• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pista

Pista

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 01:12 PM

I got a Chameleon mod chip installed, but I can't flash a new BIOS. I have the Chameleon in Mode 4 and I got Evox D.6 bios that I burned onto a cd-rw both as an xiso and not.

When I turn the box on, the Linux bios boots and is waiting for the dvd drive, but when I insert, it does nothing.

I have Xbox ver 1.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated... This has kept me up at night biggrin.gif

#2 Spork

Spork

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 02:54 PM

You renamed the file LINUXBIO.BIN like it tells you to in the manual, right?

#3 Pista

Pista

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 05:22 PM

Yes, I got a new bios (EvoX_D.6_EjectFix), re named it to LINUXBIO.BIN, ran xISO on the directory it was in, burned it on a CD-RW using NERO using Track-at-once and finalize on. uhh.gif

Do I need to use xISO, or can I just burn it on the CD?
Also, I am burning it at 4x speed since this is the slowest speed my drive supports, is this the reason my drive does not see it?

PS: what is this *.nfo file that comes with the bios, it is not a Windows Info file because I can't open it... do I have to put that on the CD? huh.gif

#4 Blkout

Blkout

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 07:51 PM

I'm curious about this as well, I flashed my BIOS to the D6 BIOS when I originally installed the mod chip(Chameleon) and now I was wanting to reflash the BIOS to the X2 4976.02 but I guess I'm doing something wrong because I insert a CD-RW with the BIOS on it labled LINUXBIO.BIN and it does nothing.

Can someone help us here? sad.gif

Edited by Blkout, 09 June 2003 - 07:51 PM.

#5 dink

dink

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:07 PM

I had a similar situation. I had to do the following.
1. Use a BRAND NEW CD-RW (I used Maxwell) Other types What type of CDRW, DVD-R, DVD+R
2. Add a 40 meg DUMMY.BIN file. (2 files, LINUXBIO.BIN & DUMMY.BIN)
3. Burned and finalized it with NERO (4x)
4. Reboot the xbox a few times, until it finally read the CDRW. (I have a Phillips DVD in a 1.0 xbox)

Hope this helps.

#6 Pista

Pista

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 02:16 AM

Thanks dink, I got mine to work too

This is how I did it:
-Flip the Chameleon to Mode 1 Bank 1
-Got a bios and renamed to LINUXBIO.BIN
-Got a dummy.bin file (mine was 512 mb... got it from the evolutionx_beta_v1.8.3752-Dummy-Static.rar)
-Burn the two files using Nero using
-ISO level 1 (8+3 char)
-Mode 1
-ISO 9660
-Finalize CD
-Disk-At-Once
-4x
-Had to reboot a few times, but it worked beerchug.gif
-Flip the Chameleon back to Mode 4

All I have to do now is to figure out how to get my HDD formated dry.gif

#7 Blkout

Blkout

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:13 AM

Well, mine still doesn't work like its supposed to. I have the D6 bios installed in bank 0, chip is running in mode 1(4x256). I want to flash bank 1 using another bios so I was under the impression that I just flip the dip switches to bank 1 and then do the same procedure as I did for bank 0. Well, I tried many times last night and I made a CDRW with a 500MB dummy BIN file and the new bios labeled LINUXBIO.BIN, I insert the CDRW when the Cromwell bios comes up and it says its flashing the chip and then shuts down, which seems normal, that's how the first bios worked. But then when I turn the Xbox power back on, it brings me right back to the Cromwell bios again, almost like it never flashed or something.

Also, where is the software option to switch bios's in the EvoX dashboard? I don't see an option to change bios's. huh.gif

#8 dink

dink

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 02:39 PM

No matter what bank you boot from, 0,1,2,3 thats has the Cromwell 1.8 on it, it will ONLY flash BANK 0! To flash the other banks needs to be done via another method. (Evox or matrix programmer)

To flash via Evox, read the docs. Also a thread describing this. Evox settings for Chameleon READ PPL

Edited by dink, 10 June 2003 - 02:42 PM.

#9 Blkout

Blkout

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (dink @ Jun 10 2003, 04:39 PM)
No matter what bank you boot from, 0,1,2,3 thats has the Cromwell 1.8 on it, it will ONLY flash BANK 0! To flash the other banks needs to be done via another method. (Evox or matrix programmer)

To flash via Evox, read the docs. Also a thread describing this. Evox settings for Chameleon READ PPL

Well, is it normal for the EVOX dash to show the BIOS as unknown? I can't
tell if it flashed the BIOS or not because it does not show the BIOS version
or name in EVOX. I knew when my first flashed worked, obviously, because it
did not boot into Cromwell, but I can't tell now because it already had the
D6 BIOS and it showed up as unknown in the EVOX dash.

#10 Blkout

Blkout

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 07:34 PM

Nevermind, all is well, I just needed to update my list of ROM's in my ini file so that EVOX would display the correct BIOS. It has been flashed and all is good now. tongue.gif

#11 dink

dink

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 04:03 PM

good job! Persistance pays off again. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users