13 replies to this topic

#1 MaSSkY

MaSSkY

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 02:55 PM

Good day to you all!

Im about to change hte hdd on my xbox for a bigger one, but i fear that it might be one of the biggest mistakes ever, since all the information seems to contradict eachother. I feel i have to do as much research as possible, so here goes my question:

I have the Enigmah Mod Chip, so do i have to FLASH the BIOS in order to swap the hdd? i read somewhere that the enigmah doesnt support hdd swapping sad.gif

Also, once the BIOS is flashed (cuttin the cables 15 & 21 and all that), will i need the chip for further usage of the xbox??? WHY not just make a dvd that can be read on the xbox, flash the bios htere, and never worry about a chip???

Ive surfed throughout the net looking for tutorials and one or two mentioned the BIOS flashing thing, others just didnt. So what if i were to swap the hdd without hte BIOS flashing?

The sea of ignorance is just getting deeper here, i wont, of course, move a finger until u say so =)

Thanx A LOT!
MaSSkY

#2 flashbak

flashbak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 03:51 PM

Here ya go:
a) Yes, you have to flash the bios in order to use a larger HD.
cool.gif Once you've successfully flashed the bios you have the option to remove the mod from the system since you no longer need it. However, some folks have opted to just disable the chip (cut wires 15 & 21) rather then risk any damage during the removal process. It up to you.

#3 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 24 September 2002 - 04:26 PM

Hey, i have the enigmah mod too and i was also going to flash the bios and do the whole cutting the wires thing untill i came up with a better safer way........i grabbed a crossover cable, and hooked my xbox up to my comp.............i store all my games on ym comps harddrive and when ever i get board with the 6 or 7 games i have on the origanel xbox hard drive i just upload new ones from my comp hard drive.........never need to cut a thing.

#4 MaSSkY

MaSSkY

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 09:28 PM

yes socrates, but the thing with the new hdd is to be able to go to blockbuster or whatever and rent a dvd original game, rip it to the xbox new hdd and return it the next day biggrin.gif

I believe i would opt for flashing the BIOS

1.- what i dont see is the difference between an ST Chip and the Hyundai/Hynix Chip.

2.- to disable the enigmah chip i just cut wires 15 and 21?

3.- can the flashing be undertaken solering the 2 pairs of squares on the mainboard, cutting cables 15 and 21 of the enigmah and copying the bios.bin file to c:\roms? What i cant do is put switches inside my xbox, thats all smile.gif i believe that after all this, wont it be important to reconnect the wires?

thank you,..

MaSSkY

#5 flashbak

flashbak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 10:43 PM

As I've stated previously, that's what you have to do. Once you've flashed the Bios (jumpers bridged on top and bottom of XBox motherboard) you do not need to keep the Enighmah chip in the system. Their our two different bioses used in the XBox either the ST or the Hundai. You need to use the appropriate program based on which TSOP is in your system. Yes, that is the procedure to use. Follow the doc on http://www.xbox-scen...m/tutorials.php (Flashing the XBox's TSOP by SniperKilla). You then have the option to move up to a larger HD (only possible if you flash the bios). You can then install a program called XBCopy onto your HD. This will allow you to copy your rented games to your HD and run them from there. You can then return your games to BB whenever you like! tongue.gif

#6 MaSSkY

MaSSkY

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 12:40 AM

OK ic now.... there are 2 different ways to flash the BIOS which are determined by the type of chip above the 40 pin rectangular area on the top of the mainboard: the ST chip and the Hyundai/Hynix Chip. I can see the difference just by reading the inscriptions on them.

If the above is correct, good, if not, plz correct it flamethrower.gif

I read the sniperkilla's tut, understood most of it wink.gif. Ok after im done with the flashing, should I put the switches "ON", as the mod chip would be withouth the switches?uhh.gif

Just another question, can the switches be turned on or off while the xbox is on?

THIS forum ROCKS!!!.....i can now answer a lot of questions on dalnet pop.gif

ty yall!!

#7 flashbak

flashbak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 12:49 AM

Thats correct. However, if you have the Hyundia chip you need to use a different program than the evo-x flash utility. Once the bios has been successfully flashed the modchip can remain disabled. Meaning pins 15 and 21 don't have to be hooked up again or you can remove the modchip, your choice.

#8 rzyzzy

rzyzzy

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 25 September 2002 - 05:24 AM

Actually, you can flash hynix/hundai chips with the new evo x dashboard... xflash is no longer needed...

#9 flashbak

flashbak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 11:33 AM

rzyzzy,
Your right! The new version (1.8 2594) does indeed support both the ST and Hyundia chips. So Evo-X will handle his flash task.

#10 socrates

socrates

X-S Knowledgebase

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 25 September 2002 - 04:21 PM

Accutauly guy your wrong, you can still rip the game from BB onto your xbox hard drive without flashing the bios.......do it the safe way guy, i just pop the dvd into the xbox and load up flashfxp from the pc, then i just rip the info from the dvd drive of the xbox onto my comp and then .......well you get the gist of it now im sure.

#11 MaSSkY

MaSSkY

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 11:00 PM

ohmy.gif OMG dude ur right! But consider this: a DVD rip is about 3 giga, now with a HUB-Xbox connection u get around 1 mega per second, so it'll take about 50 mins (more depending on the number of files, cuz the ftp client has to do a bunch of commands to STORE) so about 1 hour 30 mins

ok, now there can only be 2 dvd exports in the original hdd, and a bit more if they are rips, so if im with a bunch of friends, and get tired of 1 game, i would prefer more than 4 options wink.gif

i dont know man, theres like this little voice inside me that tells me i gotta play safe here, and stop doing shit with the xbox. BUT on the other hand, i feel the need 4 space wink.gif and fun.

THIS is why i ask suck annoying questions about every detail....i dont really know what to do wacko.gif

THE MORE I RESEARCH, THE LESS SURPRISES I GET, BETTER THE CHANCES I GET. It has crossed my mind that I TAKE TOO MANY UNECESARY RISKS!!! And perhaps this is one of 'em.

Theres too much temptation... muhaha.gif

So, now i will flash it, with a friend, solder the 2 pairs of squared dots on the mother board to enable TSOP writing. Cut wires15 and 21 and switch em. Boot the xbox, with the swithes "on", into evo dashboard 12.8.2594, select Flash BIOS under system settings, turn them "off", and then ftp to my xbox the following command: laugh.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

#12 flashbak

flashbak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 11:05 PM

socrates,
He was talking about installing a larger HD. He didn't ask if he could copy to the stock drive.

#13 MaSSkY

MaSSkY

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 02:24 AM

socrates is right....does someone know how to "RIP" an xbox DVD game?
i mean, from a DVD to a CdRW, by compressing the video, sfx and music... unsure.gif im gonna wait a while to do the flashing thing, gonna buy the HDD 1st hehe..

#14 MaSSkY

MaSSkY

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 02:26 AM

for now im just gonna be on the constant replacement of games in the xbox hdd, when i get the hdd and the bios, ill do the other big boy stuff cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users