Pojojedichicken

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

I installed a switch for my cyclowiz. I do the test (to see if its working with the firmware patch) and it acts as if the switch isnt there. So i check my solder points. All is well but i decide to use a new switch. I turn on the wii, it tells me to turn the switch to on. I do. The wii turns off. It smells like something has now burned. The DVD drive doesnt power on. Its eject function and cd loading function will not work. When the wii turns on the dvd drive normally makes some noise. It no longer does. Something is definitely wrong with the drive. Can you make a custom power supply for it? Does anyone know what the switch connects and any possible problems?

#2 thefatpigeon

thefatpigeon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:29 AM

You may have burned out a fuse. i had teh same happen to me.

IPB Image

try this to see if it works.

Edit. photo is not mine.

Edited by thefatpigeon, 06 November 2007 - 01:30 AM.

#3 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:15 AM

thats a fine way to see if thats what the issue is

the better way is just to test continuity and replace the fuse

#4 aj9027

aj9027

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:08 PM

hi i am having the same problem, i was installing a wiikey and messed up the solder job and my dvd drive was dead, would not take games or even spin up. So I bought a new one on ebay and I still have the same problem with a fresh unmodded drive. Please help

#5 erett2000

erett2000

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:46 PM

Thank you so much! That worked!

Few questions:
A) Can I leave the wire there, or do I HAVE to replace the fuse?
cool.gif What most likely caused the blown fuse (I have an unmodded drive, but I have soldered to the eject button on the wii)?

#6 VerbalVenom

VerbalVenom

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(erett2000 @ Jul 29 2008, 02:22 PM) View Post

Thank you so much! That worked!

Few questions:
A) Can I leave the wire there, or do I HAVE to replace the fuse?
cool.gif What most likely caused the blown fuse (I have an unmodded drive, but I have soldered to the eject button on the wii)?

You partially gave yourself some insight. The reason the fuse blew was because a load was being put into it that exceeded it's tolerance. You're better off putting a new fuse in because if there is another load that exceeds it's normal voltage the wire isn't going to break connectivity, and you could possibly have a burned up wii or a burned down house. The short could have been from a metal touching metal scenario that caused your wii to ground itself out. Double check your contacts, and make sure they're not grounding. Check your solder and make sure it doesn't flow to another component it shouldn't.

Edited by VerbalVenom, 22 August 2008 - 09:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users