• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wizardry47

wizardry47

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:46 AM

ok so i bought a used xbox360 from a friend of mine, dirt cheap (i planned to use it as a media server anyways) and i know for a fact that he tried to mod it and screwed up the flash. it doesnt play games anymore but the rest of it works just fine as a dvd/cd/music player.

my question is if i buy a "replacement" drive from ebay, say one of the ts-h943 drives, and put it into the xbox...will it play games again or is it just a waste of 40$ to play dvd's?

#2 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:21 AM

Replacing the drive alone is not enough.

The 360 Console has a DVD key embedded into it, of which the DVD drive MUST have the exact same key. The only way known to retrieve this is to install the Infectus product and then downgrade the kernel to either 4532 or 4548, then finally follow this guide:

http://www.infectus....l-dvdkey-en.php

You can then either note the key and inject it into your new drive, or change the key to something else easier to type.

Be warned - it's not for the faint of heart and although it's do-able, it's not easy.

#3 wizardry47

wizardry47

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:44 AM

hey thanks for the reply, im certainly not all that faint of heart and for the 20$ i paid for it, might be a fun project. sorry if i posted the original thread in the wrong forum.

so basically all im doing it a hardware mod instead of just the standard firmware flash mod?

#4 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

Well no - you'll need to do both.

You'll need to either retrieve the DVD key from the console itself via the link I sent you. Once you have it/changed it, you'll need to dump the firmware from the new drive, replace the key and either just reflash or mod it while you're there - the choice at this point is up to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users