7 replies to this topic

#1 Dougmeister

Dougmeister

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

New to the 360 scene. Have a modded XBox w/ XBMC installed, so that's what I'm used to.

Am trying to do 2 dif't things.

First priority is to get DVDs I've burned (DivX, MPEG-2 stuff from my ReplayTV, etc.) in the XBox 360.

Second priority is to get the 360 to "see" my computer on the network. It is running XP Pro w/ SP2. I have no priority updates that need to be installed, and the only optional software updates that Windows Update shows me are:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416)
Root Certificates Update
Update for Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 Service Pack 1 (KB934268)
Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP (KB925876)
Update for Windows XP (KB920342)
Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520)
Update for Windows XP (KB896344)

None of which seem to relate to Windows Media Player. Reading this thread here:

Thread

and not seeing the icon for Windows Media Connect in my control panel.

The 360 won't see my PC. I wrote down a special key that it told me to remember, but I see no place to input it in my computer. I followed the steps on Microsoft's site to enable sharing through Windows Media Player, but no prompt.

What should I do? Is solving one problem going to help with the other? Which should I tackle first?

Thanks.

#2 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

ok:

1. When you've inserted your disc with video/audio etc, it states 'Mixed Media Disc'. From here, go into the corresponding category (Video, Music, Pictures etc) on the media blade and you should be able to select the disc as a source. Your content is reachable from here.

2. If you're getting a code to enter, it sounds as if you're trying to configure Windows Media Center extender which is not supported on XP. Neither is Windows Media Connect any more. You need to install Windows Media Player 11 and any relevant updates. I suggest checking the troubleshooting guides over at Xbox.com for additional help on this.

#3 Dougmeister

Dougmeister

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:27 AM

To keep things more simple, I will only address the mixed-mode DVDs in this thread.

I put in an SVCD and followed your instructions. The 360 told me that it couldn't find any video files, even though I browsed right to the MPEG folder on the SVCD. There is an MPEG file in that folder. Any ideas? I will try a DivX file later tomorrow.

#4 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

SVCD is MPEG-2 which is not supported from the 360 dashboard. You need to play these through the Media Center Extender via a Windows XP Media Center Edition or Vista PC.

Here's a good FAQ I found which may help:

http://blogs.msdn.co...ayback-faq.aspx

#5 Dougmeister

Dougmeister

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the link and the info. The DivX worked fine, btw.

As for the other issue, maybe I'll start a new thread, but you're saying that without Windows XP MCE or Vista on my network, I won't be able to stream video?

I see my XP Pro SP2 computer on the 360, and a shared folder called "My Pictures" shows up, but it isn't the same folder as the "My Pictures" under "My Documents". It has some sort of demo file in it, and from what I can tell, is the "Demo" folder under "MotionDV STUDIO LE for DV" under "Program Files" on my C: drive. That folder, however is NOT shared, so I don't know how the 360 is even seeing it.

The 360 won't play the file anyway. I forget the error. Will post it later today.

Any ideas? Or is it a moot point running the OS that I'm running?

#6 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(Dougmeister @ Jan 1 2008, 04:10 PM)  

Thanks for the link and the info. The DivX worked fine, btw.

As for the other issue, maybe I'll start a new thread, but you're saying that without Windows XP MCE or Vista on my network, I won't be able to stream video?

No, that's not what I'm saying. If you want to watch MPEG-2 (i.e SVCD) content on the 360, it has to be via Vista / XP MCE and using the 360 as a Media Center Extender. You can stream wmv, divx, mpeg4 etc via an XP machine running WMP11 just fine.

The files you see available from your PC are listed in the 'library' part of WMP11. In there, you can specify which folders to include, as well as grant/deny permission to any compatible devices (i.e 360). If you're seeing a pictures folder from your computer on the 360, go into WMP11 and Select Tools/Options/Library and see what folders are already being scanned. Not everything is added by default and it doesn't understand SMB shares like the XBMC for Xbox1 does.

#7 Dougmeister

Dougmeister

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:18 AM

Ah. Thanks for the info, then. I have more DivX than MPEG-2, and most of the MPEG-2 stuff is already burned on DVD anyway.

Thanks again for all of your help.

#8 Dougmeister

Dougmeister

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 11:37 PM

Just curious. Why won't the 360 play MPEG-2 natively? Why does it have to stream it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users