080p (only 1080p passthrough).

There's an Onkyo HERE that upconverts all signals to HDMI (analog signals to 480p, digital possibly to 1080p) and the price is right, under $350.

I'm sure you have other options too, but a good upconverting receiver is definitely the first step in eliminating some of those switchboxes and the mess of cables.

I too have a bunch of devices. Somehow I've managed to manage with one A/V switch and my receiver.

Xbox: Component/Optical
Xbox360: VGA/Optical
PS2: Component/Optical
Wii: Component/RCA
DVD: Component/SPDIF
DirecTivo: S-Video/Optical
FTA PVR: Component/Optical
"Workbench" (temp devices): Composite/RCA

I ended up having to get a pricey component switch that does Toslink and doesn't have problems with 720p/1080p. I know twistedsymphony has been there smile.gif

Let us know how it plays out. There are good A/V folks with a wealth of knowledge here!

#11 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:53 AM

ok first...

Is there any compelling reason you need to keep your PSX hooked up since you have a PS2? Similarly is there any compelling reason you need to keep your Gamecube hooked up since you have a Wii?

You said you have 2 Saturns... I assume you're netlinking the two together? otherwise I don't see any good reason to have more than one hooked up at the same time

Do you use the VCR for anything but a tuner for the atari? if not I'd suggest getting a component or S-video adapter, failing that a small stand-alone RF modulator will serve you much better than a VCR.

Final question... the 360 you'll be getting, do you plan on run HDMI, VGA, or Component, or do you even have a preference. Similarly the PS3 will you be running HDMI or component with that?

Now we can consider Composite and S-Video to be essentially the same video type. you can switch between them easily with a cheap adapter if need be and any GOOD switch that supports 1 will support them both.

Also we didn't talk about audio channels...
what does your receiver and TV offer for audio inputs? Does your receiver accept optical/coax SPDIF?

#12 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

As for why I keep the PSX when I have a ps2, that one I could hook up else where..

The saturns are a dif. story, 1 of them is a jap saturn and 1 is us. I use the US for netlink games as it lets me play my originals, to play Netlink games on the other I will have to J patch all my ISOs. Not only that the card slot is very picky on my Jap saturn and can be a real PITA to swap AR/Mem card/Netlink out of.

The VCR has limited use, It's my only means of palying Rikki-tikki-tavi (I cant find it on DVD!) and as a tuner. I have looked around at local elctronic stores but they do not seam to have an adapter that will go from Coax to RCA. They only seem to cary RCA to Coax for adapting old tv's. In all honesty, I would like to ditch the VHS player.

ps3 and 360 will be HDMI. Plugged in through hdmi > DVI connectors.

My reciever is going to be replaced. It offers only 1 Coax in and no SPDIF support as it was built is the mid 80's. I found a Denon AVR-687 (Cheap! $140 Open box) that looks like a nice replacement but it has no HDMI, so I may look at a higher model, or similar range Onkyo/HK's.

#13 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

ok So here is the list of what we're working with here:

S-Video
-SMS
-Genesis
-NES
-SNES
-3DO
-N64
-Saturn USA
-Saturn JPN

Component
Wii
PS2
Xbox

VGA
Dreamcast

DVI
HTPC
PS3

Unless you want to front the money on a stand alone scaler for your S-Video devices I think the only thing were going to do here is find a solution to ensure that everything is organized and no signal gets fed through more than 1 switch.

For the 2600 if you're not adverse to soldering you can try any of these S-Video mods here: http://www.cheeptech.../2600mods.shtml

On a budget I'd go with Ben Heck's mod, or if you can front the cache the best solution goes for ~$150ish installed. That all depends on how much you play your 2600. If you're against cracking the case open then you can go to radio shack and buy an "RF Modulator" to convert the coax to S-Video... it wont be sold as a converter or adapter they're called RF modulators and they're sold as such... I saw 5 different models for sale when I was in radio shack last week.

Now you never told me if the DVI ports on your TV were DVI-I or DVI-D and that has some bearing on the next part....

For your DVI/HDMI devices I recommend picking up one of these switches:
http://www.monoprice...amp;cp_id=10110

If your TV has DVI-I then you could pickup a cheap VGA/DVI adapter for the Dreamcast and run it through the same switch Otherwise I'd suggest plugging the Dreamcast directly into the TV's VGA port.

I'd also recommend getting a Psyclone PSC01 switch.

it's a 4 port switch and can handle component, composite, svideo, stereo rca, optical and even network (though I find network rather useless).

You can hook up your Wii, PS2 and Xbox here... also since it's got both Component AND S-Video Connections you can double up on each of the ports meaning that you could put 4 of your S-Video devices on this switch as well.

Assuming you have at least 5 S-Video inputs on your new Receiver you can use it for the remaining S-Video devices.

I would also recommend purchasing a harmony remote to manage all of these devices... they may seem expensive but I found it to be money well spent. the 360 specific remote is quite nice because it's the only one with ABXY buttons making it handy when using with consoles such as the PS2, PS3, Xbox 1, or Xbox 360

#14 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

I personally wont crack open my Sears Arcade, it's one of the few consoles that I am am a sucker for off the line. I think she's a beaut stock. However, I'm confused on the external Svideo Adapter. How do I get audio? All the adapters apear to be coax direct to Svideo.

Funny you should mention that web page however as the guy recomends the Svideo switch I have HERE

Tv is Dvi-D.

I'd like to thank you guys for helping to answer a lot of my questions!

#15 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

2 hr later dbl post.

Edited by EverestX, 05 November 2007 - 09:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users