30 replies to this topic

#1 Vibore

Vibore

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

Hi guys,

As you can see i'm new here, and i hope you ppl can help and later myself help someone to...(sory my english smile.gif )

Well i buy myself a new xbox360 that comes with a hitachi 79 fl(as i can understand only flashable with a 79pass key chip to put the drive in mode B ONLY)

But i just tryed to flash it anyway without soldering a passkey(just to see what happens) only using slax....
And guess what? The drive is on Mode B, my computer detects it ... but when i put a original dvd to dump the drive the tray always open.... grr.gif Is this normal? What is happening?

Hope someone can help me,

Thanks in advance

Vibore

#2 rowandacres

rowandacres

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:50 PM

lol thats what happends in mode b .. To Keep It Closed To Can Either press eject once and push the drive in or press twice and press once more while its closing ..There is an video Showing ho to do it Here You Go http://www.360mods.n...cle/sid=87.html

Good Luck

#3 Vibore

Vibore

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(rowandacres @ Dec 5 2007, 01:26 AM) View Post

lol thats what happends in mode b .. To Keep It Closed To Can Either press eject once and push the drive in or press twice and press once more while its closing ..There is an video Showing ho to do it Here You Go http://www.360mods.n...cle/sid=87.html

Good Luck

Ok, thanks

So... it is posible to put a 79 drive in mode b whitout a passkey chip?

Thanks again

#4 spanky456

spanky456

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:46 AM

So wait... you're saying you flashed your 79 fl without the passkey? I didn't think that was possible...

edit: nvm, I misread the post.

Edited by spanky456, 06 December 2007 - 02:50 AM.

#5 snyder80

snyder80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

Hi to all with a REDMOND 79er ! jester.gif

Actually i became a proud x360 owner (falcon hdmi). i realy read across this board and xbh-forum, becaue i got a hitachi in there and since the 79 ers are used since about jan/feb 2007 i bet ive got one, too.

There are different approaches to get the 79 software done (http://www.xboxhacke...&topic=6963.100)

Well after all, i didnt exactly find my question answered:

1. The problem seems to be, there is a copy-protection bit on the tsop/firmware, avoiding to read/write the firmware in casual and recovery-mode. Also there would be two adresses where the drive-key is located (4E10 and 4E90) .

2. The Proīs on xbh they found out, the problem was to get the drive into recovery-mode and read out the drive-key by using firmwaretoolbox. It gave just some wrong data.

But:
If i am right, there is a difference in between MODE B and RECOVERY Mode !!! huh.gif

If u would try the communication, described on page 5/6 in the xbh-forum mentioned (ie. by Geremia) but in MODE B (by using the slax 2.1 since Vibore found a way to get the drive into mode B, actually),
all we would need should be a FIX for the firmwaretoolbox 4.5 acessing/fixing the TWO adresses in the firmware, right ??

PS: Please dont blame for noob-knowledge... and i read across efnet, there should be a C4Eva 1.4 hitachi/Benq fix released soon. It shall help with the lateset kreon issues, but could it help with Redmond 79ers. too

#6 miltont

miltont

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

yes

I also tried it too.
The drive appears on My Computer Letter Assigned F:
I put a Movie on the drive , but when i close the tray the DVD starts to
read, but suddenly ejects the disc, if i do the trick of hitting 3 times the eject button
the movie loads i test it with windows media player and the movie plays, but when i go to try
to read the firmware to make the backup the program says that drive is not ready!
I see that the Xbox is flashing the green light.

#7 snyder80

snyder80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hi miltont!

So u tried to read the firmware with a Movie disc in there?? And what version of firmwaretoolbox did u try it??

