• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 generalstuff

generalstuff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:46 AM

Completed my mod today, this includes, back-fan replacement, adding a GPU Fan and Modding the case, thought I will post to add some for all my taking smile.gif

First I replaced the back fan with the XBOX 360 Ultra Quiet Led Fan,

Specs are:
WHISPER FAN STANDARD FAN
DC Power: 12V (at 5v) Original Fan: 12V (at 5v)
Current: 160mA Original Fan: 250mA
Speed: 4100RPM Original Fan: 4600RPM
Air flow: 46CFM Original Fan: 29CFM
Loudness: 38d(cool.gifa Original Fan: 41d(cool.gifa

See http://www.modsandso...an/prod_80.html

In general I find the case was more silent and air flow seems better.

Second I added a GPU fan, the fan I used was an Akasa 50mm, note that a 60mm does not fit. This brought my overall GPU temp down by 5 degrees and will probably contribute to the CPU cooling as well since it will suck in more air. I wired it into the on board connector, so it will be temp controlled.

Last I cut out that piece of Iron in the back, IMO that blocks the hole by about 30% at least. From observation afterwards I would say my fan now move about 10% more air and is more silent.

Overall the case is more silent now and the air coming out the back is a cooler for sure.

If someone can tell me how to add pics I will happely attach them...

#2 fokia

fokia

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE(generalstuff @ Dec 28 2007, 12:22 AM) View Post

If someone can tell me how to add pics I will happely attach them...

You can upload them to an image hosting service (like imageshack.us)

then use the provided link to post it here...

I didn't get what you meant with GPU FAN - it could be many things...

#3 generalstuff

generalstuff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

Thanks, by GPU I mean Graphics Processing Unit, maybe the pictures will explain better.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#4 Stikken

Stikken

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:46 PM

Looks good to me!

QUOTE(generalstuff)
Thanks, by GPU I mean Graphics Processing Unit, maybe the pictures will explain better.

I'm sure he knew what you meant by GPU, but not your explanation of what you meant by cooling it as many things have been done to different boxes here.

Hm... I haven't seen a CPU heat sink of that style yet. I must be behind the times or something.

Edited by Stikken, 28 December 2007 - 10:47 PM.

#5 andremello2000

andremello2000

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE(Stikken @ Dec 28 2007, 11:22 PM) View Post

Looks good to me!
I'm sure he knew what you meant by GPU, but not your explanation of what you meant by cooling it as many things have been done to different boxes here.
Hm... I haven't seen a CPU heat sink of that style yet. I must be behind the times or something.

thats the falcon mobo

also, I did the same mod on my launch console (I replaced the original GPU heatsink with the newer GPU ones), congrats for the mod

#6 generalstuff

generalstuff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Yes, sorry for telling you to suck eggs, I actually realised that he would know after sumbitting it smile.gif, I hope the pictures explain it.

The XBOX is an Elite with the new 65nm chip and 175W power supply, so in theory it runs cooler in any case, I guess Microsoft have also added the heatpipe with heatsink to keep it a bit cooler.

#7 Samsun

Samsun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:14 PM

I'm looking to do some similar mods on my falcon Arcade and have a few questions.

1. I think I remember reading somewhere that you need an adapter for the Talismoon fans on falcon boards. Am I remembering right? If so where can I get one?

2. Are the new heatsinks attached by the x-clamps in the same way as before? If so I think I will replace them with the tap and die method as it seems to be the best way if you have the right hardware.

I thought I had more questions but cant think of them now tongue.gif

Good job on the mods btw. Have you considered the replacing the x-clamps as a precaution? You could also do RGBtech's fan divider mod, its very easy

Edited by Samsun, 29 December 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#8 SphtKr76

SphtKr76

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:14 AM

Good on ya with the extra fan. i plan on adding one to my Elite if/when it ever dies on me. Mine is the older model with old style heat sinks, Zephyr mobo.

#9 Murderface

Murderface

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:29 AM

Looks good but make sure to do rbjtech's mk3 x-clamp removal. I'm planning on getting an elite but I want to know should I mod it as soon as I get it, or leave it alone and keep the warranty.

#10 SinnfulDayz

SinnfulDayz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:46 PM

I thought about doing that to the extended GPU Sink but haven't decided if it would be much effective since it might take away from the setup I already have. You should consider doing what I did to mine. And no it is not only on Falcon mobo... mine is a Zephyr.. MFG Date (March 10, 2007) first of the kind for Elites and I have it. I do like what you did with your Elite... very nice...

I cracked mine open the night I got it and started modding. I never get warranties... just for this reason alone...

I beleive yes, the heat sinks are attatched the same way or at least looks like it from the Premi I had before...

And as for the fans in the back... you need to get an adapter from Llama.com or just do the 12v solder like I did but not from the DVD connection but from the power connection or you can find a way to wire it to the stock connector somewhere in the forum, not sure where tho...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by SinnfulDayz, 30 December 2007 - 10:50 PM.

#11 generalstuff

generalstuff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

Samsun, to answer your question, you do not need an additional adaptor, the fans came with a little connector that converts it from the larger to the smaller xbox fan connector, I then soldered the smaller fan onto this connector, you can see it stuck to the back , just left of the back fans.

SinnfulDayz, I like your mod, thanks for the pictures, I have been thinking how to integrate yours with mine, but to be honest my xbox runs pretty cool now.

From what I have read from previous threads and experienced myself with temp measurements is that the CPU runs much cooler than the GPU. The aim was therefore to try and cool down the GPU more. There are also some threads on adding a division to the duct at the back that allows the fans at the back to suck more air through the GPU. My small fan connected on the heat pipe sink already works quite well though. If I had to guess the air ratio between the GPU and CPU I would have to say about 30% // 70%, this I think is mainly due to the fans at the back being more aligned with the CPU heat sink and also the CPU fan is higher and has bigger gaps between the heat sink fin.

One nice mod to cool it down more would be to cut I hole right above that GPU Fan, I however dont know how to make this look nice, once you start cutting the outside case it normally doesnt look that professional. I am still looking for a nice 60mm fan grid that I might be able to use there...

If there is one mod I am however looking for it is to quite the xbox360 noise down even further, with the back fan mod it went from a Boeing 747 to a Vacuum Cleaner, but I would like to get it down to my PS3 sound level. I think the only thing that will work and keep the same airflow is to come up with a larger and more efficient blade design.

#12 Samsun

Samsun

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(generalstuff @ Jan 5 2008, 02:30 PM) View Post

If there is one mod I am however looking for it is to quite the xbox360 noise down even further, with the back fan mod it went from a Boeing 747 to a Vacuum Cleaner, but I would like to get it down to my PS3 sound level. I think the only thing that will work and keep the same airflow is to come up with a larger and more efficient blade design.

Most of the noise comes from the dvd drive. Flash it to 8x maybe

#13 generalstuff

generalstuff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:55 AM

Nah, it is the fans, I tried it with 5x and 8x and taken the DVD out, You can hear it when it does come on though, all I can hear now from it is that tri, tri, trit, tri tri tri tit sound from it accessing the CD, the humming spinning noise is gone smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users