Jump to content


Photo

PlayStation 3 DivX Playback Tested


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PS3Scene

PS3Scene

    X-S Freak

  • Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:08 AM

PlayStation 3 DivX Playback Tested
Posted by XanTium | 18-12-2007 23:08 EST

 
From gizmodo.com:


* DivX and WMV play back fine. Just as they claimed, the PS3 now can play back DivX files and WMV files. No problemo.
Some readers are reporting that XviD support works. Others have written us saying that some files work, others don't.
Update: We've found that XviD playback does work, but only on burned DVDs and external hard drives.

* Streaming only works off of Windows Media Player 11 shares, not Windows Media Connect or SMB (regular Windows folder sharing). This one could be a biggie. The PlayStation 3 doesn't actually support SMB network shares, which is the default Windows folder sharing network protocol that both Linux and OS X understand. This means you're going to have to install Windows Media Player 11 (or something similar, like Orb) in order to stream video from your home computer. Windows Media Connect, which sits on our Windows Home Server that housed most of our video files, didn't work. WMP11 did.

* The quality is pretty good. When we got the network streaming to work and found a compatible DivX file out of all our XviDs, playback was smooth and (for the most part) artifact free.

* Video dimensions stretch well. The PS3 knows exactly what aspect ratio your files are and stretches them to fit your screen without distortion. The 360 couldn't quite handle that without a little coaxing.


Full Story: gizmodo.com






#2 anttimonty

anttimonty

    X-S Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:29 AM

Why is this front page news? As the Xvid problems reported are isolated to WMP11 streaming. Xvid streaming works fine with TVersity and Nero Mediahome. At least the facts should be fixed.

#3 n99wby

n99wby

    X-S Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

all of my 100's of divx and Xvid work fine.

#4 fiya

fiya

    X-S Member

  • XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE
* Video dimensions stretch well. The PS3 knows exactly what aspect ratio your files are and stretches them to fit your screen without distortion. The 360 couldn't quite handle that without a little coaxing.


its weird. I have tons of divx/xvid files and i never had this problem with the 360.

QUOTE
If you're looking for a machine to replace that aging Xbox Media Center (XBMC), the 360 is the current winner.


beerchug.gif quite so

#5 Jimz360

Jimz360

    X-S Young Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Location:London England
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:14 AM

Iv tested a load of my xvid files and about 70% of them work, the other 30% that dont work have been according to g-spot encoded with XVID ISO MPEG4, so not a 100% of xvid work




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users