• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Teffen

Teffen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:48 AM

Sorry if this has been posted, but I cannot resolve this issue.
I currently have a 1.4 Xbox with the Softmod Installer Deluxe installed. I wanted to replace the hard drive, so I used a 80gb hard drive I found that is known to be compatible. After running the Xbox hard drive manager, I went to the locking part. I selected lockhd -a, It then locked and I removed it from the computer. Once I started the Xbox, I got a Error 6.
I used the eeprom.bin to lock it, so i'm not sure what the problem is.
Another note of information, I used Configmagic to get the eeprom.bin.
Does anyone know how to fix the issue?

Thanks in advanced for the help, Teffen

#2 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

Hi,

error 6 means that the harddisk was locked with the wrong password. You probably took the eeprom.bin file from your harddisk which is your virtual eeprom.

xman954 wrote a small program to read the xbox eeprom. Make sure you disable the virtual eeprom before you use it.

I don't know under what name and folder Configmagic saves the eeprom.
The eeprom.bin in the shadowc folder is the virtual eeprom file.

If you need to rename your eeprom.bin file, make sure you rename it correctly. (no capital letters) xboxhdm won't find the file if there are capital letters in it.

You can use the Liveinfo program to check the contents of an eeprom.bin file.

Make sure you unlock the disk before you try to lock it again with the correct eeprom.bin file. If your xbox gives you an error 5, you know that the harddisk is unlocked.

regards.

#3 Teffen

Teffen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:21 PM

Thanks for the info, but just how would one go about disabling the virtual eeprom? Also, I know to check the usual places for things, but what is xman954's program called.

I appreciate your help on this.

#4 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:57 PM

The xman954 program is not on the usual places. It is on a file sharing server. I know he brought it up a couple of times already in this forum. It is written completely in assembler, and without the use of microsoft copyrighted material. So, there is no problem to distribute it. I googled for "xman954 +files". Item 6 refers to esnips....

You need to place a file EEPROM_off.bin in the E partition or the E:\NKP11 partition. It can be a simple text file with a couple of bytes in it. If you are using the Nkpatcher 11, you should place it under E:\NKP11. Previous versions of the nkpatcher look in the root of the E partition.

regards.

#5 kingroach

kingroach

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:44 AM

this is teh link to latest version:

http://www.esnips.co...NKPatcher11_U04

#6 Teffen

Teffen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:00 AM

Well I managed to get it to lock properly with your advice. I appreciate the help, thanks for your time.
One more question I had was capacity. I've read numerous times that the Xbox will only read 132 gigabytes, yet I see people putting 200 gigabyte drives in their Xbox. Is this a waste of space or am I missing something?

#7 xman954

xman954

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:14 AM

xman954 wrote a small program to read the xbox eeprom. Make sure you disable the virtual eeprom before you use it.
no need to disable as it reads directly from the eeprom (I2C bus)

you can use up to a 350GIG HDD without any extra work (F and G)

#8 Teffen

Teffen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:06 AM

Well I did a bit of playing with XBpartitioner, I managed to make a 240 partition, will I have issues if I try to use all of that space? Will it cap off at a certain limit? Or will it let use the full amount of space.
I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just want to be sure that everything runs smoothly.

#9 Teffen

Teffen

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

Reading further into the issue, I've read that you need some sort of lba48 patch. Does the Soft Mod Installer Deluxe have this built in? And if not, can I do this patch without a modchip?
Thanks in advanced, Teffen.

#10 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

the softmod patches the bios in a way that it uses the LBA48 harddisk adressing method. With LBA32, you have a limit of 137GB on your harddisk.

the second limit comes from the number of entries in the fatx allocation table. The normal xbox formatting scheme uses a 16Kb cluster size. With that cluster size, A partition on the disk should not exceed 256GB in size. If you want to use a bigger partition, you can use the xbpartitionner program and format a partition with a 32Kb cluster size. The xbhdm package limits the F partition to 137Gb. You can create the G partition with the rest of your harddisk free space. If that one exceeds 256GB, you should format it with the xbpartitionner program. As you probably might guess, the maximum partition size with a 32Kb cluster size is 500Gb.

regards.

#11 mikiex

mikiex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:09 AM

Hi

I had something kind of similar, trying to upgrade to a bigger drive, my pc wont run xboxhdm "option 3" it doesnt finish booting, error is "spurious irq7"

So I got the unlock code using xboxhd option 6, it found my eeprom.bin that was generated from configmagic
(its the file it made, date stamp matches - I renamed it to eeprom.bin)

Then I used the dos tools to lock the drive, checked it was locked using atapwd, put it in the xbox, got
error 6. (double checked the code, didnt use any capitals) repeated whole process, still error 6

Unlocked the drive fine, and went back to using stock drive for now.

Now is it possible for configmagic to dump the wrong eeprom, like dump the virtual one?
Also are there any other tools for working out the lock code I need to use?

#12 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

Hi,

if you carefully read this threat, you might see that the answer of your question is already in it.
Even if configmagic is not having trouble with the virtual eeprom, it won't hurt if you turn it off before you make the dump.

I assume that you know that the eeprom hdd key and the harddisk locking password are 2 different things.

You can use the liveinfo 3 program to see the contents of your eeprom dump. It will even show the harddisk password if the harddisk is connected to your computer. Make sure you select the correct harddisk (the xbox one) as the program usually defaults to the master disk connected to the primary ide controller. This is in most of the cases your pc harddisk with your windows os. You don't want to lock that one.

regards.

#13 mikiex

mikiex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

Liveinfo 3 works ok on my laptop but fails to recognise any of the drives on my desktop.
So I can use that. Maybe its my desktop pc somehow calculating the wrong unlock code.

After disabling the virtual eeprom(not sure I even had one) I did a dump again and compared the old eeprom.bin I had used, but they looked the same

I do understand the difference between the HDD key and the password. I have always been using the passwords to lock the drive

is the password calculated from the HDD serial and the Xbox HD key ? or?

#14 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

the hdd password is calculated from 3 different parameters.

1. The eeprom hddkey
2. The hdd model number.
3. The hdd serial number.

Item 1 differs for every xbox. Item 2 and 3 differ between disks.

The LiveInfo program needs the harddisk connected to pick up parameter 2 and 3 of it.

You might try it on another pc. The older ones (PIII style and older) with 2 ide controllers usually work best.

If Liveinfo is having trouble to find your harddisk, there is a big change that xboxhdm is also having trouble with it.

I assume you checked the harddisk jumper settings. The xbox harddisk usually is set to Cable Select.
Xboxhdm expects it to be set as master.

Most trouble come from incompatible pc motherboards or pc motherboards biosses.

regards.

#15 mikiex

mikiex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

Thanks obcd

I tried master and cable select, I think maybe its the motherboard, I will try with another pc.
It would be nice if live info had the option to manually enter the HDD information, I see it allows
you to edit the rom information and recalculate the key, but not the HDD.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users