10 replies to this topic

#1 pongolle

pongolle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:55 AM

Hi guys,

I used xboxhdm v 1.9 to make a linux cd so i can add my 80gb hd to my softmod xbox,
the cd boots fine ,

i get to the menu and choose option one were i have to type xboxhd, when i do this i get many lines of text (somthing like searching for linux cd /dev/hda over and over) and then it says linux cd not found insert cd

i have a p5k mb which only has one ide slot which is what the 80gb hd is connected too, i also have 4 sata slots which i have a Samsung S203 dvd connected too

i have tried with dvd as primary boot and the hd , i have tried all the sata slots for the dvd , i also tried using a dvd instead of a cd , no difference

is it because you must use a ide dvd drive for the linux cd?

someone help me please ,

#2 wh00pass

wh00pass

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:15 AM

Try connecting other ide slots to the cd drive.. make sure the hd is on the primary masters.. *duh*
When it says the error messege try opening and closing the cd slot.. Only thing that can be wrong is the cd contents.. make sure all the files are were they should be and burn it using nero on a slow setting

#3 pongolle

pongolle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

there is only one ide slot on the p5k motherboard, and no options in bios for setting hd as primary master

only boot order options

i tried connecting my xbox dvd drive and the 80gb hd to the single ide slot and i still get the same crap after i type xboxhd

mount: Mounting /dev/hda on /xboxhdm failed: No such device or address...
Looking for CD-ROM in space /dev/hdb

continues up to

mount: Mounting /dev/hds on /xboxhdm failed: No such device or address...
Looking for CD-ROM in space /dev/hdt

The letters just go up each time but they end at t

it maybe that xboxhdm does not support the p35 chipset (asus p5k)??

are there any alternatives to xboxhdm or am i screwed??

#4 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

xboxhdm (I believe) is setup to have the CD you boot from in secondary master and the hard drive you want to alter as primary master. This is all using the old PATA (as opposed to SATA, which are both IDE btw..). If you boot the CD and hard drive on the same cable, the hard drive will be /dev/hdb instead of /dev/hda. You could manually alter the scripts (don't know how involved that would be..) or get a computer that has both a primary and secondary PATA IDE interface.

Edited by Movax, 18 November 2007 - 02:44 PM.

#5 pongolle

pongolle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

so i guess a p5k motherboard can not use xboxhdm then?

are there any alternatives to xboxhdm ?

#6 whitefox4

whitefox4

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(pongolle @ Nov 29 2007, 12:28 PM) View Post

so i guess a p5k motherboard can not use xboxhdm then?

are there any alternatives to xboxhdm ?

I am also having the same problem where it gets to the point where if you try any of the four options at the menu, "xboxhdm" will return "linux cd not found"! I have tried throwing that disc in an old machine which happens to have two Parallel ATA ports on it, seperated my cd-rom ATA from HD ATA cable, thinking that would work. One is set to master and the other master. the jumper doesn't care if it's cable select either because all the directions on the internet tell you different jumper settings and they all say be careful because the wrong setting can wipe the drive if you accidentally copy the wrong direction. (empty to xbox, rather than the xbox to empty.)

There are other ways out there, and unfortunately I am trying them aything and can't get anything to work either... This can't be too difficult we just need to think in theory...

The Xbox hard drive is locked unless you get a modchip, if you soft-modded your xbox it's still locked hard drive... and i tested this theory and it's true. so we can't just copy the hard drive like microsoft planned, but we can get around that. Some people say put a computer next to the opened xbox chassis and play a game for 5 minutes until the HD powers down, problem with this theory is the drive never powers down on mine! it still spins. This theory might work but I couldn't get it to work and I'm like Mythbusters of computer theory.

I pulled some interesting directions if you have a soft-mod xbox and try to do a HardDrive upgrade. I'll provide a hyperlink below.

Basically you get into DOS... I plan to try today using "SliTaz" (25MB) which is a version of Linux and boots from a disk or USB, great Operating System. It's the perfect O.S. for functionality. The original plan calls for a DOS tools floppy disk for Windows 95/98/ME DOS. They also tell you how to unlock the xbox HD with these tools and pull the "drive key" from the drive.

Read more of this from the source link.

I'll be back with any more info on my research to get a damn new hard drive to work in a xbox. aparently we need to put drivers on a disk and get those to the new hard drive. I'm not sure what to do next really I'm just trying different things.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:17 PM

I'm no expert on this, and I'm not entirely certain what you're trying to do, but Slitaz seems to be based on the linux 2.6 kernel, and I don't think that has FATX support. Xboxhdm uses an old linux distro based on the 2.4 kernel because that does have FATX support.

ldotsfan has done work on a 2.6 kernel based solution with more flexible booting options, but got stuck with getting locking to work, as I recall. You might want to have a read of this thread for details.

#8 jhigh420

jhigh420

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

[quote name='wh00pass' date='Nov 17 2007, 12:15 AM' post='4154594']
Try connecting other ide slots to the cd drive.. make sure the hd is on the primary masters.. *duh*

um he already said he didn't have any other ide slots *duh*
is there still no workaround for this problem with modern motherboards only having one ide slot?

#9 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

um he already said he didn't have any other ide slots *duh*
is there still no workaround for this problem with modern motherboards only having one ide slot?

Was it necessary to dig up a two year old post to ask this question?

Try XBOXHDM 2.2 it may help you. You will need to be able to boot from USB though.

If you only have one IDE slot, use the hard drive as master and the DVD as slave on the same cable.

#10 chris89

chris89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'm having the same damn problem but on a usb drive with no disc drive at all and only the 8gb xbox drive on primary ide master. So I bought some brand new cd-rw's to burn a new image. When it boots it errors saying "No DEFAULT or UI directive found!. So to fix that after hours of searching online I found someone said to change the isolinux folder to syslinux and all the files within named isolinux renamed to syslinux. Then that error went away and it boots to the first screen. Then I type xboxhd like it says and it says no linux cd found. So why are all these packs set up wrong? I may doing some testing and leave the file name isolinux.boot at syslinux.boot and change back the folder name to syslinux and change the other file syslinux.bin back to isolinux.bin. I think that may be the reason for this error since it IS NOT a motherboard problem. It's a problem with the compiled linux info.

So, if someone has a known to be working CD that works 100% can you please tell me what the files names are and if the folder is isolinux or syslinux. Most of the packages I haven't on here don't even have the god damn syslinux.exe so it boots saying no kernel image found. I had to find the syslinux.exe on the internet and implement it in to get it to even start AT ALL. So can someone please help? Give real info or TAKE THE TIME to post a screen shot of the contents of an xboxhdm that is 100% known to be working perfectly so we can find out what the issue is with our files.

THANKS

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

The packs aren't "set up wrong" - you can't read. xboxhdm 1.9 DOESN'T WORK if you don't have two IDE ports on your motherboard. If you only have one IDE port on your motherboard then you have to use xboxhdm2.2, which boots from a USB stick, not from a CD.

Is that real enough info for you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users