14 replies to this topic

#1 slappynutz

slappynutz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 06:17 PM

I'm sure that button mapping is going to be implemented soon, but in the meantime I'm just wondering what everyone thinks should be the default layout.

It's definately functional now, but I think it might work a bit better if the buttons were laid out more like the actual N64 keypad.

What I'd do:

A Button: A on Xbox
B Button: X on Xbox (more like the real position on the N64 pad)

C buttons: Right Stick (I'm using a Controller S, though it would make sense to map them to Y, B, Bl, Wt for the original Xbox controller)

Z Button: Left Trigger (on N64, the Z trigger is directly under the analog stick, and it would seem more logical to put it under the Xbox analog stick as well. Couldn't get used to long jumping in Mario 64 with the Right Trigger)

R Button: Right Trigger (again, to make it more like the original N64 controller ... right now it's not even mapped)

L Button: Anything. The Back button? I can hardly remember any N64 games that even used it. Maybe the White button. Or the Y. Doesn't matter really.

What do you think?

#2 Blackbolt

Blackbolt

Skin God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 June 2003 - 07:45 PM

This is the greatest set up:

Start = Start
L= Left Trigger
R= Right Trigger
Z= Left Thumbstick Button
A= A Button
B= B Button
C Buttons = Right Stick (Make sure diagonal is Supported!!!!!)
DPAD= DPAD

There you go, done, leaving White, Black, X and Y for functions!! and right stick button too and Back!

#3 psxpirate1

psxpirate1

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 09 June 2003 - 08:03 PM

Why not just have a setup so people can configure things any way they want. Just push a button and that's what that button is a-la Timesplitters 2. I'm just grateful to have a working N64 emulator. laugh.gif

#4 Kursor

Kursor

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:36 PM

Fully customizable button config would be best. The following should be the default

N64 : XBox
A : A
B : X
Z : L
R : R
L : Back (L button is rarely used in N64 games. Only used with games that required the digital pad. It's never used concurrently if the analog stick is being used)

C buttons : Right Thumb Stick (Good for Camera changes and 1st Person Shooters)
Also have them mapped to the buttons (Fighters, other games that work better with buttons than the stick)
C-Up : White
C-Right : Black
C-Down : B
C-Left : Y

Sorry, I keep forgetting the Xbox has a 'Back' button, not a 'Select' button biggrin.gif

Edited by Kursor, 10 June 2003 - 02:53 AM.

#5 Jse

Jse

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 09:53 PM

A = A
B = X
C up = WHITE
Cright = BLACK
C down = B
C left = Y

analog = left analog
z = left analog in
L + R = L + R
START = START

perfect configuration

#6 outofline

outofline

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:12 PM

z = left analog in

NO! This isn't a good idea! Clicking the stick in while moving around a lot would suck.

Go fully customizable but set default like Kursor said (L button not used often).

#7 51mmz0rz

51mmz0rz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 10:30 PM

I think it would be nice to be able to configure one default profile, and then custom profiles based on the game. Playing Perfect Dark and Killer Instinct Gold require much different controls. Being able to define your own controls is a must;

It would be great if the customization could be loaded seperatly for each game, so you didn't have to reconfigure everytime. As long as the profiles don't take up signifcant room, it would be nice. You could also have profiles based on genre. Of course, there is no rush for either, it's great just to have this first release.

As far as an optimal default button config....It's really hard. I would only have one suggestion. Make L under the left stick. Its barely used in most games. For fighting games, make C-Up the left trigger and C-right the right trigger for strong punch and kick. Using the right analog stick is as c-buttons is a good idea for games that only use C for view.

#8 Jse

Jse

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:31 PM

i have been using z as left analog in on pj64 for the pc for a few months works great

#9 slappynutz

slappynutz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:42 PM

Clicking the stick for Z is a terrible idea. Since Z is essentially a trigger button just under the control stick on the original N64 controller, it only makes sense to map the Z button to the L Trigger. None of the games you want to play (none of the AAA N64 games anyway) even use the L button on the N64 pad ... it's no great loss.

#10 spIdeZ

spIdeZ

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 11:42 PM

Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone else does too.

That was directed at jse.

Edited by spIdeZ, 09 June 2003 - 11:43 PM.

#11 EvilRabidPenguin

EvilRabidPenguin

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:05 AM

I say have the controls customizable for each controller, so that each person can have their own configuration. I don't want it to be like Nester-X where you can config the first controller but not the second.

#12 Elite-Jut

Elite-Jut

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 12:38 AM

I think that it should be set like this
n64 - xbox
c-buttons - a,b,x,y
a - white
b - black
r - r
z - l
dpad - dpad
joystick - i dunno... either could be good
l - one of the joystick button(l button is usual never used for anything that needs to be clicked often)

#13 SSSSSmokey

SSSSSmokey

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 04:42 AM

It NEEDS to be custom, with ability to save custom schemes for each game. For example, with THPS you can't use the stick as C-Buttons, but for Zelda and Mario you can.

#14 Gilga

Gilga

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 11:25 PM

I hope they add support for the adaptoid that would be so cool. Oh well one can only dream...

#15 pdexter

pdexter

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 12:01 AM

I think people need to take into account the different layouts of the standard Fat Controller and the Controller S.

It definately needs to be customisable, but as has been stated several times in the past, it will be!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users