• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 althena

althena

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Videogames (from the good old 8Bit-Times up to now), Mangas, Animes, Cinema, meeting friends, sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hi, I played a little bit around Snes9xBox and noticed that it plays Star Fox 2 without crashing (like the last xSnes9x from Lantus does). So I think I will keep that one on my Xbox too and use ZsnexBox as the main SNES emulator and xSnes9x and Snes9xBox for a few games and functions ZsnexBox doesn't have yet (like USB mouse support in xSnes9x and Star Fox 2).
However I wanted at least one skin for Snes9xBox right away but as I am not very skilled in using programs as Gimp I could only modify another skin to match one for a Super Nintendo a little more.
So I took the default one from MednafenX-NES and replaced the NES BGM with the same theme just from Super Mario All Stars from the SNES and replaced some text and the MednafenX logo with a Snes9x logo from the xSnes9x forum.
It doesn't bother me so much, that it is the same skin from the MednafenX-NES as I replace it with the old FCEUltra skin after every update (just like the classic pixel graphics there much better wink.gif ).

This is nothing special, just something I threw together with my poor and unexperienced skills in about 1 hour, but maybe a few other people also can use it who also prefer this skin over none at all.

But I am sure many others here can do much better so I hope I can motivate some people here to share some superior work soon wink.gif

http://rapidshare.co...x_skin.rar.html

#2 althena

althena

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Videogames (from the good old 8Bit-Times up to now), Mangas, Animes, Cinema, meeting friends, sports

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

Oohps, guess I got a little confused when I was writing the headline, of course I am talking about the Snes9xBox from XPort and not Xsnes9x from Lantus, I know that one does only support wallpapers wink.gif
Maybe a moderator could change the Xsnes9x into Snes9xBox in the headline?

#3 killergorilla

killergorilla

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

I thought I may as well upload my skin, if anyone wants it they can have it!

It's nothing special, just a modified PM3 skin with a picture of the SNES!

I use it in 720p, it'll look squashed on any non-widescreen modes.

IPB Image
(Please note the image above is stretched to make it look as though it would on a widescreen tv)

You can grab it HERE

Edited by killergorilla, 14 November 2007 - 04:57 PM.

#4 althena

althena

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

Just made some screenshots from Snes9XBox, (maybe need some elsewhere later). I used my slightly modified MednafenX-NES skin when making them, you can see the Snes9x logo and the "Super Nintendo" text. I used the same logo on the loading screen and you hear the Super Mario All Stars overworld theme from the Super NES instead of the original NES theme.

I am happy with it for now and it symbolizes somehow the two generations of Nintendo consoles when you use in MednafenX-NES the skin from the FCEUltra as I do wink.gif

But hope to see here some better ones soon smile.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

#5 molto

molto

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:peace
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(althena @ Nov 14 2007, 11:58 AM) View Post

Hi, I played a little bit around Snes9xBox and noticed that it plays Star Fox 2 without crashing (like the last xSnes9x from Lantus does). So I think I will keep that one on my Xbox too and use ZsnexBox as the main SNES emulator and xSnes9x and Snes9xBox for a few games and functions ZsnexBox doesn't have yet (like USB mouse support in xSnes9x and Star Fox 2).
However I wanted at least one skin for Snes9xBox right away but as I am not very skilled in using programs as Gimp I could only modify another skin to match one for a Super Nintendo a little more.
So I took the default one from MednafenX-NES and replaced the NES BGM with the same theme just from Super Mario All Stars from the SNES and replaced some text and the MednafenX logo with a Snes9x logo from the xSnes9x forum.
It doesn't bother me so much, that it is the same skin from the MednafenX-NES as I replace it with the old FCEUltra skin after every update (just like the classic pixel graphics there much better wink.gif ).

This is nothing special, just something I threw together with my poor and unexperienced skills in about 1 hour, but maybe a few other people also can use it who also prefer this skin over none at all.

But I am sure many others here can do much better so I hope I can motivate some people here to share some superior work soon wink.gif

http://rapidshare.co...x_skin.rar.html

how you put the skin in the folder Snes9xbox?.Thanks for the infos;)

#6 killergorilla

killergorilla

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:21 PM

Create a folder in your Snex9xbox folder called emuskins and then unpack the archive inside it, so that it's laid something like...

F:/Emulators/Snes9xbox/emuskins/default_snes9xbox/

Hope that helps

#7 althena

althena

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

By the way, as I mentioned in the release thread right now the emulator doesn't stop the BGM of the skins selected when starting the game, also with the setting "Stop BGM before playing game" set to "Yes". However you can always stop it yourself before starting a game by simply pressing the left thumbstick which opens the music menu. There you can stop the music, after exiting the game it will start automatically again.

