• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 portok

portok

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

Alright, I fixed the excessive fan noise my xbox 360 was making by replacing the thermal paste with some cheap heat-sink grease. Onto the next problem. Once in awhile, when I close the DVD drive, it just automatically reopens. I have opened the DVD drive, and watched what happens. Normally, the laser lights up to check for a disc when the drive closes. When the reopening thing happens, the laser never even lights up, the drive just reopens. Any ideas?

#2 RickH

RickH

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(portok @ Dec 30 2007, 02:28 PM) View Post

Alright, I fixed the excessive fan noise my xbox 360 was making by replacing the thermal paste with some cheap heat-sink grease. Onto the next problem. Once in awhile, when I close the DVD drive, it just automatically reopens. I have opened the DVD drive, and watched what happens. Normally, the laser lights up to check for a disc when the drive closes. When the reopening thing happens, the laser never even lights up, the drive just reopens. Any ideas?
You describe the exact problem I had with one of my Samsung drives. It would take me 7-8 closings to get the unit to read the disk. The symptom is as follows:

Close tray. Green Light on front of circle keeps flashing never goes solid. Disk does not spin (exact position it was in when you closed the tray). Tray reopens. Try again. Same result disk does not move, green light does not go solid. Finally after many tries the green light goes solid, disks starts to spin and game starts.

I have found two possible problems for this:

1) Sensor that detects the drive is closed is dirty. Remove the board it is mounted on and clean it with parts cleaner (do not open it just spray in the side of the sensor). If you don't have parts cleaner you can try cycling it about twenty times with your finger. Sometimes it will clean itself. The Samsung has the open and close sensor together on one switch. Clean them both or cycle them both.

2) Drive belt or tray mechanism is not lifting the tray completely. Try cleaning the drive belt and lubricating the pins that lift and lower the tray mechanism. Use a fine machine oil sparingly.

Please report your results here so we can pass them on to others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users