ddsdavey

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Please excuse my obvious lack of knowledge on this subject but im confused.If films are being made using special hi-def cameras so to produce hi-def films etc then how come i keep seeing re-releases of old films
(pre hd) that have apparently been converted to hd?What is the difference because there must be one otherwise why all the expensive hd camera equipment?
And i know youve probably replied to this loads but what is the difference between 720p,1020p etc. I know its a quality related matter but if someone could explain the differences and which i should go for to use for my 360,movies etc.
Cheers.

#2 XPxAxBxLxOX

XPxAxBxLxOX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

Read some of the pinned topic above. It'll answer alot of the questions about hd.

As for the difference for 720p and 1080p. About 360 more lines in the picture. There is not much more to that.

As for the HD cameras. I Have an Idea in mind, but Im not positive about it. That's why im not going to say anything about it.

Be patient. Someone with more knowledge than I should be along to answer you.

#3 ddsdavey

ddsdavey

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

Yeah thanks for trying mate,youve answered a few bits,i just need to know about the rest now.Anybody???

#4 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

HD cameras are not necessary for HD movies... they can help but they're not required.

older movies were made with film... film is an analog format and despite what you might thing of the differences between analog and digital, analog is better in a lot of ways.

in terms of resolution analog theoretically has infinite resolution and the quality is defined by the recording and playback equipment.

When they made a DVD they scanned the frames of the movie into a digital format with DVD quality..

when they make an HD-DVD they scan the frames of the movie intoa digital format with HD-DVD quality...

it's really that simple.

There is also some cleanup that happens with some films but film based movies can be as high in quality as HD movies if the recording equipment was good enough.

As for the difference between 720p and 1080p

pictures are made up of tiny little dots of solid color called "pixels"

720p is an array of pixels 1280 wide but 720 tall that means if you zoom WAY in you'll could count 1280 dots of color across the picture.

1080p just has more dots it's 1920 wide by 1080 tall. so that means that the dots are smaller (since they have to cram more dots in the same amount of space) and smaller dots mean that they're harder to make out at a normal seating distance and that means that the image is more detailed.

you might be wondering how I know how many dots wide the picture is when 720p and 1080p only call out how many dots tall the pictures are.

it's simple really... HDTV has an aspect ratio of 16:9 that means for every 9 pixels in the height there are 16 in the width.

hopefully that explains things for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users