Jump to content


Photo

New Details on Uncharted: 'Only using 30%pct of SPU's'


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PS3Scene

PS3Scene

    X-S Freak

  • Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:37 AM

New Details on Uncharted: 'Only using 30%pct of SPU's'
Posted by XanTium | 14-11-2007 0:37 EST

 
From psu.com:


Christophe Balestra, Co-President of Naughty Dog:

"The main thing about the PlayStation 3 is the Cell processor and more specifically the SPU's. We are only using 30 percent of the power of the SPU's in Uncharted. We've been architecting a lot of our systems around this and we were able to take full advantage of that power. A big part of our systems is running on SPU's: scene bucketing, particles, physics, collision, animation, water simulation, mesh processing, path finding, etc. For our engine, the cool thing about having the SPU's is the fact we can minimize what we send to the RSX (the graphic chip), it allows us to reject unnecessary information and get the RSX to be very efficient."


Full Story: psu.com (via n4g.com)






#2 spinr34

spinr34

    X-S Genius

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

well maybe they should've used the other 70% cause the game doesn't look that good. k, thx.

#3 throwingks

throwingks

    X-S Freak

  • Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:47 PM

^
Judging from the 3 compressed jpegs in the link, the game doesn't look that bad to me. Those are the only 3 images I have seen though, and I have no idea if they are in-game.

#4 spinr34

spinr34

    X-S Genius

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:01 AM

i'll give them credit on the player models. the environments aren't that nice though. also, gameplay is decent. however, it might currently be one of the best games for the ps3.

#5 Chancer

Chancer

    Don't You Trust me?

  • Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE
well maybe they should've used the other 70% cause the game doesn't look that good

Perhaps you need a new TV. Have you played the demo version yet?

Read some of the reviews on the news sites. You will see exactly how highly rated this game is.
http://uk.ps3.ign.co...4/834931p1.html
Is just one.
Graphics are rated as fantastic.
I have the game on pre-order and can not wait to play this.
QUOTE
The first thing that Naughty Dog absolutely nails is the way Drake moves. Thanks to some revelatory motion capture techniques, every physical interaction with the world feels fluid, satisfying and as natural as anything I've played.

http://www.eurogamer...c...7533&page=1

QUOTE
Uncharted's visuals will likely dazzle you.

http://uk.ps3.gamesp...t/835136p1.html

Edited by Chancer, 15 November 2007 - 12:15 AM.


#6 spinr34

spinr34

    X-S Genius

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:13 AM

i played the demo. there isn't going to be any difference between a demo and full version. i didn't think it was that great. i guess to each his own.

#7 Chancer

Chancer

    Don't You Trust me?

  • Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:16 AM

Must just not be your type of game.
The graphics look awesome even if you don't like the game play.

#8 luther349

luther349

    X-S Hacker

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
  • Location:irvine ky
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:50 AM

its worded wrong. it should be we can only use 30% of the spu couse if we use the other 70% we run out of memery. muhaha.gif

#9 ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

    X-S Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Location:60GB PS3 v2.41 PSP 4.01 M33
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(luther349 @ Nov 15 2007, 08:26 PM) View Post

It's worded wrong. It should be "We can only use 30% of the SPU's because if we use the other 70% we run out of memory." muhaha.gif

1st off - A simple grammar correction.

2nd off - The amount of the processor power that is used is not going to change much because of how much RAM is or is not available.
We have already gone over the RAM situation with you.
Quit beating the dead horse, we all know what RAM is in each system, we cannot change it.

The developers are the ones that have to write the code around it.

Sony wanted to split it in to two parts half is XDR and half is GDDR3 the XDR is at 3.2GHz and the GDDR3 is at 700MHz.
What it looks like is Sony decided to have faster RAM (XDR) instead of having more "slow" RAM (GDDR3).

It all comes down to the developers ability to write and optimize the game code.

Edited by ludacrisvp, 16 November 2007 - 06:02 AM.


#10 Chancer

Chancer

    Don't You Trust me?

  • Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(luther349 @ Nov 16 2007, 02:26 AM) View Post

its worded wrong. it should be we can only use 30% of the spu couse if we use the other 70% we run out of memery. muhaha.gif

You were warned a couple of weeks ago about making stupid little posts which are nothing more than a dig at something. If you have some input and wish to take part in discussions on it (for or against) then please make an appropriate post. Stop trying to draw fire by what you perceive as a clever, witty little comment .
Don't drag this down the memory route again, you were wrong in the other thread about this which ended up a long debate. This is about a specific game and the SPUs.
This now your very last chance in here. No more warnings.

#11 XBOXIZGOOD

XBOXIZGOOD

    X-S X-perience

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:01 AM

I picked up Uncharted this past Friday, and wow.....the game looks and plays amazingly well. If more devs can figure out ways to use the SPUs, then the sky is the limit for the PS3. I miss my 360, but games like this give me hope.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users