• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

Xbox 360 Gets Anti-Drink Driving Ads
Posted by XanTium | December 24 13:19 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From spong.com:

The Scottish Government is trying a new approach to warning youngsters against the perils of drink driving: inserting adverts into Xbox 360 games.

10,000 is being spent on the campaign to put adverts on in-game virtual billboards. The titles set to feature the ads include Need for Speed: Carbon, Need for Speed:ProStreet, Project Gotham Racing 4, NBA Live and Pro Evolution Soccer 2008.

Should this trial prove successful, the Scottish government tells us, the same approach could be used for other road safety messages.

Scottish Transport Minister Stewart Stevenson said, "With statistics showing that road deaths, particularly among young people, are continuing to rise, it is clear we must look at new ways of getting road safety messages across. This is exactly the kind of initiative we should be trying.

Full Story: spong.com

#2 Johnwinger

Johnwinger

X-S Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

Good

I hope it gets worse and Xbox Live gets Tampon ads and shit.

No one will listen when you tell them that ads are gay, they instead believe that the ads are necessary for Microsoft to generate money, even though PSN is free and has NO ads.

#3 unklgeorge

unklgeorge

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

I don't have a problem with in-game ads, as long as they are done properly. Racing games are a natural choice because of bill board usage, but also with sandbox games (Crackdown, Grand Theft Auto) it adds a certain level of [slightly annoying] realism. Now if I log into Halo 3 and see my warthog replaced with a Yaris....... That is another story muhaha.gif

#4 Ciaran500

Ciaran500

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Johnwinger @ Dec 24 2007, 08:38 PM) View Post
No one will listen when you tell them that ads are gay, they instead believe that the ads are necessary for Microsoft to generate money, even though PSN is free and has NO ads.

These are ads in games not on live wink.gif The money goes to publishers.

#5 hozie

hozie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:MTB, Modding and Playing Video Games.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

Johnwinger:

Are you high?

This is a positive ad, I totally would not mind someone reminding me to not drink and drive in a video game. I have no kids but if I did I would be ok with my kids getting digital billboards with some guidance.
This is not a company advertising to you so you can buy their product. You seriously need to read what the story is about before you make an out of left field comment.

#6 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

Good theres to many idiots on the road, and it gets worse this time of year (with it getting dark early an all) most of the idiots are young (I'm 20, I mean the people like 17 and put turbo n shit all over there car and screath there wheels thinking there cool), I hardly watch TV so I think this is a good idea, as long as it doesn't act like ad-aware/spyware then I'm all for it. They need this stuff in England.

#7 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

I don't mind ads.. as long as they're done properly. Obviously there are ads in everyday life, so we're use to it. Of course, on the other hand, we tend to turn to video games to escape reality. But meh, they don't bother me.

It's a good message though, drinking is bad! Especially doing it while driving! I'm sick and tired of hearing about all these idiots getting drunk, driving home, and killing a family of 4 and their 2 month old puppy.

#8 pancus

pancus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:29 PM

As someone who has been plowed by a drunk driver twice (once on a bike lol) I support the message BUT lets not even pretend for a second that these ads will have ANY EFFECT WHATSOEVER. Watch there be one less drunk-driving-related-fatality on xmas day and they will consider it a great success.

There will ALWAYS be fucking idiots and they will ALWAYS be killing other people and their entire families.

#9 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:07 PM

Watch there be one less drunk-driving-related-fatality on xmas day and they will consider it a great success.

if there is even one less then it is better than no Ads and someone losing a family member to a drunk driver. while they are it target the brainless idiots who use Mobile Phones whilst driving.

#10 amak1131

amak1131

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:33 AM

Good idea. Even if it causes 1 less person to drink and drive, it is a success. I just wish those who drive drunk could be struck by lightning.

#11 soopahfly

soopahfly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:51 AM

I'm beginning to get annoyed with in game advertising. I realise the money goes to the publishers but :Why should I pay full price for a game when they are taking advantage of me. Subsidise the game if your advertising.Why can't we have an "opt out" setting?Whilst I agree 100% with the message but games aren't the place. I'm concentrating on gaming, and nailing the corners not reading billboards.

#12 88 Ecko Unltd 88

88 Ecko Unltd 88

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:38 AM

beerchug.gif cheers all lol

#13 Chasym

Chasym

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:59 AM

it may not work but it doesnt hurt to try.
I have kids, and when they are old enough to play video games, they are not going to care much about what tv ads say, and most of the time what parents say.
So try to reach them in a medium they care about, video games.
I dont mind at all, ads for products can be annoying, but an ad with a purpose for good is welcome in my book.

#14 teknow

teknow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE(Chancer @ Dec 24 2007, 05:43 PM) View Post

if there is even one less then it is better than no Ads and someone losing a family member to a drunk driver. while they are it target the brainless idiots who use Mobile Phones whilst driving.

back up there just a sec. If 'you' have a problem using a phone while driving safely, then please don't do it. However for many (myself included) it is a staged process as simple as using the radio dial. You only do what can be done safely at separate points. i.e.: Road, Menu Key, Road, Add Book, Road, Send.
If you can't handle the process of holding up a phone to your ear and having a conversation, then you probably just shouldn't be driving.

Many people converse with passengers and drive with only one hand. The phone only made it more difficult for idiots... just clarifying here.

#15 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(teknow @ Dec 25 2007, 03:15 AM) View Post

back up there just a sec. If 'you' have a problem using a phone while driving safely, then please don't do it. However for many (myself included) it is a staged process as simple as using the radio dial. You only do what can be done safely at separate points. i.e.: Road, Menu Key, Road, Add Book, Road, Send.
If you can't handle the process of holding up a phone to your ear and having a conversation, then you probably just shouldn't be driving.

Many people converse with passengers and drive with only one hand. The phone only made it more difficult for idiots... just clarifying here.

how wrong you are.... doens tmatter how awsome of a drive you think you are, quit trying to be mr bad ass. ANY type of distraction lessens the ability for people to drive. especially cell phones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users