PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:12 AM

Samsung's BD-P1400 Blu-ray player sinks below 300usd
Posted by XanTium | 9-12-2007 0:12 EST

From engadget.com:

With prices on HD DVD players in a perpetual state of free fall, it was only a matter of time before the slashings bled over to the other camp. Sure enough, Samsung's fairly well spec'd BD-P1400 -- which was announced at $549 and sold at $499 in late August -- has sunk to $298.76 at Amazon.com.
And hey, if you need extra incentive, there's always the five free flicks that come along with it.

Full Story: engadget.com

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:16 AM

not bad... though it's still no where near as good as the $200 + 10 free movie deal you can get with the HD-A3 through Best Buy.

I'm curious what next gen video player prices would be like if there was no format war

on the one hand the competition is driving the companies to out price each other... on the other hand with a single format there would undoubtedly be more overall support which would boost demand and lower costs.

personally I just want the war to be over so I can buy a player... sad.gif

#3 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Dec 9 2007, 02:52 AM) View Post

on the one hand the competition is driving the companies to out price each other... on the other hand with a single format there would undoubtedly be more overall support which would boost demand and lower costs.

A lot of people claim that the format war is helping to drive down prices faster, but I don't buy it myself. Right now we have companies that make HD-DVD players, BR players, and one or two that do both. If there was only one format, all these same companies would be making players for that one format. Plus, you may even have a few more companies start making players who are right now sitting on the sidelines not producing any HD players because they are waiting on the format war to sort itself out.

Then you have the issue of content. In general HD-DVD players are cheaper than BR players, but if someone is a big fan of Disney movies (or any other BR exclusive) they may then opt for a more expensive BR player. So that, to an extent, reduces some of the pressure on pricing. Some people may simply be willing to bite the bullet on higher priced players up front to get the movies they want. Plus, as you suggest, there are people like you that want to get an HD player, but prefer to wait till one side wins. So, yes, I agree that more people would be buying both players and HD movies if there was only one format.

If there was only one format the issue of content goes out the window, more people are buying, you have more players for that one format on the market, and those players are forced to compete directly on price and features. So I contend that this format war actually hurts player prices. As fast as they have been falling recently, I think they would have fallen just as fast or faster with only one format and you wouldn't wind up with a bunch of bitter early adopters that chose the losing side up front. This really should have been sorted ahead of time.

Edited by Thraxen, 09 December 2007 - 11:37 AM.

#4 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

The biggest problem with low price stuff is it will be sub par reliability and performance wise.
Funai are to hit the BR market with a 99 offering but their current Home Entertainment stuff is absolute garbage. people buy it because of the price then moan when it spends more time being repaired than in their home. Picture and sound quality are first to suffer as well.
Toshiba are not the firm they were either and have compromised what was an outstanding brand with good design, in order to use cheap manufactured internals. It may pay off (who knows), but I don't think Hi Def appeals to the cheap market brigade yet. The price of films would need to drop to the price of DVD films. people who buy something cheap generally don't want to pay top money for the media it plays either.

Edited by Chancer, 09 December 2007 - 12:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users