Photo

My Friend Says He Can Mod My 360... Trust Him?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kernando

kernando

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:38 AM

He's done 4 before, all worked. Never done an Elite though, that's what I have. He also says that Live will still work with a backed up game. Is this true? How safe? It's the mod where you open up the 360 and hook it up to your computer..

#2 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:45 AM

If you want to be 100 percent safe with live. Do not mod the box. There is no way of knowing what MS may throw up in the future and live bans are always possible.
If your mate is competent then the actual flashing of the drive should not be an issue. depends on the drive you have in the elite.

#3 kernando

kernando

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:36 AM

I know I have the Hitachi LG but don't know the model number... are Hitachi's moddable? Are only certain models of Hitachi moddable?

#4 Xboxologist

Xboxologist

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:40 AM

If you have a Hitachi in an Elite, you probably have a 79FL. This currently requires a modchip to be installed which is much more difficult than just a software based flash.

Unless he is an experienced solderer, or has done a 79FL before, I wouldn't trust him with it.

What you should do is try to exchange your Xbox360 for a new one with a BenQ drive. Then you can have your friend flash the BenQ iExtreme onto it with a software-only method. This will be your SAFEST option.

As for Live, there is always a chance that you will get banned, but you can minmize your chances by using iExtreme firmware (stealth backups only) and not using "warez" releases (only make backups of your own games).

#5 kernando

kernando

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(Xboxologist @ Nov 14 2007, 10:16 PM) View Post

If you have a Hitachi in an Elite, you probably have a 79FL. This currently requires a modchip to be installed which is much more difficult than just a software based flash.

Unless he is an experienced solderer, or has done a 79FL before, I wouldn't trust him with it.

What you should do is try to exchange your Xbox360 for a new one with a BenQ drive. Then you can have your friend flash the BenQ iExtreme onto it with a software-only method. This will be your SAFEST option.

As for Live, there is always a chance that you will get banned, but you can minmize your chances by using iExtreme firmware (stealth backups only) and not using "warez" releases (only make backups of your own games).

so are other hitachi models moddable? how would i go about finding the model number.

#6 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(kernando @ Nov 15 2007, 03:36 AM) View Post

so are other hitachi models moddable? how would i go about finding the model number.

Yes, a little bit of searching would have easily told you that every other drive besides the v79 can be flashed without any hardware modifications.

You have to open the case to find out which version of Hitachi you have. As stated above, it is likely a v78 (which would be good) or a v79.

Caster.

Edited by caster420, 15 November 2007 - 01:55 PM.

#7 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:32 PM

I think the fact you are asking here if you should trust your friend to mod your 360 is a good indicator that you don't really trust him to do it.
You are more likely to know if he is capable than us forum dwellers,as you actually know the guy.

#8 kernando

kernando

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

if you actually do manage to get banned on live because of a dvd drive flashing... would it still be good under the MS warranty if your sticker was put back on properly.

#9 carton132

carton132

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

Well, ya know, they don't put those stickers on for decoration. No, like it or not, if you open the 360 you void the warranty.

#10 kernando

kernando

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE(carton132 @ Nov 15 2007, 12:47 PM) View Post

Well, ya know, they don't put those stickers on for decoration. No, like it or not, if you open the 360 you void the warranty.

he said he used a blowdryer to his sticker and can put it back on should anything happen to his 360. Is it possible to do this and fool MS?

#11 carton132

carton132

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

That would be considered fraud, which is not condoned here, or in the real world. You're not gonna go to jail for it, but you might get banned from here, and there's a fine chance you'll get your broken box sent straight back to you unrepaired with a hefty shipping charge from MS. I personally would like to see the 3ROD covered even on opened boxes, but you have to accept when you mod your system that you lose your warranty and you might get banned on Live. If you're ok with that, go for it. If not, buy a cheap used one to mod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users