• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peerless

Peerless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:18 AM

I have a modded xbox and can use the xbuntu live cd and i like it and want to install it. Heres where it gets unclear to me. If I install it, when I boot up my xbox will it go straight to linux or will it go to the modded dashboard or will it give me a choice? Without linux the regular power button goes to the modded dashboard and the eject button goes to the normal xbox operation. What will change? I would still like to be able to have all my saved games on my hard drive and be able to add more and still have linux installed, possible? Thanks in advance.

#2 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:26 PM

im not sure of ubunta, cause I have not used it.... but most of the distros give you different choices to install.

as long as you dont choose Native, you should be good... native wipes your F drive and turns it into linux only (just the F drive), and your xbox will still boot to your dashboard, then you launch it like an app.

just be careful, and read before you press buttons, and you''ll be good...if its going to wipe your hdd, there would be some kindve warning "are you sure xxxx xxxx xxxx ?"

try xdsl man, its the fastest, and most popular linux for xbox

#3 Peerless

Peerless

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:54 PM

Thanks, I will check out xdsl. I also have gentoox and xebian I might try, but if xdsl is what Im looking for then I will install it . Thanks for the info. So just to clarify on startup it will give me a choice of what I want to run? Or will I have to start linux through the modded dashboard? I just want to make sure Im not going to mess anything up with the modded part of the xbox and specifically the saving of games onto it.

#4 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

I cant say for sure, except with XDSL, but I'm sure all the rest have some kindve safety warning at least...so if a page comes up that says something like this "you're about to wipe your HDD" dont do it!

but even in XDSL when you choose Native, you will still boot like ya did before and have to launch it as an app.(but it will wipe F clean and reformat)

xdsl will run from a cd like ubunta, Gentoox is installed and then runs in a "loopback" form

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users