Photo

Rumor: PS3 to get Blu-ray Profile 1.1 update before end of 2007?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PS3Scene

PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:53 AM

Rumor: PS3 to get Blu-ray Profile 1.1 update before end of 2007?
Posted by XanTium | 16-11-2007 23:53 EST

From playthree.net:

On the 2nd January 2008 Sony are releasing Resident Evil: Extinction is the first Blu-ray movie to use profile 1.1. It is promising to be the most technologically advanced blu-ray movie ever as it will feature true picture in picture and 'Blu-Wizard 2' which will allow your player to 'remember' your viewing preferences for the movie, even after you have ejected it.

Sony are going to want to be sure that the biggest market of Blu-ray consumers, PlayStation 3 owners, will be able to take advantage of these features. So expect a firmware update by the end of 2007.

Full Story: playthree.net

#2 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:56 AM

Hope it happens as soon as possible.

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

This is something I believe will happen really quick.

#4 irnchriz

irnchriz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:54 AM

This is funny,

Sony scrabble around to update a $600 product but totally screw over all the guys who spent $1000 on their earlier blu-ray player which can never support the 1.1 standard due to a lack of memory.

LOL

#5 Foolscrow

Foolscrow

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

I'm curious...has there ever been an official statement from Sony, stating that the PS3 will be fully upgradable to profile 1.1?

The reason I ask: the playthree article doesn't cite a source for the comment (the hi-def digest link only talks about the film).

The best that I have been able to find is a few 'off the cuff' statements, about being able to use SOME of the new profile's features; but nothing else concerning full compliance. Please post the links if you have them. It seems to me that there is a lot of speculation on the topic, but I can't seem to find anything beyond that.

#6 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(Foolscrow @ Nov 19 2007, 01:44 PM) View Post
I'm curious...has there ever been an official statement from Sony, stating that the PS3 will be fully upgradable to profile 1.1?
This is all I could find.
http://www.hardcorew...cture-playback/
All it talks about is adding PIP and Blu-ray enhancements. No mention of supporting the 1.1 spec.

I think the PS3 may be able to support some 1.1 features, but I am not sure it can boast full on 1.1 support. Support of secondary video and audio decoders is mandatory to be 1.1 compatible. Unless it can be emulated somehow? I don't fully understand it.

Edited by throwingks, 19 November 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#7 metalcoat

metalcoat

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

I have a samsung dvd player that "remembers" all the info for that dvd. That includes subtitles, audio, and if I ejected and put in another movie it will start to play right where I left off. I bought it to upconvert since my xbox dvdrom drive is dead (partially my fault), and didn't realize this until after.

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:25 PM

I think some people may be under the impression that movies will not play on V1 players. this is not the case. It is simply the extra features implemented that will not be available. stuff like accessing the internet for extra interactive content related the to the film etc, I am not sure what interest to people that will be. I have never seen the use for PIP at all and find it distracting.
I can't multi task lol.

#9 ludacrisvp

ludacrisvp

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Nov 20 2007, 12:01 PM) View Post

I have never seen the use for PIP at all and find it distracting.

I have only seen one useful PIP on anything.

My Hitachi 57" HDTV has PIP that will let you split screen with 2 channels / input sources.
If you wanted to you could have an 8 way split with 2 360s or PS3s...LAN party on 1 TV...lol

It basically becomes two 4:3 images placed in what is similar to the letterbox for widescreen
movies on 4:3 monitors to keep the two video sources from having a distorted image.

I cannot see a good reason for the Blu-Ray player or the HDDVD player to have this.

The only example I can think of is watching the bonus features and it is showing the clip of the movie where the behind the scenes are for the stunt.

Edited by ludacrisvp, 22 November 2007 - 10:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users