8 replies to this topic

#1 shakeyplace

shakeyplace

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:47 AM

Last week my son phoned me and said his xbox quit reading game disks at all, gave him an error "please insert disk". The drive was flashed a few months ago and has been working fine. My question is if there are separate lasers for cds and dvds as cds play fine, and if so is this consistant with a burned out laser, or does anyone have other suggestions. I tried original game and movie dvds with zero success so I think a pot calibration probably wouldn't help since it reads no original dvds at all. unsure.gif

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:30 AM

It's not uncommon for a bad laser to read only CDs and not DVDs, the POTs for adjusting them are separate anyway. Give adjusting it a try, not gonna make it any worse really, if that doesn't work a replacement laser should fix it up.

#3 shakeyplace

shakeyplace

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:05 AM

Thanks RDC, I opened the drive, calibrated the pot to 3.18 and I noticed the flat ribbon coming to the laser had a crease before I started, I questioned my son and it seems that a day before all this happened a disk had trouble ejecting! I guess the ribbon cable must have somehow snagged... I guess that I need a new cable or else replace the drive. Thanks for your help, at least now I know the cause and what I must do.. biggrin.gif

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:58 AM

A crease in the cable is no biggie, long as it's not bent over and over again until the point that it breaks.

#5 shakeyplace

shakeyplace

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:31 AM

Hmm, I think you may be right on that, but it does not even give a dirty disk error, it is as if no disk is even in the tray when any dvd is in, the message reads please insert a cd, dvd or game disk, It still reads cds fine and I have tried many different dvds, games, not even a dirty disk error on any. I tried turning the cable around hoping it may read dvds but not cds and the result is the same. please insert a cd, dvd or game disk. If I at least ha a dirty disk error I would calibrate the laser lower but that is not the case..
The drive works properly, plays music cds, just does not even recognise any dvd, movies or games...
Any other thoughts?

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

I think that ya haven't even tried what I suggested so far, based on your assumptions that just because it's not even trying to read a DVD it has to be adjusted fine, that's right odd wouldn't ya say? One of the two things I've already mentioned is bound to fix it up. It more than likely needs a new laser, but trying a POT tweak on it's not gonna hurt a thing. The only other options ya have are restoring the FW to stock and seeing what that does (possible the hacked FW is messed up somehow, but not likely since it was working fine before) or replacing the drive and that should only be done after the order of POT tweak, new laser, FW restore. If it were a problem with the motor (common on Hitachi drives) then it wouldn't even read CDs, so it's a laser issue or a FW one and since it worked before ya have to lean more towards the laser at first, hence POT tweak then replacement. It's entirely possible ya have a really messed up drive that just decided to go all screwy on ya for no reason and possibly may need replaced anyway, that's one of the 'fun' things about electronics sometimes, but if ya don't start troubleshooting from the ground up and look into the more 'common' problem areas first then you can make assumptions all day and night long as to what's wrong with it, but that's not gonna get the thing working again. wink.gif

#7 shakeyplace

shakeyplace

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

I did try pot tweak, at least somewhat, It was at 3.73 (stock) and I tweaked it to 3.18 I (the tut suggests 3-3.4) I guess that I have nothing to lose to try lower but I was hoping that I may have overlooked something that you may(before burning out laser) know about this. I tried updating the firmware to newer, process went fine but didn't help. the laser does work since I see the glow of the laser through the top when no disk is inserted and it does read cds. also this seems to have happened all of a sudden in the middle of a game, not something gradual. I have ordered a new laser off ebay but was wondering, since the laser does seem to be still working( at least not burned out) if anyone knew from what I described or if something similar happened to anyone, if anyone that knows more about these thought it would be more likely the laser or the drive screwed up?
I will try tweaking the laser lower, nothing to lose now if it burns out. If you do think of something else let me know, otherwise...
Thank you for all your help and please have a Happy New Year !

#8 shakeyplace

shakeyplace

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

Awww.. wrecked contacts on ribbon between laser and board, I guess I do have to order new drive now!
Thanks again

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Just because the lights on doesn't mean anyone is at home, the thing lighting up and working (properly) have no correlation at all. Depending on which drive and how you went about updating the FW that could possibly have made things worse and wasn't a suggestion to try anyway because of it. You can get just the flex cable and don't need a whole new drive either, though as previously stated you could very well have a tanked drive for whatever reason and possibly may need one. Look around online for just the cable if ya don't want to invest in a new drive just yet (flex cable, ribbon cable from laser to board and the Samsung and Hitachi ones are different) or post ya need it in the 360 B/S/T section of the forums, bound to be a few someone has in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users