6 replies to this topic

#1 durkgentlee

durkgentlee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

Hi

My 360 has died, and was modified, so I can't get a warranty repair done, therefore, I will be buying a new unit.

The cheapest I can find is the Arcade version, I would like to "upgrade" the firmware straight away so I can play my backups

Does anyone know how moddable the new units are? do they have DVD drives that can be hacked?

Could I put the DVD drive from my old, modded unit into the new console?

Thanks for any help!!!

Nick

#2 dennyy

dennyy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:28 AM

It depends on what drive it has. Yes you could put in the old dvd drive and replace it with the new one in your system but you would need to get the key from the old dvd drive. I'm sure someone here with more knowledge would be able to help more.

#3 durkgentlee

durkgentlee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(dennyy @ Nov 13 2007, 01:04 PM) View Post

It depends on what drive it has. Yes you could put in the old dvd drive and replace it with the new one in your system but you would need to get the key from the old dvd drive. I'm sure someone here with more knowledge would be able to help more.

Cool, I kept all the relevant info when I modded the current drive, so I think I have the key

Do you think using the old drive would be the easiest option?

I'm hoping the Arcade has some upgraded components to make it more reliable, but on the downside, this might mean it has a DVD thats harder to flash

thanks

#4 Shazman

Shazman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

The newer machines I think have some improvements, but from the reports I have been reading, the newer 360 are still not 100% perfect. The new drives are a bit quieter but thats about it.

You can hack all current drives

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=513412

So you could just hack the new drive, you need to make sure that you have the correct hardware like a VIA chipset.

What make is your drive in you broken 360?

Thanks,

Shaz

#5 dennyy

dennyy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(durkgentlee @ Nov 13 2007, 06:10 AM) View Post

Cool, I kept all the relevant info when I modded the current drive, so I think I have the key

Do you think using the old drive would be the easiest option?

I'm hoping the Arcade has some upgraded components to make it more reliable, but on the downside, this might mean it has a DVD thats harder to flash

thanks

Either way your going to have to open up the new system. I would first find out what drive is in the new system and if it's hackable i would go with the newest firmware available for that drive. I would rather go with the newer drive rather then the old one. And if some how you can't get it to work then just go back to the old drive since you already have the key for it. Personally thats what i would do. But your just better off using the old drive since you already know how to flash it and all.

#6 durkgentlee

durkgentlee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:30 PM

I think Iíll go ahead and flash the new drive, not sure about a VIA chipset, but I was able to flash the old drive with my current PC

I canít remember the DVD player make, but I recall it being the easier of the two that were in the first batch of drives
-edit-

Pretty sure it was the Toshiba/Samsung drive, I don't have the 360 with me here

Edited by durkgentlee, 13 November 2007 - 12:33 PM.

#7 Shazman

Shazman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

durkgentlee I sent you a PM.

:-p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users