• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:13 AM

I've got a 1.2-1.3 xbox. White DuoX 2 GS.

Firstly, I got the modchip because the HD in the current xbox was dying and decided it would be the easiest alternative. After the modchip was put in, I switched the old HD with a newer one. When I turned it on I got an error 16. Having no idea what that error was, or why I got it, I tried turning it off and turning it back on again. Same thing. Thinking the other HD was broken (Yes, the doashboard is installed on the harddrive, I know that now.) I switched back to the old one, and then it only gave the flashing red ring. No sound or video. I switched back to the other HD and it's still doing the same thing.

What went wrong, I have no idea, but if anyone has any ideas please feel free to share them.

#2 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

The first drive is shot.
The replacement has corrupt clock.xip files which are part of the dash
Format the drive and re-install all the files from Slayers 2.7 or similar auto installer.
This is not a chip specific fault so moving

#3 fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:18 PM

The old HD wasn't quite dead yet. Just dying. I unhooked the modchip and plugged the old HD in and shockingly enough. It worked again. Hooked the modchip back up again. What seems to be happening is when I press the power button to turn the system on, the system works. When I hit the eject button to turn it on the led on the modchip turns on and no video or audio. Just red rings of death.

Edited by fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg, 24 December 2007 - 11:19 PM.

#4 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

You are installing the chip wrong. The LED should only light on the chip when you use the power button to boot (This enables the Chip) Booting with eject disables the chip and the RED LED is off.
Does the ring flash Red and Green or what?

#5 fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:39 AM

Yes, it flashes red and green.

#6 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:58 PM

Check your install work fully because the chip should only enable on pushing the power button.
The soldering to the LPC is suspect and also your BT connection point could be wrong

#7 fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

I opened it up and checked it, and my dad, and my brother. It looks like it's hooked up correctly. Everything is in the right place. How can I check and make sure all the solder points are working?

edit: OK it enables (tries to turn on and doesn't) when we push power button, and bypasses the chip (and boots the xbox) on eject. I was wrong.

Edited by fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg, 26 December 2007 - 07:54 PM.

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

Reflow the connections to the LPC. Your D0 point is fine and so is BT with what you describe now.
As this is a white chip? you haven't attempted any kind of flash yet at all I assume? A bad flash will cause the box to FRAG as will bad solder joints to the LPC

#9 rayofash

rayofash

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Here's the situation as we see it now:

Our HDD was dieing, so we got a modchip and a replacement HDD. We put the modchip in (both solders are correct, 1 to d0, and one to BT).

With the original HDD: When we push the power button (to turn on the XBox with the modchip), it would flash green twice, and a sound would come out of the TV like somebody blowing into a microphone each time it flashed. Then it would red-ring (flash red and green) and the HDD would start grinding. This continues untill we turn it off. We tried bank 0 and bank 1 on the modchip, both produce the same results.

When we push the eject button, everything boots up normaly... As normal as it could be with a dieing HDD anyways (it doesn't go to the BIOS).

With the new HDD: So far all I know is it doesn't have a dashboard, so when we boot up with the eject button it gives us an Error 16. I wasn't around when we tried the power button so I don't know if it makes the sounds from the TV and a grinding noise from the HDD.

Edit: Yes it's a white chip. We don't know what an LPC is and there's nothing about it on the diagram. The chip is just something we put into a plug near d0. We haven't flashed anything yet, we didn't know if we were supposed to because the chip already has 2 BIOS' on it.

Edited by rayofash, 26 December 2007 - 08:34 PM.

#10 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:32 PM

The LPC is the place you solder the pin header that the chip plugs onto.
The soldering should like this
IPB Image
My install guide is for the blue but the physical fitting is the same
http://www.fixnchipz.co.uk/page3.html

#11 rayofash

rayofash

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Dec 26 2007, 09:08 PM) View Post

The LPC is the place you solder the pin header that the chip plugs onto.
The soldering should like this
IPB Image
My install guide is for the blue but the physical fitting is the same
http://www.fixnchipz.co.uk/page3.html

Okay, the LPC is correct, several pins that aren't needed were left in this thing but it isn't actually soldered into the board with this thing so there isn't a connection. I don't know if that would break it or not.

Edited by rayofash, 26 December 2007 - 09:00 PM.

#12 fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

fdsgdsfgsfdgdsfgsdfg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:57 PM

UPDATE: my dad is the one who installed the modchip, he's done electronics repair and is very experienced. When we looked at the diagram to see if it was something he did wrong, he left the pin between A and B in. He says it's not doing anything because it's not making a connection. Could this be the problem, or is it a cold joint?

#13 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

Did you install the chip?
If so you will have had to solder on the female pin header to the chip. You should also have had to solder in the male pinheader to the LPC.
It sounds like you possibly have not installed these parts yourself.
The soldering of both has to be spot on, no damage round them, clean solder joints that don't look like bird shit. Is this the case? Do you have pictures of the soldering work on the LPC?

#14 rayofash

rayofash

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

Everything is correct:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#15 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:01 PM

It may be the angle of the picture but it looks to me like you have a male soldered to the chip and a male soldered to the Motherboard. Then a female header in between the 2 to join them. This will not produce a good connection you should have the female soldered to the chip which then plugs straight onto the male pins that are soldered to the LPC Having a socket in between is not correct and will not make correct connection in the top side of the socket.
If not then
The soldering looks fine to me you may need to try another chip to rule it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users