Slightly OT,but lets face the facts and dream about future:

1. Fact: Live Demos/Arcade Demos are already playable from a burned CD/DVD WITHOUT the need of any firmware-flashing... on any Kernel (even the latest fall 07 !?) and stock x360

2. Fact: Also PJ:KK is available as a Demo...

3. Future: A smart guy/girl, finding a Live Demo or Arcade demo with editable shaders... that could make a slax beeing bootable by shader-patch. Linux mabe could be on the same Disc as the exploit demo or be installed by network.
With *nix running on x360 (but any Kernel, since demo disk was actually blacklisted) and the right linux-software a fw patch should be able on x360 itself, without the need for opening the box. tongue.gif

3 Fact: So we REALY could have a softmod...after finding the right Game - but if im wrong maybe the shader-hack itself for KK got blacklisted....nah grr.gif

Edited by snyder80, 07 December 2007 - 04:37 PM.

#8 miltont

miltont

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:51 PM

Yes with Star Wars Clone Wars Movie DVD Original
I used 360Toolbox 4.5 the one from Maximus
I tried and tried and retried to make the backup of original Firmware
but i got the error message that cant read.
I can take video of what im doing and post it also i have Print screens
when i try to read the firmware

QUOTE(snyder80 @ Dec 7 2007, 11:55 AM) View Post

Hi miltont!

So u tried to read the firmware with a Movie disc in there?? And what version of firmwaretoolbox did u try it??

Slightly OT,but lets face the facts and dream about future:
1. Fact: Live Demos/Arcade Demos are already playable from a burned CD/DVD WITHOUT the need of any firmware-flashing... on any Kernel (even the latest fall 07 !?) and stock x360

2. Fact: Also PJ:KK is available as a Demo...

3. Future: A smart guy/girl, finding a Live Demo or Arcade demo with editable shaders... that could make a slax beeing bootable by shader-patch. Linux mabe could be on the same Disc as the exploit demo or be installed by network.
With *nix running on x360 (but any Kernel, since demo disk was actually blacklisted) and the right linux-software a fw patch should be able on x360 itself, without the need for opening the box. tongue.gif

3 Fact: So we REALY could have a softmod...after finding the right Game - but if im wrong maybe the shader-hack itself for KK got blacklisted....nah grr.gif

#9 snyder80

snyder80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

@Miltont:

Well, atm there is NO WAY to read/flash a 79er with fwtb 4.5, because the adress where the drive-key has been stored did got changed in 79er.
BUT a new version could be able to access the firmware and read from the new Drive-Key sections after using slax 2.1.

And sadly i couldīnt find more information wether there REALY is a difference in Mode B and Recovery mode.

At least we need to wait for a new FWTB version...or need a path for the firmwarepatcher released by Hitachi...

#10 BiruZ

BiruZ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:19 PM

hi guys, i got a 79FL too that came with my xbox halo edition. after i put it in mode B using slax, i got to windows and it displays Unknown Device in device manager sad.gif am i missing something? sad.gif

thnx smile.gif

#11 snyder80

snyder80

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(BiruZ @ Dec 8 2007, 12:55 PM) View Post

hi guys, i got a 79FL too that came with my xbox halo edition. after i put it in mode B using slax, i got to windows and it displays Unknown Device in device manager sad.gif am i missing something? sad.gif

thnx smile.gif

Yes, the installation of a passkey or the invention of an upcoming version of Firmwaretoolbox/modified Hitachi firmware-flasher to read/write at the right adress...

FOR NOW THER IS NO FLASHING POSSIBLE WITHOUT SOLDERING

And to correct my thoughts about fact n future:
There is now KK demo on Live... sadly. And i got told there is no demo/arcade game known not having editable shaders out there... huh.gif

Edited by snyder80, 08 December 2007 - 01:35 PM.

#12 BiruZ

BiruZ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

i got the 79passkey. i just can't solder it sleep.gif the wires are too close to each other sad.gif i think i'm gonna buy a new one, the maximus with flex ribbon.

#13 viperone

viperone

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(rowandacres @ Dec 4 2007, 06:26 PM) View Post

Good Luck

That video is for the 78fk and not a 79fl, am i missing something here, or is it the same for both? thanks

#14 staple123

staple123

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

when FWtoolbox 4.5 was released it allowed in-circuit flashing of the 78 chip, but NOT the 79FL/FK chips..they have a physically locked bit in their firmware registry that disables the ability to put the drive in ModeB.

