5 replies to this topic

#1 xoexpireu

xoexpireu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

I bought COD4 yesterday played it all night but the DVD drive started making some serious noises spinning up and down constantly making some pretty loud noises very odd never had this problem before until started playing COD4. Today I turned on the xbox and the dvd drive keeps opening and closing it will not stay shut sometimes it will try to read the disk but it says unreadable disk??? I do not have any mods at all I decided to purchase a new box after all the banning started hapening
all my games are original. I did replace the case to a better cooler case that monitors the heat and turns the fans on and stuff but thats it no modded firmwares on the drive. anyone have this problem no how to fix it???? it is a Hitachi v78 drive

#2 SlickWilly440

SlickWilly440

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:37 PM

Have you tried opening up the drives to see what the problem is? Check and see if the sliver colored magnet that's attached to the spindle motor (the part that makes the disc spin) is still their. If not then check the white cog, underneath the drive's top cover. Then super glue the magnet back where it belongs, evenly in the proper position.

#3 xoexpireu

xoexpireu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(SlickWilly440 @ Nov 8 2007, 04:13 PM) View Post

Have you tried opening up the drives to see what the problem is? Check and see if the sliver colored magnet that's attached to the spindle motor (the part that makes the disc spin) is still their. If not then check the white cog, underneath the drive's top cover. Then super glue the magnet back where it belongs, evenly in the proper position.

Ok I have the drive open where is that magnet located? is there any pics of this available?
Thankz for the help.

QUOTE(xoexpireu @ Nov 8 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

Ok I have the drive open where is that magnet located? is there any pics of this available?
Thankz for the help.

Nice I think I found it. it was attached to the white cog under the lid. I guess I have to super glue it back to the motor spindle ontop Thankz.

#4 SlickWilly440

SlickWilly440

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

Here is a picture: http://www.dansdata....n_dvdrw1280.jpg. Do you see the black, circular part in the middle, and then do you see that silver circular thing in the middle of that? That's is the magnet and that setup is pretty much the same for all optical drives.

QUOTE(xoexpireu @ Nov 8 2007, 01:47 PM) View Post

Nice I think I found it. it was attached to the white cog under the lid. I guess I have to super glue it back to the motor spindle ontop Thankz.

Wow, I'm surprised that was the reason for the drives trouble, but since it happened to my drive, I thought it could happen to other drives aswell. I bet the extreme heat of all the spinning and such had melted the glue between the magnet and the spindle motor, which eventually came off.

Make sure you super glue it all the way on and evenly. Then wait for the glue to dry completely. Otherwise the magnet might get kind of loose and end up stuck in an uneven position, causing the disc to be un-secure, especially if the 360 is stood vertically.

This problem happened to me and I had to force the magnet off with a razor (didn't have acetone at the time), and then I had to scrape the superglue on the inside off to get the magnet to fit evenly.

Edited by SlickWilly440, 08 November 2007 - 08:22 PM.

#5 xoexpireu

xoexpireu

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(SlickWilly440 @ Nov 8 2007, 08:52 PM) View Post

Here is a picture: http://www.dansdata....n_dvdrw1280.jpg. Do you see the black, circular part in the middle, and then do you see that silver circular thing in the middle of that? That's is the magnet and that setup is pretty much the same for all optical drives.
Wow, I'm surprised that was the reason for the drives trouble, but since it happened to my drive, I thought it could happen to other drives aswell. I bet the extreme heat of all the spinning and such had melted the glue between the magnet and the spindle motor, which eventually came off.

Make sure you super glue it all the way on and evenly. Then wait for the glue to dry completely. Otherwise the magnet might get kind of loose and end up stuck in an uneven position, causing the disc to be un-secure, especially if the 360 is stood vertically.

This problem happened to me and I had to force the magnet off with a razor (didn't have acetone at the time), and then I had to scrape the superglue on the inside off to get the magnet to fit evenly.

well it kind of works now but not really sometimes the disk will boot up but most of the time it will not now it says unplayable disk.

#6 SlickWilly440

SlickWilly440

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

Could you rephrase what you said in the last post because I don't understand what you are trying to state.

Did you check the drive again? How is the situation with the magnet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users