PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:48 AM

PS3 one ups Xbox 360 with its DivX support
Posted by XanTium | 14-12-2007 0:48 EST

From tech.blorge.com:

First of all, unlike the Xbox 360, the PS3 is DivX certified. While the Microsoft's console can only playback some DivX files, the PS3 will get full DivX functionality. This includes the ability for game developers to use the very efficient compression format for in-game cut-scenes.

This means DivX video cut scenes will reduce stress on the machine, theoretically allowing for better load times, less power consumption, and less heat output.

Full Story: tech.blorge.com

#2 RBJTech

RBJTech

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

blink.gif - so they promote Blu-Ray with it's huge storage of uncompressed video / sound on one hand, then try and outdo MS on the other saying they can use DivX to compress cut scene movies ... which is it ... ?

Anyway - everyone knows that both the HD-WMV and H.264 are superior to DivX for HD content - so again, why would developers want to use an old DivX codec ... ?

#3 fiya

fiya

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

they cant possibly one up the 360 unless they have MKV support, until then i dont care.

Edited by fiya, 14 December 2007 - 12:09 PM.

#4 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

Again an article that proves Blu-Ray is not needed for games....getting my PS3 at Xmas..can't believe games are going to be using Divx for cut-scenes instead of MPEG2 uncompressed....

#5 anonim1979

anonim1979

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:12 PM

Doesn't only old 3.11 DivX don't work on X360?
The ones based on hacked MPEG4-2 asf libraries?

#6 the_nerdy

the_nerdy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Just so you all know, you dont understand divix, their is a new H format of it or whatever which provides Divx to be coded in HD with lossless quality.

The only thing I don't understand is, the PS3 is supposed to be a powerhouse. So, why does this matter to save on resources?

But, as long as no quality is lost, imagine all the extra space on the discs our games can have smile.gif.

See, the X360 is doing fine now, but the ps3 is designed to be in the next gen console list still. So when the X360 falls behind, games will be developed for the PS3, of course, Microsoft by then will release another console I'm sure.

#7 toytown

toytown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:35 PM

Just so you all know, you dont understand divix, their is a new H format of it or whatever which provides Divx to be coded in HD with lossless quality.

The new DIVX format is just using H264/AVC, they purchased mainconcept for it, rather than try to develop there own codec. Its nothing new at all, NeroRecod/x264/Mainconcept/Ateme etc etc etc have all been able to code in this format for sometime (i.e. years)

Lossless quality is available via H264/AVC and has been for some time, the problem is that its only usefull if your starting with an uncompressed source. If you took a DVD rip of 4GB and encoded it using lossless compression then the final file would end up over 20GB and sometimes a lot lot more. Like i said its only usefull if you have the source material and your trying to keep it lossless.......for consumers its practically useless as almost every video you get on your computer will be lossy to begin with, the only exception i can think of right now is when taking video from a game in lossless format.

#8 spinr34

spinr34

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

LOL, this makes me laugh. i forgot that most ps3 games have lame fmv for 90% of the game. it was cool on the ps1 and other consoles during that geneartion. just give me gameplay. also, this isn't "1 upping" the 360. all that matters is that everything i've thrown at the 360 has worked. i was kinda hoping the ps3 would get divx/xvid support first so then i would have a use for it. but that didn't happen. so, i might put my ps3 in the box and actually sell it. also the only benefit of using divx in game is loading time. but i don't know the size of in game videos now, so i don't really know how much it'll help.

#9 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:47 PM

See, the X360 is doing fine now, but the ps3 is designed to be in the next gen console list still. So when the X360 falls behind, games will be developed for the PS3, of course, Microsoft by then will release another console I'm sure.

Then the PS3 will become last gen laugh.gif laugh.gif gotta love the noobs..

#10 Apidya

Apidya

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

My Ps3's solely used atm as a dvd player. Until $ony pull their finger out & get with the times thats all it's good for.

It's suppose to be a cuttin edge console & yet all they can do is add an out of date 8 year old divx codec. Rubbish... wake me up when I can stream MKV

#11 lmaolmao

lmaolmao

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(RBJTech @ Dec 14 2007, 07:24 AM) View Post

Anyway - everyone knows that both the HD-WMV and H.264 are superior to DivX for HD content - so again, why would developers want to use an old DivX codec ... ?

yea, me and my nan we're arguing over what the optimal value for maximum consecutive b frames was just this afternoon!

its not a dig at you, your comment tickled me.

#12 the_nerdy

the_nerdy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE(bucko @ Dec 14 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post

Then the PS3 will become last gen laugh.gif laugh.gif gotta love the noobs..

Dude, you got to remmeber, The ps3 ahs a blueray drive built in, cell processing, It was way way more powerfull then the Xbox360. The only problem is, it is not cost effiecent at all. Most of the games for the PS3 are on the X360. So why not just get the X360 for now? The PS3 is basicly designed for the next generation of consoles. And Sony thought by doing this (and the price) would couse developers to develope for the PS3 since it has all this extra power with basicly no limitations, The only problem is, no none wanted to develope for it since many PS3's were not out on the market. And everyone had a X360 allready and people know that when the X360 was in millions of homes by then, it made more since....

Hope you can finally understand, noob.

#13 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(spinr34 @ Dec 14 2007, 12:39 PM) View Post

LOL, this makes me laugh. i forgot that most ps3 games have lame fmv for 90% of the game.

Say what? That's not even remotely true.

Anyway, WTF guys? This article is just saying that the PS3's implementation gives devs more options. It's not saying that it's replacing everything else.

#14 kidkinetix

kidkinetix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(Thraxen @ Dec 15 2007, 03:14 AM) View Post

Say what? That's not even remotely true.

Anyway, WTF guys? This article is just saying that the PS3's implementation gives devs more options. It's not saying that it's replacing everything else.

I agree, this is positive news, no need to take cheap shots at the PS3 or the Blu-Ray drive. To me the Blu-Ray for games argument was desperate at the best of times, but i don't think this announcement is enough fuel to re-kindle that already monstrously debated fire.

#15 FCTE

FCTE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

The PS3 doesn't have to worry about stress and heat, it's built well unlike the 360.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users