PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:19 AM

Blu-ray once again rocks the niche market
Posted by XanTium | 17-12-2007 0:19 EST

From ps3fanboy.com:

Normally when we cover a story about Blu-ray, it comes with the whole "oh, it's outselling HD DVD 2:1" smack talk. However, we can't actually say that for the week ending December 9th. Instead, we can say "oh, it's outselling HD DVD 3:1" and crack a sly grin. How did Blu-ray wipe the floor with their high-definition competitor? It was the third Pirates of the Caribbean film -- Superbad helped out, too.

Full Story: ps3fanboy.com

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

Does anyone know what the overall stats are this point for media sold between the two formats?

I've seen hardware numbers... which are difficult to read because of how much blu-ray is attached to PS3 sales. I don't think I've seen overall disc media sales though.

#3 sabbath_dude

sabbath_dude

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Rock music, Beer
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:14 AM

This is for hardware sales right?, it's not very clear from the article. If its hardware sales does that include the PS3?. If so then its not very accurate/fair to compare standalone HD-DVD players with a games console that happens to double as a Blu-ray player. Especially not at this time of year when PS3 sales will naturally be at their highest too.

I still plan to buy an HD-DVD player in the new year sales though. The media and players seem much cheaper and look just as good to me.

#4 kidkinetix

kidkinetix

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Dec 18 2007, 01:50 AM) View Post

I still plan to buy an HD-DVD player in the new year sales though. The media and players seem much cheaper and look just as good to me.

Amazon.com has a sale on for tomorrow only (tue dec 18) for the HD-DVD add-on for 360, it comes with the entire Bourne Trilogy. Not too bad of an offer.

I thought the article is referring to Disk Sales but I have nothing to back that up.

#5 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:11 PM

This bullshit about the PS3 not being a standalone player needs to stop.
Whenever hardware figures are quoted (I don't even know if these are hardware) people pop up and say the PS3 is not a standalone player.
The PS3 is a standalone player (Look it up, Look Up the definition). What is so difficult to accept? that people who wanted to buy a Blu Ray player bough the PS3 because it was the cheapest way in to Blu-Ray.
I mean nobody bought it for games did they? We all keep getting told how there are no games for the PS3!
Yet people choose to class the HD-DVD add on as standalone, which it is certainly not.
I know this is XS but really, people seem afraid to accept figures or any comment that shows Blu-Ray doing anything positive.
wait till Q1 2008. The Funai player is out at 99. No way either camp is going to sit and let the other sell cheap hardware without countering it.
/RANT

Edited by Chancer, 18 December 2007 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users