#8 killergorilla

killergorilla

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

You could also remove all of the music files as well, but then you wouldn't have any music playing (which I prefer!)

#9 RoboChicken

RoboChicken

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:06 AM

Starfox 2 and Mario Paint! Hell yeah! I made a Mortal Kombat 1 drawing in it once and even stage music!! It was awesome! Anyone notice that the Wii interface/sounds feels like Mario Paint? Just a thought

Any other ROMS that only work in snes9xbox?

Edited by RoboChicken, 16 November 2007 - 12:08 AM.

#10 molto

molto

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:peace
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(killergorilla @ Nov 15 2007, 03:57 PM) View Post

Create a folder in your Snex9xbox folder called emuskins and then unpack the archive inside it, so that it's laid something like...

F:/Emulators/Snes9xbox/emuskins/default_snes9xbox/

Hope that helps

thanks for your help killergorilla smile.gif

#11 Retroplay

Retroplay

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(RoboChicken @ Nov 16 2007, 12:42 AM) View Post

Starfox 2 and Mario Paint! Hell yeah! I made a Mortal Kombat 1 drawing in it once and even stage music!! It was awesome! Anyone notice that the Wii interface/sounds feels like Mario Paint? Just a thought

Any other ROMS that only work in snes9xbox?

ActRaiser 2, Super Chase H.Q works correctly in Snes9Xbox which they don't in ZsneXbox.
Metal Max Returns recently translated to english by Aeon Genesis doesn't work properly in ZsneXbox but works fine in Snes9Xbox.

Edited by Retroplay, 16 November 2007 - 07:55 PM.

#12 althena

althena

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(killergorilla @ Nov 15 2007, 08:34 PM) View Post

You could also remove all of the music files as well, but then you wouldn't have any music playing (which I prefer!)

Of course I could, but I kind of like skins that have something to do with the system that is emulated. I really like the PM3 skin and all the other work from ChokeManiac in XBMC but for emulators I prefer skins like the ones from J-Red and Neverwill and they are just more fun with music I feel smile.gif

Seems if you are a perfectionist in SNES emulation on the Xbox the best way to go is having ZsnexBox, the latest xSnes9x and Snes9xBox together on your Xbox wink.gif In my emulator menus in UnleashX, XBMC or Avalaunch I already had a sub category for the SNES, if you click it you can choose now from the three emulators and as you can change the rom paths in them all, it doesn't really bother me.

I didn't check out ActRaiser 2 or Super Chase H.Q but noticed these differences in computability:

BS Zelda - Third and Fourth Quest: Runs in ZsnexBox only, Snes9xBox and xSnes9x just end up in a black screen (probably older versions of xSnes9x would also work if I remember correctly).

BS Zelda - Ancient Stone Tablet: The exact opposite, xSnes9x and Snes9xBox run the game fine but ZsnexBox will start the game unplayable (messed up graphics).

Star Fox 2 Beta with English patch: In ZsnexBox the game starts but with speed issues. In xSnes9x it first runs fine but crashes when you enter a battle. In Snes9xBox it seems the work fine so far.

Dragon Quest V with English patch: Works fine in Zsnes9xBox and xSnes9x but doesn't start in Snes9xBox (the Japanese version works there).

So if lets say I would use ZsnexBox as the main SNES emulator these days it might seem that for the few games this one can't play Snes9xBox would be enough (because of Star Fox 2) but then there is also the USB mouse support that so far only xSnes9x has wink.gif
But as said above, it is really no bother and I like to have many emulators to choose from smile.gif

#13 Retroplay

Retroplay

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:34 PM

Does anybody know what the name of the font used in the logo is ?
IPB Image
I'd like to create a similar one for Snes9Xbox.

#14 Retroplay

Retroplay

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

IPB Image

The power led is animated.
Download is here.
I tried to match the official Snes9x logo as close a possible.
There's still room for some tweaks here and there tho. sleep.gif
This skin is made with 16:9 in mind so it'll look squished on standard 4:3 display.

#15 althena

althena

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE(Retroplay @ Dec 12 2007, 10:48 PM) View Post

IPB Image

The power led is animated.
Download is here.
I tried to match the official Snes9x logo as close a possible.
There's still room for some tweaks here and there tho. sleep.gif
This skin is made with 16:9 in mind so it'll look squished on standard 4:3 display.

Looks nice smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users