This is the same thing done in satellite TV boxes to protect their firmware..but that was easy to get around using an external VID modification that blasts the chip with higher 12DC voltage to unlock that bit/register...these bits stay locked at 5 volts typically and unlock when its raised...but this is a more complicated issue with the Hitachi 79 drives.

thus Maximus invented the 79Passkey that acts as bridge to skip over that locked security bit and allow FWtoolBox to read/flash the 79FL/Fk's just like a regular "unlocked" 78 drive...it performs the same function as the VID mod. described above.

but these 79PASSKEYS are very poorly designed IMHO especially the ribbon cable option..the clearance of the bridge was NOT well thougth out by Maximus...most of the people who have bought them have damaged their DVD trying to install them because the bridge wont seat properly or flat on the board and it damages surrounded IC's..its EXTREMELY difficult surface mounted soldering in a poorly designed and too tight a package...not easy even for experts to install...

so the 79PASSKEY is an expensive and impractical option in every sense of the word..plus its going to eventually fail because its so poorly seated on the mother board to begin with..that eventually I can see several of its tiny solder leads losing electrical conductivty in these very hot 360 consoles...and if that happens it will corrupt the firmware and eventualy brick the Hitach Drive...possibly making it impossible to re-flahsed again...

trust me guys you do NOT want that thing installed in your Hitachi 79FL/FK mother board...its not a smart idea.

what is the smarter way to flash a 79FL/FK?

send it out to an expert who removes the hitachi 79Fl/FK DVD chip and externally dumps to obtain your 79FL key and then re-flashes it with latest hacked ixterem v1.4 firmware...using an eeprom programmer like the Willem.

this is one of the "official" experts that repairs bricked Hitachi/Samsung drives and dumps the 79FL keys externally and re-solders back onto the motheboard..I think he charges $40 for the whole service., plus $10 shipping and qith extremely fast turn around.

why is this better than 79 Passkey?

safer and costs about the same anyway as that Passkey nonsense.

because once he dumps the 79FL/FK and reinstalls the orginal chip flashed with 78 firmware..thus your 79FL is now a hardcoded 78 drive....and the 78 drives are fully recognized by FWtoolbox4.5 under Windows XP and will allow this former 79 drive to be flashed in modeB easily just like anyother 78 drive.

just NEVER NEVER NEVER flashback the original 79FL/FK firmware bacause it has that security BIT still hardcoded and locked in its firmware and you will have to remove the Hitachi chip all over again or dump it with 79Passkey all over again if you want to play backups.

the ixtereme software v1.4 should still enable modeB moving forward in these 79 drives flashed backwards into 78 drives.....using either that Slax2.1 CD or just startup the Hitachi with the TRAY already pulled out and fully open.

I suggets this guy he does fast and great work and is recommended by Maximus and in fact advertises in that banner that loads when you startup his FWtoolBox v4..5:

Aim: Grim1873
Email/MSN:dagrimreaper187@yahoo.com

its much better to send out the 79FL's and get them externally dumped and reflashed with 78 ixtreme v1.4 firmware...you will regret that 79passkey if you buy it...its more trouble than its worth..plus its very unreliable from all the reports I have read...too inconsistant...and eventually it might evenl unseat itself and brick the Hitachi or serioulsy corrupts its firmware...I can see that easily happening.

p.s.
my 79FL drive key was at location: 4E10 and my chip was removed, dumped and reflashed externally and then solder back onto the Hitachi board...cleaner and now its just like any other 78 drive...I can re-flash in windows any time I want since its NO LONGER permantly locked...

p.s.s.
the 79Fl/FK chip is also been encased in hard epoxy by MS...so that has to be phsically melted off with a micro torchh before you can install the 79Passkey..that's another very delicate process and if done wrong can fry your Hiatchi chip...

Edited by staple123, 11 December 2007 - 02:14 AM.

#15 gabe681

gabe681

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

I would also like to add that grim does great work and fast! I have sent him a several flash chips for 79 drives and he does great work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users