• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zerofex

Zerofex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

Well this is named newbie chat so I figured this is the best place to post biggrin.gif

My friend insisted on tearing my xbox apart to flash it, and I agreed, seeing as how my warrenty was void anyways. He told me I was very lucky, that my drive was a "ROM VER: 0059DJ" and that it was very easy to flash. Is this true? He also said there was some sort of utility I could get that would make flashing a breeze. Is a 0059DJ easiest to flash? If so, why is it easier than the rest?

Thanks in advance for any answers you provide!

#2 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hi - you have a Hitachi v59 drive. Hitachi drives don't actually get reflashed as such - the sectors in the firmware which need to be modified for backups are done so, without touching the rest of the firmware data. Firmware Toolbox does this and as long as you have a stable machine, it should do it without much problem.

HOWEVER..

It has been known for Firmware Toolbox to crash part-way through patching for whatever reason (usually due to the state of your Operating System), rendering your drive unable to go back into ModeB. Whilst it's rare to happen, it's worth noting that it can. If you use Firmware Toolbox (v4.6 latest version), read the tutorials.txt file supplied to give you an understanding on how to use it.

As for the easiest drive to flash, personally I'd say it's the Samsung MS25/MS28 with a VIA 6421 PCI card. I've never had a problem with it and doesn't depend on your Windows OS stability.

#3 Zerofex

Zerofex

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Jan 1 2008, 03:12 PM) View Post

Hi - you have a Hitachi v59 drive. Hitachi drives don't actually get reflashed as such - the sectors in the firmware which need to be modified for backups are done so, without touching the rest of the firmware data. Firmware Toolbox does this and as long as you have a stable machine, it should do it without much problem.

HOWEVER..

It has been known for Firmware Toolbox to crash part-way through patching for whatever reason (usually due to the state of your Operating System), rendering your drive unable to go back into ModeB. Whilst it's rare to happen, it's worth noting that it can. If you use Firmware Toolbox (v4.6 latest version), read the tutorials.txt file supplied to give you an understanding on how to use it.

Very interesting. I'm not too worried about the glitch you described, however I am worried about using firmware toolbox. From what I heard, its possible that it leaves several security holes when it flashes your drive. I have no idea if its true or not, so could somebody comment on this? If its safer, I can flash it with DOS as well.

Edit: I nearly forgot! Is the X firmware the most secure at the moment? Which of the 3 would you reccomend I use for maximum security?

Thanks!

Edited by Zerofex, 02 January 2008 - 12:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users